Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transportation within Chyuubu Region 2018/1/9 04:07
Hi Everyone!

We are sharpening our trip details and im getting confused a lot with the transport between these cities, in beforehand, we will stay for 5 days within those, can you help me organize?

We want to move between: Matsumoto-Tsumago/Magome-Takayama-ShirakawaGo- and finally to continue with our trip to Nagoya and beyond. We are travelling in February

We first thought in staying in matsumoto and move from there in 1 day trips, i've found the best way to move around there, for me, is with this 5-day pass: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_shoryudo.html, but it does not include magome/tsumago (we want to do the Kiso Valley trip), is this doable?

Few minor questions:
- Is Nagano worth visiting in winter?
- Is Gujo-Hachima good for a stopping place between Takayama - Nagoya, or more like an afternoon visit? In winter of course,
- Which sequence of visiting do you recommend us?

Feel free to add any comments, we are on a cheap-medium budget, top 5-6 days for this region.

Thanks for reading!
by Martinalejam  

Re: Transportation within Chyuubu Region 2018/1/9 19:06
Tsumago/Magome are between Matsumoto and Nagoya.

But before you go planing any itinerary. I would see if the walks and touristy stuff are open in the winter there. I don't believe they are, but not 100%.

But you go Matsumoto, Kiso Valley, Nagoya, Takayama, then Shirakawago. But really depends on the rest of your itinerary. All but Shirakawago are accessible by JR railway. So possible passes to use depend on your whole itinerary if you are willing to share.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation within Chyuubu Region 2018/1/10 07:48
Hmmm, will be sure to check that. Regarding your question, afterwards we are going to Kyoto and below, so it is better to travel by train within those cities? Won't be buying a JR Pass, found it that it wasn't very useful for what we want to do, so we skip it.

We will check about the availability of the tourism in those cities, thought that everything was open on February.

Thanks!
by Martinalejam rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation within Chyuubu Region 2018/1/10 08:43
Go straight to Kyoto from Shirakawago/Kanazawa. Not good going via Nagoya.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation within Chyuubu Region 2018/1/10 10:28
Hakata, why is that? We thought visiting nagoya for 2 days, not worth it during winter? Thanks for your replies, this part of japan is the only one left from reviewing, now im starting to understand why haha

Re: Transportation within Chyuubu Region 2018/1/10 14:15
I never typed not to visit Nagoya. Just not to go Shirakawago to Takayama to Nagoya to Kyoto. When you simply can do Shirakawago to Kanazawa to Kyoto. Otherwise you are wasting time and money zigzagging across Chubu.

The direction of travel I suggested in my first response had Nagoya in it. So if you have the need to visit Nagoya, do it between Kiso Valley and Takayama.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation within Chyuubu Region 2018/1/11 02:48
thanks for the clarification, it was a misunderstood, thanks!!!

Re: Transportation within Chyuubu Region 2018/1/20 23:41
Hello, i double checked and almost everything is open in winter (nakasendo trail for example), so its a go for us! Now will check if busses run in normal schedule ( from what i could see from the 5day pass from shoryudo I can buy tickets for february, so probably they will), thanks!

Re: Transportation within Chyuubu Region 2018/1/21 00:27
Hi!

I think the trail is always open but do be prepared for snow. I found this response from 2011 in this forum:

My wife and I hiked from Magome to Tsumago in late February of this year (2011).

The trickiest part of this was running into ice covered stairs about halfway from Magome to the pass, and there were parts where the snow was somewhat thick (shin high) on the way down to Tsumago. As long as you're wearing waterproof boots, you shouldn't have a problem. Of course, conditions may vary from year to year, but we were fine.

The descent from Tsumago into Nagiso the next day had more ice and was a bit trickier, but definitely do-able.

So you can still do it, just make sure you have Winter gear when doing so.
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread