Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Honeymoon Itinerary suggestions 2018/1/6 06:23
Hi Everyone,

We are looking at coming back to Japan for our honeymoon for 2 weeks in Sept next year and are looking for suggestions on where to go.
We have already been to Japan a few years ago and went to Tokyo-Nikko-Takayama-Kyoto-Hiroshima-Miyajima-Nara-Hakone
We had an amazing time but would like to see some different places this time.

We would be flying in and out of Tokyo so would need to start and finish there, and would like to go to a nice onsen at some point on the trip, and would like a balance of cities and rural countryside places.

We have had Okinawa recommended as a honeymoon option but as this seems quite far away we're not sure if it would be expensive to get to/would take up too much time on the trip?

Can anyone help with any suggestions on routes?

Thanks! :-)
by RachelS89  

Re: Honeymoon Itinerary suggestions 2018/1/6 13:40
There are of course numerous places you could go - although it would certainly help if you gave more info on your interests.
Some areas you might consider are Kamakura, the Fuji 5 Lakes, Karuizawa, Kanazawa, Takamatsu, Nagasaki, Fukuoka, Nagasaki and Kagoshima. If you have the time and like hiking, Yakushima is surreal. Okinawa and Hokkaido would also both be very good places to visit. Neither needs to be expensive at all - you can take a low cost carrier for dirt cheap such as Jet Star or Peach.
http://www.jetstar.com/jp/en/home
http://www.flypeach.com/pc/en
Or use something like ANA's Experience Japan Fare.
http://ana.ms/20Xtf8t
You can fly to either from Tokyo is less than 2 hours.

Hot springs are all over the country. You could go to Kusatsu in Gunma from Tokyo, or from Kansai there is Kinosaki. Kyushu has a huge number of places including Kurokawa, Beppu, Yufuin, Unzen, Takeo, and many more.
Since it's your honeymoon, you could stay at any number of Love Hotels. They are not expensive and each night can make a unique memory.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2031.html
http://bit.ly/2Cx3SR6

Nobody can suggest routes until you decide your destinations. Only you know what you like best.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon Itinerary suggestions 2018/1/6 16:53
I would suggest the Tohoku region - it should have everything you're looking for. Or Kyushu.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon Itinerary suggestions 2018/1/6 16:53
I like the suggestion of Kyushu. Between the picturesque beaches of Miyazaki or the numerous inland onsen towns. I'm sure you'd have a lovely honeymoon.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon Itinerary suggestions 2018/1/6 18:07
Depending on your heat tolerance I would suggest Tohoku:
Yamadera, Tono valley, Hiraizumi, Kakodate, Ginzan onsen, Nyuto onsen and for cities either Sendai or simply some days in Tokyo where there are more things to discover.
I also enjoyed Sado island on the Hokuriku side of Japan a lot. And you could combine that with Kanazawa.

Just my idea, but as a previous poster said, itfs your honeymoon, so you need to decide. This webpage here however is a great starting point.

Enjoy planning your trip.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon Itinerary suggestions 2018/1/6 23:12
Also, you might not need to fly in and out of Tokyo (although I know that it's the only direct flight you can take from London to Japan).

For example, a couple of trips ago, we flew Korean Air from LHR to Seoul. We had a stopover there - it's a nice place to spend a few days - but we could have jumped straight onto another plane. From Seoul you have a choice to fly to any of a large number of regional Japanese airports. We flew Seoul to Okayama, then spent two weeks in Japan, ending up in Fukuoka, from where we flew back to London, changing planes briefly in Seoul.

It had the advantage of letting us spend a few days in another country, and the entire flight time on the way home - including changing planes - was only about 2 hrs longer than flying direct from Tokyo to London. We didn't go to Tokyo at all on that trip, and if we'd have had to fly in/out of there, it would have taken more time than changing planes in Seoul, since our entire holiday was in southern Japan.

We've also been to Hokkaido as part of a holiday where we flew London to Hong Kong, and then on to Japan. I assume that there are several other nearby countries in Asia where you can do the same thing. They've just started direct flights from the UK to Taiwan, for instance, and IIRC, EVA Air fly from Taiwan to Japan in Hello Kitty themed planes, which might be fun.

The other thing you can do, of course, is to fly into Tokyo and immediately fly out of the same airport to somewhere else in Japan. On our last trip, we flew LHR to Haneda, and then immediately on to Okinawa. We then spent two weeks wending our way back to Tokyo, from where we flew home. Taking an internal flight can be good value, is very quick, and means that your itinerary can be a straight line, rather than a circle.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon Itinerary suggestions 2018/1/7 07:19
Thanks everyone for your suggestions they've been really useful!
I think we will definately fly upto Hokkaido for a few days and are thinking of stopping in Matsushima on the way back to Tokyo.
We definately want to go to the Fuji 5 lakes as well and may look at incorporating a ryokan stay in here.
Is there any lake in particular anyone can recommend for the best views?
We would really like to see Kiso valley and do some walking around there, and would like to go to some traditional town a bit like Takayama so are looking at Kanazawa.
We would like to visit Okinawa but would only be able to fly down for a few days due to being on a limited time so are unsure which island we would be best going to?
We're looking for somewhere with nice beaches but also activities to do as well such as watersports?

Thanks,

Rachel
by RachelS89 rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon Itinerary suggestions 2018/1/7 07:29
You only have 2 weeks of honeymoon... unfortunately. But your list of places you want to visit now seems to long. Have a sit down with this web page and get it down to maybe 3 areas to visit, so you have about 5 days in each of the areas and can actually enjoy them.

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon Itinerary suggestions 2018/1/7 07:59
If you decide to go to Hokkaido, check out Marukoma Onsen ryokan.
Awesome lakeside bathing experience and a great ryokan
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon Itinerary suggestions 2018/1/7 08:00
Yup you wont have much time to go west of Tokyo if Hokkaido is part of you 14 day itinerary. As you require 5-7 days for major sights.

5 days tokyo
2 days fuji 5 lakes
2 days sendai
5 days hokkaido
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread