Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary for 9 days 8 nights - Tokyo & Kyoto 2018/1/12 13:59
Hi Everyone, I'll be visiting Tokyo this coming late March for 9 days 8 nights. I'm travelling with my family (two kids aged 12 & 11). We're interested in visiting Tokyo, Tokyo Disneyland, Mount Fuji, Kyoto & Nara. I would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this as I've been planning my itinerary. Also, I would like to know, is it better to travel around Japan by ourselves or is it good to book a tour? I've been reading more on this & I just seem to be more confused. Tours to Mount Fuji looks good but wondering if we could travel by train. Could we cover Osaka too or is it too ambitious?? Thank you!
by Gawry (guest)  

Re: Itinerary for 9 days 8 nights - Tokyo & Kyoto 2018/1/12 18:51
It is very easy to plan a trip to Japan yourself, but from what you have written it seems that you will want to do a lot more reading, as the questions you have asked can be easily answered through research. This website has suggested itineraries under "Plan a Trip" in the top bar - you could start there. Read the sections about each place you want to visit; they will all have a "Getting to and Around" section that will help you work out transport. For Fuji, consider a day trip from Tokyo to either Hakone or Kawaguchiko.

You've picked a very common itinerary, so you could also search this forum for itineraries other people have posted for ideas. Reddit has a page about Japan travel (r/japantravel) where people also post draft itineraries and sometimes trip reports. Or simply Google!
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 9 days 8 nights - Tokyo & Kyoto 2018/1/12 19:10
With only a small amount of time you have. I think it is possible.

But 1 - You really need to decide where you really wanna go. Sounds like your aren't really sure. And that creates confusion when trying to create a itinerary.

2 - Sit down with everyone involved in the trip and make sure everyone is on the same page.

For Fuji tours, must I have view seem very rushed. When I visited Kawaguchiko Lake area. I took the train from Tokyo. stopped off at the Pagoda along the way. Then the museum, lake cruise, shopping and cable car up to the view point. It was an easy day trip. And not difficult to plan yourself.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 9 days 8 nights - Tokyo & Kyoto 2018/1/12 19:18
I'll do a dodgy itinerary for you. Assuming flying in and out of Tokyo for example.

day 1 - fly in (maybe you have move time if arrival is in morning?)
day 2 - Tokyo Disneyland
day 3 - (add something tokyoish here)
day 4 - Fujisan day trip
day 5 - Travel to kyoto, osaka/dotonbori in afternoon/evening
day 6 - Arashiyama, mokey park, bridge, temple, bamboo grove, sagano railway, river cruise
day 7 - 7am start Fishimi Inari, kiyomizudera, higashiyama, gion/pontocho/nishihiki area afternoon/evening
day 8 - Nara day trip
day 9 - return to tokyo, fly out

Re: Itinerary for 9 days 8 nights - Tokyo & Kyoto 2018/1/12 19:34
Well, I've been definitely reading more than ever on Japan, there's so much to see & do. I did google and check websites & do have an idea where to go but I thought it would good to hear a little tips from people who know japan since I'm a first timer.
Anyhow, I'll manage & thanks!
by Gawry (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 9 days 8 nights - Tokyo & Kyoto 2018/1/12 19:39
There is no little tips with a itinerary that is just Tokyo and Kyoto. Traveling between the two is well documented. And all the sights are all well documented also.

If you were traveling to smaller lesser know rural places. Then tips and tricks might help. But for your trip. Read all the well document advice and keep it simple.

Re: Itinerary for 9 days 8 nights - Tokyo & Kyoto 2018/1/12 20:57
Thank you, hakata14! My itinerary lookalmost looks like your dodgy itinerary, just that there is a slight difference. I understood that taking a tour is nt necessary. We could move around easily.
Looking forward to fun & cherry blossom filled Spring in Japan!

Re: Itinerary for 9 days 8 nights - Tokyo & Kyoto 2018/1/12 21:58
Taking or not a tour I think is a personal decision. I would guess that most people on this forum are self organizers, but this doesnft mean that for some people an organized trip might not have its advantages, namely that you dint need to worry about when and how to go where , where /what to eat. But these same advantages also are disadvantages in the eyes of other people. If you are normally fine with traveling abroad on self organized trips, Japan is definitely doable, although not a lot of people speak English. But everything is well organized and people will help you along.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 9 days 8 nights - Tokyo & Kyoto 2018/1/13 04:26
You asked about Osaka - is there something specific there you want to see? If so you will have to pick something to drop off your list. On my recent trip we did make a day trip there from Kyoto to see an art exhibition on a rainy day but it was more of an emergency substitution than a high priority.

I feel two ways about tours - it's great to be relieved of the planning and just go with the flow, but you definitely can't move at your own pace.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!
by SkipperL rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 9 days 8 nights - Tokyo & Kyoto 2018/1/13 12:28
SkipperL, I was thinking bout Osaka just on a day trip, if I can include in but I have kids, so I can't be rushing, I believe vacations are to enjoy with not a hectic schedule. My kids wants to watch Sumo fight if possible but since it's seasonal, we might not get to it. Thank you everyone for your help!

Re: Itinerary for 9 days 8 nights - Tokyo & Kyoto 2018/1/13 18:15
If you are travelling in cherry blossom season, you really need to get booking ASAP, especially in Kyoto - the cheaper and better located accommodations will be starting to fill up.

If you main aim is to see cherry blossoms, I would remove Osaka and Fuji from your itinerary and focus on cherry blossom locations in Kyoto and Tokyo. There is a page on this website about cherry blossom sites in those cities.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 9 days 8 nights - Tokyo & Kyoto 2018/1/13 18:46
8 nights is not too much, but here what I suggest:
day 1 - arrive, train to Kyoto
3 or 4 nights in Kyoto - usual "must see-s", including Arashiyama. Rafting there would be great for kids.
1 or 2 nights in Hakone, for nature, onsen, and kaiseki (if kids will enjoy it?)
train to Tokyo, rest of time there (Ghibli, Sky tree, Disneyland, ...).

It is very common first trip schedule, no need really for tour. Don't rush too much, enjoy simple things.
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread