Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kumamoto/Fukuoka rental car locations 2018/1/8 04:27
hello everyone,
I will be in Kyushu early April 2018 and would like to rent a car from Kumamoto to explore Kurokawa and Yufuin onsen area, then preferably return the car to or near Fukuoka.
Can you please help me find an easy area for pick up car near or in Kumamoto and drop off car near or in Fukuoka. I am afraid of city driving and would like an easy area to pick up/drop off then I can take the train to the city center.
Thank you very much for your help!
MissCeeBee
by missceebee  

Re: Kumamoto/Fukuoka rental car locations 2018/1/8 12:40
5 second google search...

https://www.google.com.au/search?rlz=1C1GGGE___AU610AU612&q=kumamoto+c...

https://www.google.com.au/search?rlz=1C1GGGE___AU610AU612&tbm=lcl&ei=6...

You should be able to visually see which are further out of the city.

In fukuoka, I would recommend the airport locations.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto/Fukuoka rental car locations 2018/1/8 12:41
How are you getting to Kumamoto? Renting at airport and dropping it off at another would help you avoid city center.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto/Fukuoka rental car locations 2018/1/8 14:39
I am taking the shinkensen from Kyoto to Kumamoto.
Thank you all for your help.
MissCeeBee.
by missceebee rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto/Fukuoka rental car locations 2018/1/8 15:27
I donft know which country you are from, but city driving in Japan is not the same as letfs say in Italy or India. It is a very ordered affair. Yes, there are some narrow streets but if you rent close to the train station, streets are not so narrow (both in Kumamoto and Hakata). If you are still afraid, I would question if it is a good idea for you at all to drive a car.
If you drive to Kurokawa take a parking lot at the beginning of the village, as the village streets are narrow and full of pedestrians. (I donft know about Yufuin).

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto/Fukuoka rental car locations 2018/1/8 16:59
Im from the US. Ive been trying to find information if it is legal for US visitor to drive with a US license and International Driving Permit (from AAA.) it doesnt look like it is legal? How do US visitor get around with this? Thanks!

Re: Kumamoto/Fukuoka rental car locations 2018/1/8 17:26

Re: Kumamoto/Fukuoka rental car locations 2018/1/8 17:48
And here what your embassy has to say about the topic:

https://jp.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-c...

Im from the US. Ive been trying to find information if it is legal for US visitor to drive with a US license and International Driving Permit (from AAA.)
Wasnft terribly hard to find on the internet once you have mastered google...

Re: Kumamoto/Fukuoka rental car locations 2018/1/8 22:46
I'm American and I am planning to rent a car to drive around the Kumamoto area as well.

I'm planning to just rent near Fukuoka Airport, since it's easy to get to from Hakata and looks like it has an easy entry point onto the expressway. It's only about 20 minutes longer driving from Fukuoka Airport to Kurokawa onsen than from Kumamoto Station, so I'm not 100% sure why you wouldn't just rent and return your car from Fukuoka as you will spend that 20 minutes longer on the train.

Good luck on your trip! :D
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto/Fukuoka rental car locations 2018/1/9 14:38
I get the car from Kumamto because I plan to spend couple days there first before checking out the hotsprings.
Thank you for all your comment. I have booked a car from Kumamoto airport and return to Fukuoka airport.

reply to this thread