Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Exchange JR pass and reserve at Nagoya 2018/2/5 19:14
Hi, Can someone please let me know if you can both exchange and activate the JR pass at the JR Information centre and the ticket office at Nagoya station? Ifm a bit confused regarding the information online about the opening hours and locations (See below).

Our flight is arriving at 7.30am at Central Japan International Airport, Nagoya. I understand that we have to make our own way to Nagoya station in order to exchange the voucher for the rail pass. Regarding below information. Does this mean that I can exchange the voucher for the pass and activate it at the Main ticket office from 6:00-10:00 and if I donft make it by 10:00am, I then have to go to the JR information centre between 10:00-19:00? Once I have the pass and activated, can I reserve seats at both offices?

Thanks for any information.

Information from JRpass.com

gThe JR-Pass can be exchanged at Nagoya station every day between 6.00 am and 23:00 pm. Between 10:00-19:00 the place to go for activating the JR-Pass is the JR Information Center that can be found in the middle of the station hall on the Sakura-dori side, opposite to the Tourist information Office. From 6:00-10:00 and 19:00-23:00 the pass can be exchanged at the Main ticket office marked by the Shinkansen and JR-Lines sign. The Main Ticket office can be found on the right side in the station hall, when you enter from the Sakura Dori side.h
by pandy2026  

Re: JRP receipt and seat reservation in Nagoya 2018/2/6 18:02
JRPass.com is not a JR official website.
(At the bottom of the webpage, you find a copyright claim saying "JRPass ltd."; how confusing!)

There is no process to "activate" a Japan Rail Pass.
When you turn in your Exchange Order for your Japan Rail Pass,
you set the day when you begin to use your pass,
then your pass should be valid from that day.
You cannot change the first day later.

In the list of the exchange offices on the official website,
you can confirm the following facts.
: In Central Japan International Airport there is Central Japan Travel Center which is handling Japan Rail Passes and open from 9:00.
: In Nagoya Station there are two offices of JR Tokai Tours handling Japan Rail Passes.
: One of the two offices (whose name is not Hirokoji Entrance Office) is open from 9:00.
http://japanrailpass.net/en/exchange.html

Our flight is arriving at 7.30am at Central Japan International Airport, Nagoya

This airport is actually outside Nagoya City.

When everything goes smoothly, you will get to (JR) Nagoya Station around 8:45,
so you can visit the JR Ticket Office, which handles JRP until 10:00 and after 19:00,
or the JR Tokai Tours office which is open from 9:00.
Both the two offices are along Central Walkway.
http://english.jr-central.co.jp/info/station/_img/nagoya_L.jpg
http://japanrailpass.net/img/purchase/file/exchange_station.pdf

JR Tokai Tours is a subsidiary company of JR Central [Central Japan Railway Company].
(Also JTB finances this company.)
This travel agency not only sells tour packages but also issues JR tickets.

Once I have the pass and activated, can I reserve seats at both offices?

Yes; you can try to reserve seats in JR trains at the same counter.

I recommend that you in advance write down on a piece of paper your itinerary (with timeline) which shows places to visit by JR, and show it to the staff of the office when you receive your Japan Rail Pass.

I understand that we have to make our own way to Nagoya station

On your way from West Ticket Gate of Meitetsu Nagoya Station,
you first find Hirokoji Entrance of (JR) Nagoya Station,
then walk more to the JR Ticket Office | the JR Tokai Tours office.
It may need 15 minutes to go from the Meitetsu gate to the JR office.

You can make a shorter and simpler transfer from Meitetsu to JR in Kanayama Stations
(though you pay 170 yen per adult passenger for the JR section Kanayama -- Nagoya if you do without JRP).
http://english.jr-central.co.jp/info/station/_img/kanayama_L.jpg
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Exchange JR pass and reserve at Nagoya 2018/2/6 18:15
Thank you so much for your detailed information, omotenashi. Ifve used JR pass before, but never been to Nagoya and their opening hours are quite confusing.

Thanks again.
by pandy2026 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread