Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ikebukuro Safe? 2018/1/4 12:28
I'm travelling to Japan in February as a solo female traveller.
I've booked a room in Toyoko Inn Ikebukuro (No.2) and I have just read that it is very close to the red light district.
I am wondering is it safe to walk alone at night from the station to the hotel?
How close is the red light district?
Have any females done this before?
I have heard that it will be safe but I wanted to check.
Thank you for your help.
by Kell88  

Re: Ikebukuro Safe? 2018/1/4 12:50
I stayed in Ikebukuro as a solo, midtwenties, blonde female last year. No issues whatsoever. You will be fine!
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ikebukuro Safe? 2018/1/4 12:51
That area is fine. I didn't even know a red light area existed there.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Ikebukuro Safe? 2018/1/4 16:58
There are some areas that might classify as "seedy", because they have more love-hotels, but nothing that would put people off from staying in the area as far as safety is concerned.
These questions come up periodically, but the general point is that most tourists have a hard job accidentally getting into trouble. The exceptions are people that deliberately do something foolish (like an acquaintance I know that stole a bicycle for a joke). Last time I saw a "kerfuffle" in Kabukicho one morning (guys had been drinking all night), the security personnel were on the spot keeping bystanders safe until six police cars turned up to have a chat.
Japan is one of the more ridiculously safe countries I know of, even in areas that I can think of that might get classified as "dangerous" you would be much safer in the middle of the night alone than some other places in the middle of the day with friends.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Ikebukuro Safe? 2018/1/4 17:01
Arigato! You have all made me feel much more comfortable.
by Kell88 rate this post as useful

Re: Ikebukuro Safe? 2018/1/4 17:27
Do excercise common sense though. Japan is a very safe country, but that doesn't mean 100% safety is guaranteed. But as said, you'll be fine. Ikebukuro is a perfectly fine neighbourhood by any standard.
by thany rate this post as useful

Re: Ikebukuro Safe? 2018/1/4 21:57
If you are only walking through or go for a meal at a proper restaurant, you will be safe in Kabukicho, only if you are drunk, or intend to use the entertainment service including a drinking at a pub, then, you will have a chance of loosing alot of money.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Ikebukuro Safe? 2018/1/4 23:27
I consider Ikebukuro to be 100% safe and would have no qualms staying there. However, about 10 years ago I did have a young Japanese guy who would just not stop following me. I was a solo female traveler. Now the guy looked young and was not much bigger than me so it wasn't scary, but it was mildly annoying. I don't know what his endgame was, because I didn't have the time or inclination to chat with him, but he did follow me out of Ikebukuro Station to Animate. He kept trying to have a conversation with me but I kept telling him I was busy/ignoring him. He finally left after I embarrassed him with what I was shopping for in Animate.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Ikebukuro Safe? 2018/1/4 23:42
I think its unnecessary to say you are blond, what does that make for a difference.

On matter what color your hair, probably only a very tiny percentage of every population would be really good looking.

To the question from all i Heard, read and saw. Japan seems to me one of the safest spots on earth.
Red light should be very Safe, they all want to make Business and already have experience finding weird looking fellows.

If i were a woman who looked really good i would feel saver in a red light district than in a gated community of billionaires.
by Itsmeagain (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ikebukuro Safe? 2018/1/5 03:07
Um, usually when women are thinking about things like harassment and sexual assault, how good looking some guy might think we are is not of great importance. Just my experience. Women of all varieties are victims of this.

@Kell88 Ikebukuro is fine. Ifve walked there alone at all hours and never had any problems. I donft know where youfre from but in my country it comes nowhere near to qualifying as a red light district. Exercise the same caution that you would in any busy city environment, but I think you will be just fine.
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ikebukuro Safe? 2018/1/5 04:10
The Woman implied she was more likely to be assaulted because she is blond.

Re: Ikebukuro Safe? 2018/1/5 06:30
The implication could be that because she is blonde, she will stick out as a tourist/foreigner and be more conspicuous and perhaps more likely to be taken advantage of. That's how I read it.
by btdgreg (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ikebukuro Safe? 2018/1/5 08:09
Than im very sorry for my rudeness, people always take advantage of me because im not very bright and look like a victim. Thats really annoying.

Re: Ikebukuro Safe? 2018/1/5 09:06
I mentioned that I am blonde for the reason someone else stated, that I will stand out more in Japan, and may attract unwanted attention due to that (which I have: locals asking me for photos, etc. - one even with their pet dog!). Thanks for assuming I think highly of myself.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread