Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Missed flight (ANA/JAL Air pass) 2018/1/31 05:42
Hi,
I could not book a direct flight from Helsinki to Ishigaki (no collaboration with JTA) so I have to make another ticket for the Osaka or Haneda to Ishigaki part.

I have taken in mind possibilities of the outbound flight from Helsinki being cancelled so I arrive on next day, so the Ishigaki flight depart on day 2 (arriving Tokyo day 1). But if something unforseen would happen, like being delayed even more and missing the connection on day 2, is there any chance at all of being able to be put on another flight?

I will be using a JAL or ANA "air pass"...
by guest (guest)  

Re: Missed flight (ANA/JAL Air pass) 2018/2/3 07:59
This one would be hard to answer.... Technically, this are two separate tickets so of course the other airline would not know about your international flight and even if they did, the tickets would need to be issued together as one ticket. So therefore if you missed in this case the separate local ticket, you would not be put on the next flight as it is no show. You would need to buy a new ticket in this case.

However sometimes, the agent at the airport might be able to help you with a non-show charge to put you on the next flight but this could end up being more expensive then just buying a new ticket.

Hope this helps!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Missed flight (ANA/JAL Air pass) 2018/2/3 17:12
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

While it is quite common to miss your same-day connection, I think you can hardly miss a flight leaving a day after the arrival of your first flight. Only something that would make a big headline on the newspaper can do that, such as a historical hurricane or a massive terrorist attack.

How many hours are there between your arrival to Japan and your departure to Ishigaki? If I were you, I'd buy the 2nd day connection.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Missed flight (ANA/JAL Air pass) 2018/2/4 16:45
Hi
My flight is arriving Narita at 8:05 and after transfer my Naha flight departs at 13:05 arriving about 15:40.

Then there are two JTA flights to Ishigaki leaving 17:35 and 18:15, (and a 7:15 in the following morning).

There should be at least 4 departures after the 13:05 flight to Naha but that would probably mean I cannot make the Isg connection.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Missed flight (ANA/JAL Air pass) 2018/2/4 16:59

It would sound easier if you are able to catch a flight to KIX instead of Narita.
Peach has direct flight from KIX to ISG :
http://www.flypeach.com/pc/en/lm/st/routemap
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Missed flight (ANA/JAL Air pass) 2018/2/4 17:11
I have already reserved my ticket to Narita so it cannot be changed.

Re: Missed flight (ANA/JAL Air pass) 2018/2/4 22:23
I was thinking of taking the late evening flight (17:35 or 18.15) from Naha to Ishigaki on the day after arrival. If there is no delays on arrival day I could take a peak at the Shuri castle as it was located in Naha and open until 20.00.

It's not that I dislike Okinawa or so, but not just that much interest in it as with other parts of Japan. But I was thinking checking out something in the outskirts within an hour of bus travel from Naha (I will stay near the bus terminal), since I am already in Okinawa anyway.

Sefa Utaki seems interesting for instance.

Re: Missed flight (ANA/JAL Air pass) 2018/2/5 16:39
My flight is arriving Narita at 8:05 and after transfer my Naha flight departs at 13:05 arriving about 15:40.

Then there are two JTA flights to Ishigaki leaving 17:35 and 18:15, (and a 7:15 in the following morning).

I was thinking of taking the late evening flight (17:35 or 18.15) from Naha to Ishigaki on the day after arrival. If there is no delays on arrival day I could take a peak at the Shuri castle as it was located in Naha and open until 20.00.

Well, I can only suggest that you'd feel more relaxed by taking the 7:15. I sympathize that you'd want to get to your final destination asap after being forced to spend 5 hrs at Narita, and I myself have done things like traveling back to central London after finding out that my flight will depart Heathrow hours after the scheduled time. But rather than to worry about the clock and being careful to stay out of happenings, I'd spend a night in Naha and enjoy whatever conversation, food or scenery that might strike me. In the end, it's up to you though.

Actually, I wonder if you have seen the remote parts of Okinawa Mainland. It's easy to self-drive to those beautiful places, so perhaps you can even take a flight 2 days after and enjoy a whole day in the Mainland.

Re: Missed flight (ANA/JAL Air pass) 2018/2/5 19:44
I might as well try to visit the mainland. I should perhaps take the next morning 7.15 flight instead.

I will be there in early May after GW. Can I expect road congestion by then? Can you really see that much in a full day of driving? Looking at the bus times, where it takes a long time just to reach the middle of the island.

I must return to Tokyo at most 6 days after arrival to Okinawa, so I would have 2-3 full days in Ishigaki (I plan on possibly renting a car there and exploring and checking out the nearby island (forgot the name) with jungles on a full day. I count in possible early typhoons as well...

Is there any "better" place to stay in Naha or would anywhere close to the monorail be fine? Seems pretty quick getting to and from the airport to central Naha.

Re: Missed flight (ANA/JAL Air pass) 2018/2/5 20:18
It's been ages since we stayed at Onnason in Mainland Okinawa, so I hope someone else can update information, but we easily drove all around the coast in a day, stopping at a beach or two. Japanese internet users back up my experience saying they did it in half a day driving slowly.

Needless to say, you can adjust the distance and the number of spots to visit depending on traffic/weather/health.

Re: Missed flight (ANA/JAL Air pass) 2018/2/6 05:47
I have had a few experiences of driving actually, but non including any highway driving as I find it difficult enough even driving her on the right hand side. I was looking at my Japanese driving mapbook and there seem to be a long highway from Naha all the way to Nago, apparently costing about 1000 JPY to use according to the book (but it's not very up to date).

How far up the coast did you drive anyway? Seems from Naha to Cape Hedo in the north is about 110 km one way using non toll roads.

Driving from Kagoshima (Sakurajima side) to cape Sata was about 100 km. With several stops it took around 7 hours to reach (back took around 3 hours though). So I guess it is doable...

Re: Missed flight (ANA/JAL Air pass) 2018/2/6 08:36
As a general, if you plan to have separate tickets (which you do) and want to connect same day, should have at least 6 hours. That should give you 3 hours of delay time departing from your home country and then enough time to go thru customs, pick up your bag, go check in to your other airlines flight, bag drop off and security again.

The best would be to overnight and catch a morning flight.

Hope this helps!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Missed flight (ANA/JAL Air pass) 2018/2/6 17:19
I agree that you should not drive highways on a car you're not used to, and it's not even necessary when you're just a tourist.

Hmm, I wonder how we drove. After some research, I do realize that the whole route is long. Anyway, Japanese Google gives info on model self-drive half-day courses and optional tours. I wonder if you can find something similar in your languages through guidebooks, Googling or agencies. I hope you can at least enjoy the photos.
https://www.wbf.co.jp/oka/special/modelcourse.html

Needless to say, it's also possible to hire a taxi for half a day, or just stay at a big resort where you can do everything there.

Re: Missed flight (ANA/JAL Air pass) 2018/2/7 14:38
Anyway.

I plan on doing:

Day 1 - Arrival to NRT, transfer to HND (bus or train). Flight to Naha.
Check in and possibly checking out Shuri castle and the town if my jet lag does not kill me.

Day 2 - Rental car exploring island OR exploring some nearby areas by bus.

Day 3 - Early morning departure to Ishigaki.

reply to this thread