Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo/Osaka in October 2018/1/17 08:01
Hi guys.

Planning a second trip to Japan this year in October again 😊. Last year i went in July and it was hot and humid. How is the weather in October ? Ideally shorts and singlet is my thing to wear in summers. Forum says its not too warm and not too cold which is abit confusing. This time i would like to skip Kyoto and just visit Tokyo and Osaka.

Thanks
by ras729  

Re: Tokyo/Osaka in October 2018/1/17 10:27
Average low of 17. Average high of 25.

I found myself in t-shirt and shorts most days. With light jacket in early morning as tall buildings block morning sun.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Osaka in October 2018/1/17 10:46
LASt year October was surprisingly wet, but normally it is sunny, dry and a nice temperature for short sleeves in daytime and a light jacket in the evening. I would also say that early October and late October are a bit different. But definitely a MUCH better time than July to visit Honshu.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Osaka in October 2018/1/17 12:38
What will be ideal ? Start or late October ? Also i would be landkng at Naritia airpirt then go to Tokyo and then to Osaka and back to Tokyo. Do i really need a JR pass for this ? 7 days costs jus almost 400 NZD.
by ras729 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Osaka in October 2018/1/17 14:17
What will be ideal ? Start or late October ?

According to the Japan Meteorological Agency,

http://www.data.jma.go.jp/obd/stats/etrn/view/nml_sfc_10d.php?prec_no=...

late October is sunnier than the early October in Tokyo. This is also the case in Osaka. Perhaps typhoon affects the sunshine hours and more often in earlier October.

Therefore I think late October will be better.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Osaka in October 2018/1/18 01:10
You asked about the JR pass. There's a calculator here: https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/
by SkipperL rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Osaka in October 2018/1/18 02:30
This is completely anecdotal, but every picture I've found of myself in Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto/Wakayama between 2005-2009 I am wearing either long pants or a skirt with tights under it. I personally think you might be a little chilly in shorts in October unless you are just used to cold weather.

Going by the Japan Meteorological Agency information helpfully supplied by Frog1954 (thank you for the link BTW) The average temperature during the day in early October is only around 19 C with lows of 16 C. Sure it gets up to 23, but most of the day is more along 19 which for me is too chilly not to have my legs covered unless I am running.

If you're coming from NZD can you do an open jaw and fly into Tokyo/NRT and out of KIX in Osaka? I think that would make the most sense.
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread