Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Reservation of tokaido sanyo shinkansen 2018/1/16 13:21
Dear,
i want to go Hakone with family from Narita airport to Odawara Sta. by Kodama.(15~17,February)
i don't know how to make reservation this ticket. i'm not in japan. it's impossible to book by Tokaido Sanyo Shinkansen Booking App: smartEX App.
i can buy and pick up the tickets as soon as arriving in Narita and we must go to Odawara that day.
if i can't make reservation the tickets in advance, can i buy the ticket before 2~3 hour of boarding the train?
Can i have any tickets available on The day of arrival ?
Would you help me how (where) to buy round tickets of tokaido sanyo shinkansen
thanks
by yani7  

Re: Reservation of tokaido sanyo shinkansen 2018/1/16 15:36
If you are going as far as Odawara, which is either an expensive 30 minute ride on the shinkansen, or an inexpensive 90 minute ride on a rapid service from Tokyo.

"IF" you cannot collect the tickets by the terms and conditions set out. Then either get on at Tokyo station in a non reserved seating car for a shinkansen service. 3,3XX-3,6XX yen.

-OR-

Ride the cheaper Tokaido line rapid service to Odawara. 1,6XX yen.

by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Reservation of tokaido sanyo shinkansen 2018/1/16 16:08
In that period is not busy day, you can take even if non-reserved seat cars of Kodama.

Also JR-East LtdExp #Super View Odoriko and (regular) #Odoriko are online booking possible at JR-East web.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/ticket/reservation.html
Both are not Shinkansen, dep fr JR Tokyo stn, Shinagawa stn is next stop if tranfering fr N'EX will be best.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/routemaps/superviewodoriko.html?src=gnavi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odoriko
by VMC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Reservation of tokaido sanyo shinkansen 2018/1/16 17:33
I agree with hakata. Unless you have a JR Pass (letting you just walk onto a shinkansen any time for free), you'll be going through a good amount of extra trouble and cost just to shave 60 minutes off a short trip.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Reservation of tokaido sanyo shinkansen 2018/1/16 18:00
If I were you,I must Buy Tokyo shuttle ticket=900‰~ to go Tokyo From Narita intl Airport.
Here at Shinjuku station,I Bought Hakone kamakura pass 3 Day=6500‰~ From Odakyu railway
So My Base on 1st,2nd,3rd Day Is still Tokyo:But in the morning,I will go Hakone area to explore by rail,Bus, Boat,cable car unlimited time For 3 Days.
by Pallab (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train rides to Odawara for a Hakone trip 2018/1/16 20:50
How is your whole itinerary?
Would you just visit Hakone and leave Japan?@

VMC:
Also JR-East LtdExp #Super View Odoriko and (regular) #Odoriko are online booking possible at JR-East web.

Unfortunately that reservation system does not work for your case,
as long as you plan to leave Tokyo for Hakone on Day 1,
because it requires you to pick up your tickets by the night (at 21:00 Japan Standard Time) before the boarding date.

You can try to reserve your seats in JR Shinkansen and Limited Express trains (e.g. Narita Express trains)
at JR East Travel Center in NRT Terminal 1 | 2 or,
while the center is closed, at nearby JR Ticket Office, which is open until 21:45.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/customer_support/service_center.html

Currently there is no railway station in NRT Terminal 3.
If your flight to Narita uses Terminal 3 and you hope to reach Tokyo by railway, you go first to Terminal 2.

When Japan Rail Pass is not likely to save greatly your cost,
it is also recommendable for you to travel by Odakyu from Shinjuku on a Romancecar train.
(Some Romancecar trains run through Odakyu and Hakone Tozan Railway lines between Shinjuku and Hakone-Yumoto.)
All seats in a Romancer train require reservation.

Hakone Freepass may or may not be a god deal, depending on what sites in Hakone you visit.

Except during very late and very early hours,
there are various ways to go from Narita Airport to Tokyo's urban area:
you can go by low-cost bus (the Access Narita) to Tokyo Station
(Expressway bus terminal in front of Yaesu South Entrance, near Shinkansen gates),
by airport limousine bus to Busta Shinjuku,
by railway on a JR Narita Express train to Shinagawa Station,
where you can make a transfer to Tokaido Shinkansen,
or by railway on a JR non-Express train to Shimbashi Station,
where you can catch a train for Odawara on the (non-Shinkansen) Tokaido Line.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Correction: typos 2018/1/16 20:56
"JR East Travel Center" should be
"JR East Travel Service Center"
and "god deal" should be "good deal"
in my previous response.

Re: Choice of airport 2018/1/16 21:08
i want to go Hakone with family from Narita airport to Odawara Sta. by Kodama.(15~17,February)
Would you help me how (where) to buy round tickets of Tokaido Sanyo Shinkansen

Narita Airport is not served by Shinkansen.
Although it is located outside Tokyo Metropolis, Narita Airport is often regarded by air carriers as a Tokyo airport.
To take a train for Odawara, you head first to Tokyo.

Do you have any reason for flying into not Tokyo Haneda Airport [HND] but Narita Airport [NRT]?
(Your user profile says you reside in South Korea; Incheon [ICN] and Tokyo Haneda [HND] are connected by direct flights.)

You can go from HND International Terminal by either Keikyu or Tokyo Monorail + JR to Shinagawa then make a transfer to Tokaido Shinkansen.

Re: Reservation of tokaido sanyo shinkansen 2018/1/17 07:04
I would just take any Narita/Sobu/Yokosuka Line train bound for Shinagawa or Ofuna. And transfer to a Tokaido Line at Shinagawa or Ofuna. This option will cost you 3020 yen.

Transfering at Shinagawa or Ofuna in much quicker and easier then Tokyo station. This option is only around 40 minutes slower due to much smaller transfer within station and you can use a IC card the whole way. So no need to hunt down a ticket office and purchase and wait for the next Shinakansen. This option is also 3,XXX yen cheaper.

by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Reservation of tokaido sanyo shinkansen 2018/1/17 08:44
From Narita, do not do Odakyu Railways from Shinjuku. It is a poor option.
Take one of the express trains into the city - N'Ex to Shinagawa is my recommended transfer point rather than Tokyo just because of the station layout.
From Tokyo/Sinagawa the limited express trains to Odawara are very good (about 60 minutes last time I used one), and the Kodama or Hikari might be a bit faster, but more expensive.
Buying/reserving seats can be done on your arrival ( a few minutes before) and it would not be necessary to book a long way in advance because those trains would not be full. There are services that do the reservation/purchase for people outside Japan (I do it occasionally), but it is an expensive way to do it and usually unnecessary.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Reservation of tokaido sanyo shinkansen 2018/1/17 10:05
As omotenashi wrote, it depends on your whole itinerary and Haneda is more convenient for Hakone trip. But if your flight tickets are not refundable and you will depart from Narita, you may better consider N'EX TOKYO Round Trip Ticket.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/E/pass/nex_round.html

You can go as far as Ofuna (100-110 min ride) with Narita Express and transfer to commuter trains which will take you to Odawara in about 30 min (670 yen). N'EX TOKYO Round Trip Ticket is for round trip (4000 yen for adult and 2000 yen for children of 6-11 old) so you can use it for the return trip (see the official page for detail).

Not all the Narita express do not go as far as Ofuna, but there are 1 or 2 per hour. At Ofuna you don't need to go out of the ticket gate to buy tickets for Odawara. Just take a commuter train to Odawara and show your N'EX TOKYO Round Trip Ticket to the station staff. He/she will tell you how to pay the 670 yen.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=NARITA%20AIRPOR...
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Reservation of tokaido sanyo shinkansen 2018/1/20 13:30
Thank your replies a lot.
when we arrive at 11 am in Narita i will find JR center for buying round tickets (NEX, shinkansen) and go to shinagawa sta. and there we will go to hakone yumoto or odawara sta by shinkansen . we will rent car for 5 adult there for hakone travel . thanks
by yani (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Reservation of tokaido sanyo shinkansen 2018/1/20 16:31
when we arrive at 11 am in Narita i will find JR center for buying round tickets (NEX, shinkansen) and go to shinagawa sta. and there we will go to hakone yumoto or odawara sta by shinkansen

This would be the fastest way of travel. If you want to save some money, you might better going further to Ofuna on NEX and transfer to a commuter train (which require only base fare from Ofuna to Odawara, 670 yen).

NEX Tokyo round trip ticket 4000 yen (note that this ticket is also valid for the return trip from Tokyo area to Narita airport)+Ofuna to Odawara=4670 yen

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=OFUNA&arv_node=...

You can buy the ticket from Ofuna to Odawara, at Narita Airport when you buy the NEX Tokyo round trip ticket.

NEX Tokyo round trip ticket to Shinagawa and Shinagawa to Odawara by Shinkansen=4000+3050=7050 yen, therefore 2380 yen more expensive but save 50 min.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=SHINAGAWA&arv_n...

by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Reservation of tokaido sanyo shinkansen 2018/1/25 20:31
thanks so much your kindly detail advise.
my parents are 78, 74 years old. i want a faster transportation for them.
it takes a long time from narita to hakone. it's hard for the aged.
i think this travel will be my family' the first and the last overseas trip. then we want to go japan for 3 days
i now recheck your advises. ...transfer, time

thanks~~

by yani (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread