Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

San In coast-train or car? 2018/1/7 13:45
We are planning to holiday between Matsue and Hagi in March or early April this year. Hyperdia indicates that the local trains are slow and infrequent, and I wonder if we would get more out of hiring a car and driving the journey, or whether we should persist with the trains? It also seems there are a number of things to see and do, and some good places to stay, well off the train lines. I'd be looking at a one way hire, as we will continue on to Kyushu after Hagi.

We have travelled by train a fair bit in Japan and generally enjoy it, though (by way of benchmark/example) I don't find the train trip into Nagasaki particularly comfortable or enjoyable. We drove around Hokkaido last year and found it very easy and good.

I'd be grateful for commenters' experiences/opinions.
by Who? (guest)  

Re: San In coast-train or car? 2018/1/7 18:45
The San-In Coast is really pretty, but I would drive a car if possible. It's sparsely populated, which means there is only a single main train line. I've travelled via train and would travel via car if I was to do it again.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: San In coast-train or car? 2018/1/8 20:14
Thanks mfedley-I read your piece about the area-really interesting, and we're excited to get a bit off the beaten track. Sounds like picking up a car in Matsue and dropping it off at Hagi will be the way to go.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread