Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/18 03:43
Hi, I have a tattoo from stockkanji which I got about 5 years ago. I was hoping to get an answer I should have asked back before I got it. The reason I got it is because I went through a very difficult time in which I was tested mainly mentally but also physically and I persevered and pushed through it all and past all obstacles. So reading these sites, it made it sound very appealing.

https://www.stockkanji.com/spirit-of-perseverance-japanese-tattoo-vs5a

I've read http://www.ashiharaonline.com/aki/html/osu_no_seishin.html and other sites. It seems to be based around martial arts and such.

I want to know if it doesn't make sense to a native / is it offensive or stupid to a native? Also whether or not its relevant to the situation I am trying to get across as it does seem to be based around martial arts, which I do not know / have anything to do with.

Also if there are any better recommendations as I might decide to cover it up with a different tattoo.

Thank you very much. :)
by ICosmicI  

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/19 23:15
It looks stupid...
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/19 23:44
Especially if you yourself cannot read it. It looks like it has to do with martial arts. If you didn't know what it said, why did you have the tattoo? I think people who tattoo things in a language they don't know are just attention-getters. People who can read it will thinks it's ridiculous, but most will think that to themselves and never tell you.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/20 02:30
Thanks for your opinions... even if they don't answer any of my questions. " I think people who tattoo things in a language they don't know are just attention-getters. " can be and is said about people with any kind of tattoo. " People who can read it will thinks it's ridiculous, but most will think that to themselves and never tell you." so are the one of the people which can read it? I think you forgot the third option - being someone that thinks its ridiculous and tells me.

Hopefully I will get some useful answers to my questions soon.

Thank you.
by ICosmicI rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/20 04:18
I think most Japanese don't know what it means (unless he is into martial arts), let alone how to read.

The last three characters ‚̐¸_ are easily understood, it means "spirit of", but I had to look up the first two. The second character ”E (normally reads shinobi, shinobu, or nin) is the same character used in the first character of word ninja (”EŽÒ), so one can guess it might have something to do with martial arts. But the first two characters together ‰Ÿ”E osu, was new to me and certainly did not know what it meant.

by Ochiai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/20 05:30
Thank you for your reply Ochiai, I appreciate it :)

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/20 06:53
Tattoos in a language you can`t read, and of a phrase even native readers won`t understand, is like an Eskimo getting lip plates, or a cowboy getting neck stretching rings, or a Southern Baptist getting Henna, etc. Body modifications, including tattoos... IMO, look ridiculous unless they are a part of your native culture.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/20 07:21
Paul, your irrelevant comments sound like an over opinionated child which should try being quiet :) and that verbal diarrhea of "cultural appropriation" is so petty haha. Next time I will remember give credit in small font "Credit goes to Asian Languages" so that your little panties don't get twisted xD

If you can't answer the post I have made - just don't reply. I don't need your irrelevant "two sense".

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/20 08:10
You are free to do whatever you want to your own body, as long as it is not illegal, including getting a tattoo. At least the OP researched the meaning of his tattoo, that is a lot better than someone who just want some Chinese/Japanese characters, any characters, because he thought it is cool. I remember reading a news story of a guy who did just that, and ended up with a tattoo that read ‹{•ÛŒ{’š (kung pao chicken).

by KDL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/20 08:22
When I looked it up in gimiwah something like gHey dudeh comes up for ‰Ÿ”E

Here more explanation on the greeting in Wikipedia https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/‰Ÿ”E
The page only exists in Japanese and German. In the German version however only half of the explanation is contained. Try using Google translate. It should work fine with German but often performs poorly with Japanese.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/20 09:24
ICosmicI, you are the one with the illegible mutation, not me. If it pleases you, it doesn`t bother me at all - but there are other readers here too. Your reply also speaks to who you are, and again - IMO, it shows a rather immature individual.

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/20 09:41
Paul, why bother giving your opinion? OP has asked a genuine question, and did not ask for you to tell them what you think of their tattoo. If you don't have anything useful to contribute, don't respond.

OP, I hope you find the answer to your question. I would also recommend posting on the following Reddit subs: /r/japantravel, and /r/japan. They may have more information.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/20 10:16
The phrase you have seems to mean what you were looking for, in connection with martial arts, which I don't follow/practice either.

One note about the phrase ‰Ÿ”E, though, is that because of the meaning of perseverance and the way it sounds sort of self-sacrificing (for the whole), it has been adopted by some motorcycle gangster groups (on their flags for example) or other group-oriented disciplines in schools (guys chanting "osu!" as greetings; I guess that is where the "hey dude" came up). So... including myself, those are the things that Japanese people nowadays are likely to associate when we see the word "‰Ÿ”E" . Indeed, I had to look it up to see that it had its origin in martial arts.

So I would not say right out stupid, it certainly is not offensive, just unusuali guess, provided the font and execution is done right. And I am refraining from stating my general sentiment about tattoos in a language one doesn't understand :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/21 04:28
I did and have researched it. I may not speak Japanese but I can read what the tattoo says as far as I've researched. As someone which isn't native though it might have some other meaning or slang for something else (which I haven't found in my research which is why I posted on this forum).

Thanks KDL for your comments.

Thanks LikeBike.

Thanks "Guest" for the reddit pages - I will check them out.

Thanks for the information AK, I appreciate it. I don't mind people disagreeing or giving their opinion but their is a respectable and polite way to give it, you know? Especially to someone whom you do not know. People will have opposite opinions about everything and I respect that. :)

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/21 20:55
First of all, I would like to congratulate you for overcoming your sufferings. If the tattoo helped you on the way, that's the best thing that can happen to the tattoo holder, and no one can destroy that.

Meanwhile, it seemed that you were looking for those with knowledge on martial arts, which was probably the reason this thread had a slow start. I, just like AK, am a native Japanese speaker living in Japan. I majored in Japanese literature in college and am in the writing business for years (I work mostly as a translator), if that helps, but I I had never heard of the phrase ‰Ÿ”E‚̐¸_. Japanese Google tells me that it is a common phrase in kyokushin-karate, but Japanese Google also suggests from the many questions posted on the internet that the phrase is not at all common among locals.

I mean no offence, but you do ask if it is "offensive or stupid to a native", and if the photo of the man is the actual tattoo, I would think it's a joke. If it was shown to me out of the blue, I'd think the person showed it to me to make me laugh.

It looks like a joke because it is so neatly written. It's like a typewriter font. It is indeed a design mimicking calligraphy, but it's clearly not handwritten. Similarly, it is too balanced to have artistic value. It kind of looks like a stamp in the middle of a macho back - something that we might see in a manga. To begin with, not many local tattooers ink Japanese letters. I'm just trying to analyse it for you so that you won't think that I'm trying to be sarcastic, because I am not.

As for the phrase, since it is unfamiliar, a local might think it's some kind of a mis-translation or a pun. One of the nicer things is that a lot of people can't read that ‰Ÿ”E is supposed to be read as "osu", because without the knowledge of kyokushin karate, "osu no seishin" (again I'm just trying to be honest) sounds like something that a stupid jock might say. Another great thing is that you can easily cover your tattoo with a thin shirt.

Finally, to answer your question, I don't think it's offensive. It won't scare many people away. But of course, some people find all tattoos offensive.

I hope this was the kind of help you were looking for.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/25 00:44
Thank you for the response Uco. You covered everything perfectly for me and your honest is very much appreciated :)

Re: Japanese Tattoo Assistance 2018/1/25 06:04
My apologies for expressing my irrelevant opinion above.

reply to this thread