Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

17 days in Japan-plan to visit 2018/1/23 04:53
Hi,

I will be in Japan 3rd time, so far me and my sister visited Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, kamakura, Takayama, Hiroshima, MIjaima, Nagasaki, Fukuoka and surroundings with Dazaifu.

This time we will be in Japan in June from 3rd of June until 21st of June. We would like to see more Honsiu (Tohoku) up from Tokyo and Hokkaido with Sapporo. When we are back to Tokyo as our flight is to and from Tokyo Narita, we want to go for sure for one day to see Yokohama with ramen museum.
This time looks like more challenging to find a route. We plan to buy JR pass for 14 days or maybe JR East South Hokkaido pass but I see it is only for 6 days and I do not understand what does 6 d-flex mean.
Anyway is there any chance you could point us our must see destinations? I thoughts about Sapporo for sure, Nagano, Aomori with Hirosaki and Akita maybe, Hakodate. Which places do you recommend most? and how many nights we should spend there? We need to plan hotels and we need to know how many nights are best to see each places. Is there any chance you could help us to figure it out? We do not need any help with hotels, we will book them when we know in what place how many nights we spend. We love castles, parks, shrines, everything :)

We will be very grateful for any help,

Thank you.
by Magda1981  

Re: 17 days in Japan-plan to visit 2018/1/23 11:32
I think you plan is sound. How many days you plan on stay at each location is up to you. As some sights might not interest you as much as others. Or how quick you like to move around.

Sendai for example, you could spent a day visit Yamadera, another day doing Matsushima bat/coastline, and another day exploring the city itself.

Most people seem to agree the Hakodate as an overnight only requirement. But if you add a day trip to Onuma-Quasi National PArk/Onuma Lake, then you'll probably need two night stay.

Sapporo is another that depending on your day trips, could be 2 nights to 4-5 nights etc.

Either way, 17 days is a good amount of time to explore Hokkaido and Tohoku. I'd probably have a day or two in Tokyo, then start your 14 day pass and explore north, then your last night or two in Tokyo.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: 17 days in Japan-plan to visit 2018/1/23 13:43
As it is your trip, it is about your interests. Your overall plan sounds good. You could add destinations such as some onsen town in Tohoku (Nyuto onsen, Ginzan onsen...), some more nature such as Shimokita peninsula , Biei & Furano or Hachimantai, some more culture such as Yamadera or Kakunodate...

If you can rent a car for some days this could be convenient for the more far flung places. You could also consider a one way flight from Tokyo to Memanbetsu start with a rental car around Shiretoko and then start your JR Pass and worn your way down back to Tokyo through Hokkaido and Tohoku. Flights arenft too expensive and there are tourist special fares.

Enjoy planning your trip and traveling to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 17 days in Japan-plan to visit 2018/1/24 00:30
Hi!

Since no one really answered this, a FLEX pass works by not requiring consecutive days of travel, you just need to use the 6 days of travel within 14 days.

It comes in handy if you are doing several days of self driving since those days won't count against your pass use days. It can be a really good deal depending on your itinerary and plans. It really becomes are you going to use the additional 20,000 yen in fares the 8 days the pass isn't being used. If you're not, then the pass is a great deal. If you are, then the 14 day pass makes sense. It also depends on route. The pass really does limit you to Kanto/Tohoku/Southern Hokkaido trains. If you decide you want to add Nagano or Niigata in, you will be paying considerably more as neither is in the covered area. To be fair though there is a lot to see and do in the covered area. I really enjoyed: Matsushima, Hirosaki, Hiraizumi, Onuma Park and Towadako. If you're comfortable driving, some of the places in Tohoku are more readily accessibly by car.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 17 days in Japan-plan to visit 2018/1/24 01:00
Thank you very much Everybody! I will going through internet and see the palces you recommended and make a plan at weekend :)
And thank you for fixing 6d flex pass. I just thought it works like this but I wanted to make sure. Anyway I guess we will take 14 days all japan pass to have freedom with shinkansens :) We do not have japanese drivid licence so we did not consider renting any car. But as I know from experience Japan is pro tourists with everything so we can easily get everywhere using shinkansens and other trains, sometimes bus if needed.
Yes, we will stay in Tokyo a night for sure, then use 14 days of pass and be back to Tokyo. Going to Yokohama for sure, maybe somewhere else near Tokyo where we have not been yet as well for a half day trip.
by Magda1981 rate this post as useful

Re: 17 days in Japan-plan to visit 2018/1/24 01:54
Note that trains in Hokkaido and to a lesser extent also in Tohoku are slower/less frequent from what you might be used to in Kanto or Kansai. So while also there trains are a good mode of transportation, it takes more time and renting a car or taking a plane can be a good option specially if you want to stray away from the cities.

You donft need a Japanese driving license. There is guidance on this webpage about documentation needed for tourists to drive in Japan.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread