Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan in August 2018/1/26 23:00
I am travelling to Japan with my 7 year old son in August. We would like to have a few days in Tokyo, to visit the Oshino ninja village, visit Mount Fuji, go on a bullet train, and have a few days in Kyoto. Does anybody have any experience of this sort of intinerary, transport, accommodation, tips etc. Any advice or information at all of any kind will be most welcome. Many thanks
by poorleengodf (guest)  

Re: Japan in August 2018/1/27 17:29
This website has some pre-planned itineraries under "Travel Planning" in the top bar.

What you're looking at is not a complicated trip, so you shouldn't have much trouble planning it yourself. You haven't provided us with a number of days for the whole trip, nor a budget, so it's hard to give really good suggestions. Also, if you want an entire itinerary planned for you, it's best to visit a travel agent.

Presuming that you'd be flying in and out of Tokyo, I'd suggest 3/4 days Tokyo (including day trip to Hakone or Kawaguchiko to see Fuji), then shinkansen to Kyoto, 3/4 days in Kyoto (I'd highly recommend a day trip to Nara to see the deer, which your son may like), then shinkansen back to Tokyo to finish with another 2/3 days there.

Of course, there are many other areas near Tokyo and Kyoto that are worth checking out. I'd recommend you read this website thoroughly, as it is a great resource and has helped me plan three trips to Japan now. Read the pages on Tokyo and Kyoto (and the sites within them), read about side trips from those locations, read about public transport in Japan, etc. The more you know, the easier it is to plan a trip and the more you will enjoy your trip.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in August 2018/1/29 01:00
Are you interested in going to festivals or fireworks? Exactly when in August do you plan to go?

I am also planning to go to Japan at the mid July to mid August. I will start booking Hotels six months in advance at the places where the festivals and fireworks will occur, because they will sell out quickly.

Just note that this is the time when school is out for summer break, and there will be a lot of travel by Japanese families too. The Japanese schools start their schools in May, and let out for summer their break around mid July.

Let me know it you want more information.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in August 2018/1/29 01:54
My daughter just turned 7 and has been to Japan 2x. She really enjoyed the monkeys in Arashiyama in Kyoto and the deer in Nara (an easy day trip from Kyoto.) She also really enjoyed the hydrangeas in Uji. I am hoping this next trip to take her to Fushimi Inari. She loved Miyajima, but we don't live near a beach so walking on the sand during low tide and seeing all the crabs was fascinating.

We've been going in late June when her school lets out. It's hot and humid but we still manage and have a good time.

Depending on how much your son is into ninja you might want to plan a day trip to Iga-Ueno. There is also a specifically Kid's Ninja Village about 1 hour from Nagano. I've honestly never been super interested in going to Fuji Five Lakes. I'll go when my daughter is ready to climb Mt. Fuji, but then to be fair we tend to make the pilgrimage to Licca Castle every trip which is something most people here would have no interest in.

We've been to the aquarium in Osaka which my daughter liked, but she's not interested enough in trains to make the train museum in Kyoto a worthwhile stop.

Good luck! I love going to Japan with my daughter. It's different than when I went without her but I appreciate how she opens my eyes to other experiences.
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread