Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Change of address during PR application 2018/1/11 19:30
I applied for a Permanent Residence visa last October. In March our apartment lease will expire and I was planning to move.
If immigration sees a change of address on the residence card when picking up the new card will they ask questions?
I'm thinking if I should pay the renewal fee and stay until I receive the visa.

Also things are not going well with my husband. We are heading for divorce but maybe I can hold the divorce for another couple of months.

Everyday I worry about this, any advice?
by Bluebirdy  

Re: Change of address during PR application 2018/1/12 19:31
I'd be more worried about divorce than PR issues right now.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Change of address during PR application 2018/1/12 22:01
Why do you say that? In my post I wrote that I can hold my divorce for a couple of months. Hopefully the visa will arrive soon.
by Bluebirdy rate this post as useful

Re: Change of address during PR application 2018/1/13 00:33
If both of you move, no problem. If one moves out, a question mark might pop up in the midair immigration officers.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of address during PR application 2018/1/13 11:54
In "the minds of" immigration, is what I meant to write, excuse me.

Re: Change of address during PR application 2018/1/13 13:18
Just from seeing a new address on the back of the residence card? How will they know that only I moved?
I already applied, now waiting for the postcard.

Re: Change of address during PR application 2018/1/13 15:04
If you move while your application is under review, you need to inform the immigration authority that you've moved.

As far as I remember, the postcard that immigration sends you to inform you of the review outcome will not be forwarded to your new address even if you report new address to the post office (specified "not to be forwarded/not forwardable"). If it does not reach you at the address you applied with, the postcard will be returned to them, and they'd look into what happened.

OK, if your Japanese spouse is still living there and kindly hands it over to you that works out, but I recommend you inform them of the move (no particular format) when/if you do, and that should be sent via some form of registered mail.

Re: Change of address during PR application 2018/1/13 15:43
I didn't know that they don't forward the postcard to a new address. Thanks for the information. I better stay at the same address to avoid problems.

Re: Change of address during PR application 2018/1/13 15:58
The sender (= immigration authorities) specifying "not to be forwarded" is obviously a way for the immigration authorities to make sure that the applicant does live at the address they claim they do, and prevent people from filling in untrue address, and that is part of the process...

But if you do decide to move, and inform immigration that you are moving, that should be fine.

Re: Change of address during PR application 2018/1/13 16:17
I know and it makes sense.
Thanks for your useful information, it was very helpful.

Re: Change of address during PR application 2018/1/15 15:52
how would they know you changed address ?.
changed address you go to immigration with your family jumihyou from city office which will indicate your family address.

immigration have access to your information with japanese government . they are part of ministry of justice .

any change will make your case long again .

by chike20 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of address during PR application 2018/1/16 10:49
I believe you are prolonging your divorce in order to get the PR status.
In this case if you are the PR can still be provoked. So what ever you decide or do it can make it only worse if you keep it a secret.

Immigration as access to almost all your information, more ever since the introduction of my number
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Change of address during PR application 2018/1/16 10:58
the point is:
if someone applies PR by the reason of marriage with a Japanese national, and if they divorce before the applicant receives the result, what happens to application ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of address during PR application 2018/1/16 11:37
it depends .

if your application is based on marrying japanese for 3years
after notifying immigration of your divorce .. you need to get a new guarantor .. but only immigration can decide your case.

2, if you lived 10years in japan .. you still qualify for PR.
by chike20 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread