Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyushu in 7 days? 2018/1/14 11:49
We are visiting Kyushu and Shikoku the first time. I was thinking of spending 7 days for each place. However, when I start planning for Kyushu and if I have unlimited time, I am already up to 10 days now. I am wondering whether I can omit some places in order to shorten it to 7 days. We will have a car. I would really appreciate if some of you can help me. Here is the itinerary:
Day 1 Fukuoka ( arrive in the afternoon )
Day 2 -3 Nagasaki
Day 4 Kumamoto
Day 5 Kirishima Kinkowan
Day 6 -7 Miyazaki
Day 8-9 Takachibo
Day 10 Yufu

Thanks!!!
by Dopeybear (guest)  

Re: Kyushu in 7 days? 2018/1/14 17:51
All you can really do is omit locations you least wanna see.

With Kumamoto castle access restricted, Kumamoto is a place you could visit while traveling between two locations.

day 1 - arr fukuoka afternoon, get car and drive to nagasaki,
day 2 - sight see nagasaki,
day 3 - drive to kumamoto, sightsee, drive to takachiho
day 4 - for takachiho sightsee, drive to miyazaki,
day 5 - nishinan coastline sightsee
day 6 - drive to yufuin/yufu, sightsee yufu/yufuin afternoon
day 7 - sightsee yufu/yufuin morning, return drive to dep fukuoka

Every time to see the word "drive," it is about 2-3 hours each leg.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu in 7 days? 2018/1/14 21:54
Thank you so much for your advice.
by Dopeybear (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu in 7 days? 2018/1/14 22:17
How will you go from Kyushu to Shikoku? If you are thinking now of taking a train, consider a ferry. There are several possibilities, and this may influence your choice of route on Kyushu, as you will want to finish close to the harbour.

Just a thought.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu in 7 days? 2018/1/14 22:56
I realise that this suggestion might add days rather than take them away, but if you wanted to visit Hiroshima then the ferry from there to Matsuyama is a nice trip.
Re Kyushu, you could easily spend two or three weeks there, depending on your interests, so I think you'll just have to cut down your wish list for this trip.
If it are me, I'd choose two or three places which are not too far from each other and I'd spend two or three days in each
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu in 7 days? 2018/1/14 23:18
I was thinking of taking the ferry from Beppu to Shikoku. You are right, I am sure plans may change according to that.
by Dopeybear (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu in 7 days? 2018/1/14 23:48
Sorry OP, we are really striding away here from your question ..., but if you want to consider ferry and assuming that you do not want to go through Hiroshima (as this is Honshu and thus totally outside or your Kyushu & Shikoku trip... but a nice place anyway)... well, there are also ferries from Saiki to Sukumo (http://www.sukumoferry.com/), from Usuki to Yawatahama (http://www.uwajimaunyu.co.jp/english/) , from Saganoseki to Misaki (http://www.koku94.jp/) and between Beppu and Yawatahama (http://www.uwajimaunyu.co.jp/) among others.

I am talking so much about ferries, because it would seem to be ideal to come by ferry to Shikoku directly from Kyushu, because then you don't need to do a ROUNDtrip of Shikoku, but could start e.g. in Sukumo and then work upwards from there, without the need to return to the initial destination. Also the destinations reachable from Kyushu are those that are much less reachable from Honshu, so a lot more off the beaten track. (Shikoku as a whole is relatively off the beaten track, but getting to the South West of Shikoku even less people - including Japanese - do), as it is simply very far away from most other parts of Japan.

On your list of destination in Kyushu also onsen seem to be lacking. If you are not interested in onsen that's okay (also a shame... onsen are a great experience). My personal favorit would be totally Kurokawa onsen, which should be doable as a overnight trip between Fukuoka (or Kumamoto) and Takachiho. (Sorry, adding yet an other day to your trip...). Alternatively Beppu and Yufuin are famous onsen destination on the island of Kyushu which is famous for it's onsen.

Okay, I guess this all does not really help you in cutting down on your days in Kyushu. sorry about that. Japan is just too interesting. As the previous poster said, 2 weeks in Kyushu alone (or for that matter in Shikoku alone) would also be perfect. But both places are really great for a Japan experience a bit off the beaten track.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu in 7 days? 2018/1/15 11:08
Thank you all for your help.
I have decided to drop Nagasaki this time. By doing that, I will save 3 nights, and will be able to concentrate in a smaller area without having to rush around.
by Dopeybear rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu in 7 days? 2018/1/15 11:16
Also, I am thinking of staying doing Onsen in Yufuin and Kurokawa. Thanks for the reminder!
by Dopeybear rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu in 7 days? 2018/1/15 17:13
If I were you,I must Buy SunQ Northern Kyushu pass 3 Day=8000‰~,cover Fukuoka,Nagasaki,Kumamoto, Yufu,oita,saga,shimonoseki unlimited travel For 3 Days cover by 100 Bus routes/ companies.
by Mac (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread