Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

A nice title for letter 2018/1/5 13:04
I am currently writing a letter for loved one in japan, I barely know the japanese language, but I want the title to be interesting, so I just want to know if this is the correct kanji "僕は まだ 信じ" for "I still believe", Thanks. got it from google translator.
by Mio (guest)  

Re: A nice title for letter 2018/1/5 16:57
Are you male or female? Sorry for the direct question, but it’s kind of important to get the personal pronoun right.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: A nice title for letter 2018/1/6 15:58
The phrase/sentence you have is chopped up, that it is like "I still beli"

It doesn't say you still do believe, don't believe, want to believe, don't want to believe, as the end of the sentence determines the full meaning. And yes, gender matters. Since you are using "boku," I assume you are a young male.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: A nice title for letter 2018/1/8 16:00
I want the title to be interesting

Just to add to the other posters, what you find "interesting" may get lost in translation. For example, I do find the title "I still believe" interesting, but in the sense that it doesn't tell what you still believe. It is difficult to translate that lack of object within a direct Japanese translation of that phrase.

Meanwhile, you can still use 僕はまだ信じ to deliberately blur the last part as AK explains. In this case, you might want to add "..." at the end. So, 僕はまだ信じ・・・ will make this title seem like a kind of a riddle in which the reader cannot tell if you still believe or still not believe and so on.

By the way, I assume you are writing an email or a poem, because "letters" do not require titles be it in Japanese or English.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: A nice title for letter 2018/1/10 22:12
thanks for your feedback, guys, I'm a 25-year old guy. well, I want it to mean that "I still DO believe", but I want the title to say "I still believe", I was told "boku" was for male, so i started with that, and I was also told it can be "Watashi", anyway, the receiver of the letter is a 25-year old woman, if that is important. thanks guys.
by Mio (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A nice title for letter 2018/1/11 14:51
OK, then either "watashi" or "boku" is OK for first-person pronoun.

僕はまだ信じてる would be "I still believe," spoken by a guy. Still "believe in what?" part is missing, though.

And another thing... if you say "I STILL believe," it gives an interesting nuance to the sentence, something like either (1) you had an argument, and you want to bring it up and say "I still believe in my view that..." or (2) you were about to break up, but you STILL believe (it will work). I say (2) because the word "still" might add the nuance that there was doubt before.

Re: A nice title for letter 2018/1/11 16:42
Thank you AK! I really appreciate it, well that is what makes it mysterious and interesting, its like a cliff hanger, and you're actually right, I dated that woman in 5 years back in college, and it has been 5 years since we broke up, I have a girlfriend and she's getting married soon, well, I still believe that were meant to be, not maybe in this lifetime, but maybe on a different one. Thanks for all the feedback and assistance guys! - Mio
by Kidlat32 rate this post as useful

Re: A nice title for letter 2018/1/11 18:41
Oh is that the background... (scratching head)... if I were you, I would simply prefer to write to my ex-boyfriend with a sincere congratulatory message, with no ambiguous comments as if to test his feelings or something like that. But, oh well, maybe that's just me.

Re: A nice title for letter 2018/1/11 19:24
Haha Don't worry, we're good friends, you did not helped me in breaking up a couple ^_^ we're both happy now, it's just those what if's but we've already accepted that were not gonna be together in this life.
by Mio (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A nice title for letter 2018/1/11 20:18
Alright, that sounds fair (I am relieved). :)

reply to this thread