Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

When visiting Japan 2018/1/29 15:08
Hello,
When visiting Japan, are there any differences in terms of language ability between N3 and N2? is there anything that I can't enjoy because I'm N3 only? are there any difficulties(
I mean, visiting for two weeks or so.
Thanks in advance!!!!!
by !!!!! (guest)  

Re: When visiting Japan 2018/1/29 17:52
Having an N3 Level as a tourist is sufficient for most of not all day to day conversations you need to do as a tourist. Plus you will be able to read basic information on the street. Most tourist come with 0 Japanese and have no issues at all.

Now obviously if you have N2 or N1 level you will understand more, so yes there are things that at N3 you will not be able to do, like going to Japanese theater (although Kabuki sometimes has English subtitles) , Japanese films , read the notes in Japanese explaining a sightseeing point , follow perfectly a Japanese guided tour...

But none of this should deter you. Japanese will be very positively surprised that you speak at N3 level and will happily help you along.

Enjoy speaking Japanese in Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When visiting Japan 2018/1/29 19:28
I see! thank you so much!!!
by !!!!! (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When visiting Japan 2018/1/29 21:53
A friend of mine visited for three weeks knowing 5 words and had a fantastic time. You will have no problem at all :)
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: When visiting Japan 2018/1/29 23:31
As a person who lived in Japan for 3 years and probably speaks less than 200 Japanese words (not something I'm proud of) - you'll be absolutely fine. Unless your going totally off the beaten track (this does exist in Japan!), almost no Japanese is required to travel easily around Japan. But of course - speaking some Japanese will make it even better as you can talk more to the locals!
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: When visiting Japan 2018/1/30 01:04
Really! thank you!!!
by !!!!! (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When visiting Japan 2018/1/30 04:48
Some locals will want to practice their English on you. There is no expectation that you'll know any Japanese, and many of them will be visibly excited if you say anything at all in their language.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread