Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

In Osaka Out Nagoya (for the alpine route) 2018/1/19 15:07
Hey guys, for the following itinerary i am using both the (1) Takayama Hokuriku pass and (2) Alpine Takayama Matsumoto pass. Is that worth it ? And does the Alpine Takayama Matsumoto pass covers the Express Limited (Wide View) Hida trains from Toyama to Nagoya via takayama ? TIA

Sat
Arrive Itami
Overnight Osaka

Sunday
Osaka to Kanazawa (Activate Pass 1)
Overnight Kanazawa

Monday
Day trip to Takayama/Shirakawago
Overnight Kanazawa

Tuesday
Day trip to Fukui
Overnight Kanazawa

Wednesday
Kanazawa to Toyama
Overnight Toyama

Thursday
Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route (Activate Pass 2)
Overnight Toyama

Friday
Toyama to Nagoya
Overnight Nagoya

Sat
Nagoya
by wvu1812  

Re: In Osaka Out Nagoya (for the alpine route) 2018/1/19 17:24
http://touristpass.jp/en/takayama_hokuriku/

Pass covers the trains you wanna use.

However you plan for 6 days of travel. Pass is only valid for 5 days.

I suggest you visit Fukui as day trip from Kyoto/Osaka. Removes one day for your pass.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: In Osaka Out Nagoya (for the alpine route) 2018/1/19 17:29
question though.

Are you doing the full length of the Alpine route? OF just half way and returning to Toyama. As Nagano/Shinano-Omaci to Toyama isn't covered.

So maybe look into a 7 day JR pass and see if it pays off. And pay for the buses separately.

Re: In Osaka Out Nagoya (for the alpine route) 2018/1/19 17:30
But i am using 2 passes, both the Takayama Hokuriku and the Alpine Takayama Matsumoto pass.
So i am cover as well.
by wvu1812 rate this post as useful

Re: In Osaka Out Nagoya (for the alpine route) 2018/1/19 17:30
cancel that. no a jr pass wouldn't pay off. its only 8000 extra nagano to toyama.

Re: In Osaka Out Nagoya (for the alpine route) 2018/1/19 17:35
First of all, i am doing half alpine route, from toyama, back to toyama, as i dont want to run around with luggages, that is why i need to buy the alpine takayama matsumoto pass, as the return tic will cost me 18,000 yen

Re: In Osaka Out Nagoya (for the alpine route) 2018/1/19 17:37
http://touristpass.jp/en/alpine/

question still stands on what you are doing for the alpine route. you cannot cover the full route and return via the same route. if you plan to start and finish your day in Toyama, you'll only make it 1/2-3/4 of the way.

Or if you are using that second pass. Then overnight eitehr nagano or matsumoto and go to nagoya via the chuo main line. Probably the Shinano Limited Express.

Re: In Osaka Out Nagoya (for the alpine route) 2018/1/19 17:42
Yeah, i wont be able to to full alpine route, probably until the Kurobe Dam and the make a u turn back to Toyama.
Cant go Nagano, as it is not covered by any of the pass
Would u guys recommend how i do about the itinerary ? Just want to know whether is the best option available at the least cost :-)
TIA

Re: In Osaka Out Nagoya (for the alpine route) 2018/1/19 17:50
you are using 31,000 worth of passes.

i would try to do the itinerary in one solid direction with no backtracking to see if you come under that figure.

osaka
fukui (on way to kanazawa)
kanazawa
shirakawago (onway to takayama)
takayama
toyama
apline route (onway to matsumoto)
matsumoto
nagoya

Re: In Osaka Out Nagoya (for the alpine route) 2018/1/19 17:53
Yeah, 31k for freaking trains !
But if i follow one solid way, i would have to change hotel on daily basis, it will be very taxing imo

Re: In Osaka Out Nagoya (for the alpine route) 2018/1/19 17:58
yeah well if you wanna day trip back and forth. then go with the passes.

Re: In Osaka Out Nagoya (for the alpine route) 2018/1/20 09:09
If you combine the Hokuriku Area Pass(5000 Yen) with the Alpine-Takayama-Matsumoto Area Pass, that will cover most of your intended itinerary. The only portion that is not covered is the leg from Osaka to Tsuruga.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_hokuriku.html

To get to Fukui you can either buy a train ticket from Osaka to Tsuruga (4620 Yen) and combine it with the Hokuriku Area Pass, or take a direct highway bus (3600 Yen) to Fukui.

You can then travel to Kanazawa, onwards to Shirakawa-go and continuing on to Toyama.

At Toyama, you can use your Alpine-Takayama-Matsumoto Area Pass to visit Takayama and Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route, before heading to Nagoya.
by Green Tea Latte rate this post as useful

reply to this thread