Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Renew wedding vows in Japan 2018/1/5 22:01
Hi I'm traveling to Japan in April 2018 with my family it's also my 10 year wedding anniversary. I want to have a traditional Japanese renew of vows ceremony. we are traveling to Tokyo and Osaka. I would like to have it in a shrine, I want the whole traditional outfit and all. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
TA
by Baba Lee  

Re: Renew wedding vows in Japan 2018/1/6 11:34
A lot of the major shrine have websites and contact emails. Worth shooting them an email.

I'd like to note that early April is a busy tourist season, so don't expect to have the shrine or temple to yourself.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Renew wedding vows in Japan 2018/1/6 15:55
Since "renew of vows" is not a part of Japanese tradition, you might want to consider something like this:
http://wrappedinjapan.jp/

(Not a personal recommendation, but just came across this when I searched for "renewal of vows ceremony Japan".)

OK, an article about renewal of vows in Japan:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/12/24/national/renewing-wedding...
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Renew wedding vows in Japan 2018/1/8 15:49
you might want to consider something like this

Wow, that indeed is innovative. Thanks, AK, and sorry to have barged in, but I just had to comment.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Renew wedding vows in Japan 2018/1/8 18:43
Uco-san,
I was surprised to find that site too.

Baba Lee,
In Japan the "renewing the vow" or ceremony many years after their marriage is somewhat of a private affair, like the husband buying the wife some gift on a special anniversary or something, OR a bride who missed wearing a wedding dress when they were younger wishing to do the ceremonial part or dress for a photo session, and usually does not involve any priest helping with a vow (as far as I know).

So I thought that going and asking directly at any shrine might confuse the shrine. If what you are looking for is a ceremony "in traditional Japanese style," I thought this might fit.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread