Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving from Aomori to Towadako in early Feb 2018/1/28 23:42
We plan to rent a car from Aomori and drive to Lake Towada on 8 Feb. After leaving from Aomori, we plan to go to Hakkoda Ropeway and drive around Oirase Stream. Finally, we will stay 1 night at a hotel by the lake. Will there be a problem driving ?
Please advise me the driving direction.
by Pakorn (guest)  

Re: Driving from Aomori to Towadako in early Feb 2018/1/29 12:41
Under normal condition the drive is about 2 hrs, but in Feb there will be snow. In the worse scenario adverse weather condition can bring about road closure!

https://goo.gl/maps/5m4oZW8FkvD2

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Driving from Aomori to Towadako in early Feb 2018/1/29 13:03
Some of the roads are closed all Winter so it would partially depends on the path you plan to take. I believe some of 103 is closed as well as 454. I would check your plans ahead of time to make sure all planned roads are open and make sure you have snow tires and experience driving in the snow.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Driving from Aomori to Towadako in early Feb 2018/1/29 14:45

we will stay 1 night at a hotel by the lake.
If you are planning to overnight in the area, I would highly recommend Oirase Keiryu hotel. They normally have free transfer from and to Aomori.
https://www.hoshinoresorts.com/en/resortsandhotels/uniquehotels-en/oir...
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving from Aomori to Towadako in early Feb 2018/1/29 16:00

I visited Towadako one winter a few years ago by JR bus; only two us in the bus. Oirase stream was deserted, could hardly see anything , as the windows were foggy, and It was snowing heavily then. Towadako was abandoned, hardly any tourists in the area; could be the reason the bus does not operate any longer.
Unless you have driven in snow, this trip would not be "fun" for the inexperienced.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread