Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Haruka, Icoca and children 2018/1/23 22:50
Hi all

Our idea is going from Osaka KIX airport to Kyoto using Haruka limited express. It is quite clear that for adults the best choice is an integrated Haruka + ICOCA = 3600 yen both.

But what about for our children (9 and 6 year old)?

I guess after reading other posts that I should buy a Haruka children ticket for them and buy a separate children ICOCA.

And I must do it in a counter in KIX instead of a machine.

A couple of questions:

1) In that case, can we buy Haruka+ICOCA and the children Haruka ticket, and children ICOCA in the same counter at the same time??

Can we also exchange our Japan railpass voucher in this same place at this same time? And also reserve our seats for our firsts trains?

It would be nice to do everything at the same time after such a long journey...

2) Can we pay with credit card or just cash?

Thanks a lot!
by amo (guest)  

Re: Haruka, Icoca and children 2018/1/24 11:51
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/icoca-haruka/#price

Says to get a KAnsai 1 day pass for children @ 1100 yen.

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai/#purchasing

But only for riding the non-reserved seating. Extra to reserve seat. (But I think that is the same as the adult Haruka+Icoca package).
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Haruka, Icoca and children 2018/1/24 12:50
Hi!

To add to what has already been said: Yes, when I turned in my rail pass and started making seat reservations in Narita I was able to get my daughter a child's Suica card. I did it a the JR travel center in Narita near the entrance to the NEX vs. a machine or ticket window. I don't remember if they took credit cards or if I had to pay in cash. I expect KIX has a similar JR center, but it's been a while since I've gone through KIX and my last few flights through KIX I used the bus not JR. I am pretty sure though they have a separate center for turning in passes and you should be able to get your Haruka+Iocca card special there, set up a Suica for your child, reserve seats for upcoming travel, and buy your children a 1 day pass.

Hope this helps!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Haruka, ICOCA and children 2018/1/24 14:04
rkold:
I expect KIX has a similar JR center

JR West handles passes and tickets at JR Ticket Offices;
the company has improved customer services for foreign visitors at the counters,
instead of establishing facilities like JR East Travel Service Centers in NRT Terminals 1 and 2.

amo:
Can we also exchange our Japan railpass voucher in this same place at this same time?

Have you checked the official website?
You see the JR Ticket Office (open 5:30-23:00) in Kansai Airport [KIX] on the list of exchange offices.
- JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange and sales offices
http://japanrailpass.net/en/exchange.html

How is your itinerary?
Why do you think the Japan Rail Pass would pay off?

And also reserve our seats for our firsts trains?

You can, unless unfortunately all the seats are already reserved, for example, during a busy season.

what about for our children (9 and 6 year old)?
can we buy Haruka+ICOCA and the children Haruka ticket

Currently a child-rate Haruka discount ticket does not exist.
JR-West recommends you a 1-day Kansai Area Pass.
(Check the two official webpages of the links put by hakata14.)
A longer-valid Kansai Area Pass or another pass may be better for their trips.

Our idea is going from Osaka KIX airport to Kyoto using Haruka limited express.
It is quite clear that for adults the best choice is an integrated Haruka + ICOCA = 3600 yen both.

No; the ICOCA & Haruka package is not always the best choice.

In a case where a Japan Rail Pass or a JR-West Sanyo-San'in Area Pass pays off and can be used for your specific Haruka ride, that is a better option, and you don't need a Haruka discount ticket for that ride.

When you have a Haruka ride with your seat reserved, these two passes cover the Limited Express surcharge, while the Haruka discount ticket or the other passes (which allow you a Haruka ride) do not cover the surcharge.

Can we pay with credit card or just cash?

For ICOCA & Haruka package, you pay in cash.

Regarding Japan Rail Pass, JR-West rail pass and JR regular tickets, I suppose a credit card of a designated brand can be accepted for the payment at the JR Ticket Office in KIX.

On the JR West official webpage for Kansai Area Pass, there is a list of logo marks showing the designated credit card brands.
(Find "About Credit Card Payment" on the webpage.)
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Haruka, Icoca and children 2018/1/24 17:24
Hello

gHow is your itinerary?
Why do you think the Japan Rail Pass would pay off? g

I havenft worked it out exactly but I think so. Wefll buy 1 week JPR for these rides:
Kyoto-Himeji, Himeji-Miyajima, Mijayima-Hiroshima, Hiroshima-Osaka, Osaka-Kyoto, Kyoto-Takayama and Kanazawa-Tokyo.

gNo; the ICOCA & Haruka package is not always the best choice.

In a case where a Japan Rail Pass or a JR-West Sanyo-San'in Area Pass pays off and can be used for your specific Haruka ride, that is a better option, and you don't need a Haruka discount ticket for that ride. g

But we will activate our 1 week JPR pass later. So wefll arrive Kyoto from KIX, spend some days around Kyoto without pass and then activate it. So I wonft have it in this airport to Kyoto trip.

gWhen you have a Haruka ride with your seat reserved, these two passes cover the Limited Express surcharge, while the Haruka discount ticket or the other passes (which allow you a Haruka ride) do not cover the surcharge. g

Anyway, we are not going to use the west pass and the jpr will be activated later.

Is it advisable to have a reserved seat in this trip or can we just go unreserved? KIX to Kyoto around 19h.
Is the surcharge 300 yen per peson approximately? It looks like this in hyperdia results but I am not surec

gCurrently a child-rate Haruka discount ticket does not exist.
JR-West recommends you a 1-day Kansai Area Pass.
(Check the two official webpages of the links put by hakata14.)
A longer-valid Kansai Area Pass or another pass may be better for their trips. g

To sum it up, for children: If I buy a Kansai pass for them (1150 yen), they will be able to ride the Haruka (unreserved) and then the subway in Kyoto to our hotel.
Instead, the haruka discounted ticket will be 2850/2= 1425 yen and also we have to add the subway ticket (around 120 yen)

So it is indeed a better option for them, isnft it?

Anyway, Ifll need a children ICOCA to pay the subway/bus during our japan stay.

For adults it is better the haruka+icoca.

Thanks a lot for all your helpc
by amo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Haruka, Icoca and children 2018/1/24 23:36
Hi Amo,

(BTW thanks Omotenshi, I didn't realize JR West just made the ticket counters foreigner friendly. I use to use KIX a lot to stay with JET friends in Wakayama-ken, but I use to take the limo bus to Wakayama, where we would then go get dinner. :D It sounds like KIX is very foreigner friendly now.)

The Kansai area Pass will not cover any subways in Kyoto or Osaka. It's only good for JR lines, so it would cover your Haruka between KIX and Kyoto but not anything that isn't owned by JR like the subway. You would then need to use your new child Iocca to take the subway from Kyoto station to your hotel regardless.

If you're planning to take JR all the way from Takayama to Kanazawa, be aware of the train times from Takayama to Toyama. There are only 3 or 4 limited express the entire day and the locals are limited as well. If you were planning to go Takayama to Shirakawa Go to Kanazawa, that is by bus and is not covered at all with the pass.

Good luck!

Re: Haruka, Icoca and children 2018/1/25 02:04
Thanks a lot.

Yes. I will go through nohi bus. Expensive but it is the only way to visit Shirakawago.

Nice point with the kansai pass info about subway ticket.
by Amo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Haruka, Icoca and children 2018/1/25 02:31
Hi Amo,

Based on everyone else posting here about their kids, my daughter is not as easygoing or culturally interested but... I went to Shirakawa Go when pregnant with her and then last June we went to Takayama together (she was 6.) We went to Hida no Sato instead of Shirakawa Go and it was the right decision for us. She loved feeding the koi and all the interactive traditional games you could try but was not feeling any of the actual exhibits within the Gassho-zukuri there. Before you spend the money to go through Shirakawa Go, I would look honestly at your children and figure out if they are going to enjoy a bunch of shops, restaurants, and non interactive museum exhibits. (Unless they've improved them since I was there, which is possible.) You might find the much cheaper visit to Hida no Sato village, will give you and your partner a chance to see the farmhouses, keep your kids happier and save you money. While it is slower you can still use JR to get to Kanazawa, you just need to time for a Hida to Toyama and then take a shinkansen from there.

I can honestly say unless we're going to Kamikochi or Okuhida, I don't feel the need to go back to Takayama, 2x was enough and I don't mind not going back to Shirakawa Go vs. I would love to go back to Hiraizumi. I liked Kanazawa a lot more. But everyone has different taste and only you really know yourself and family.

Good luck!

reply to this thread