Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo-Nagoya-Takayama-Kanazawa-Nagano-Tokyo 2018/2/7 01:09
May I ask should I make some changes as per my below itinerary? Appreciate advise from experts on area to be improved

Mac 2018

4 Malaysia - Narita
5 Tokyo - Nagoya
6 Nagoya
7 Nagoya - Takayama
8 Takayama
9 Takayama - Shrikawago
10 Shrikawago - Kanazawa
11 Kanazawa
12 Kanazawa - Matsumoto/Nagano
13 Matsumoto/Nagano - Ueno
14 Ueno
15 Ueno - Kamakura
16 Ueno - Yokohama
17 Ueno -Malaysia

Do I need to stay a night in Shrikawago?

From Kanazawa to Matsumoto/Nagano to Tokyo - shall I omit Matsumoto/Nagano?

How many days JR Pass should I purchase? 7 days Takayama or 14 days for whole trip?

Thank you in advance on your advise.

Elaine Lim
by elaine3848  

Re: Tokyo-Nagoya-Takayama-Kanazawa-Nagano-Tokyo 2018/2/7 10:39
If you can skip Nagoya, you might better take the following route/tickets.

Narita to (somewhere in Tokyo) to Narita: NEX Tokyo Round Trip Ticket, 4000 yen

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_nex.html

Shinjuku to Matsumoto to Takayama to Shirakawago to Kanazawa: Three Star Route Shinjuku Ticket 8540 yen.

http://www.alpico.co.jp/access/ticket/pdf/panf701[1].pdf

Kanazawa to (Nagano to) Tokyo: Shinkansen normal ticket. If you want to stopover at Nagano, at Kanazawa buy "fare ticket" to Tokyo and Shinkansen ticket to Nagano. At Nagano you should pick up your fare ticket at the ticket gate and buy Shinkansen ticket when you travel from Nagano to Tokyo. This way you will save some money.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Nagoya-Takayama-Kanazawa-Nagano-Tokyo 2018/2/7 11:02
Thank you Frog for your advise.

Sorry to trouble you. Will it be better if I switch my plan as follow :-

Mac
4 Malaysia - Narita - Shinjuku
5 Shinjuku - Nagoya
6 Nagoya
7 Nagoya - Kanazawa
8 Kanazawa
9 Kanazawa - Shrikawago
10 Shrikawago - Takayama
11 Takayama
12 Takayama - Matsumoto
13 Matsumoto - Ueno
14 Ueno
15 Ueno - Kamakura
16 Ueno - Yokohama
17 Ueno - Malaysia

Thanks and regards,
by elaine3848 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Nagoya-Takayama-Kanazawa-Nagano-Tokyo 2018/2/7 11:16
4 Malaysia - Narita - Shinjuku
5 Shinjuku - Nagoya
6 Nagoya

Why do you stick to Nagoya? And must it be in this order? In general Nagoya is not a touristic spot so I guess you may better skip it and go directly from Shinjuku to Matsumoto. If you really want to go to Nagoya, you can also go there of course but the total fare will be more expensive.

Re: Tokyo-Nagoya-Takayama-Kanazawa-Nagano-Tokyo 2018/2/7 12:02
Ok. Though of visiting the Nagoya Castle. Will look into it.
thank you.

Re: Tokyo-Nagoya-Takayama-Kanazawa-Nagano-Tokyo 2018/2/7 12:39
Hi Frog

Thank you for the info on three-star route Shinjuku ticket. Googled and it's a 5-point ticket till Kanazawa.

My hotel bookings is at either Toyoko-Inn or Mystays - is the bus station to these hotel reachable with foot/walk?

So I need to purchase the return bus/train from Kanazawa to Shinjuku - right ?

Sorry for asking so many question. Once again thank you.

Re: Tokyo-Nagoya-Takayama-Kanazawa-Nagano-Tokyo 2018/2/7 13:07
I am sorry that the link for the Three Star Shinjuku Ticket does not work. Please copy and paste to the url window of the browser.

My hotel bookings is at either Toyoko-Inn or Mystays - is the bus station to these hotel reachable with foot/walk?

Do you mean in Shinjuku? The bus terminal in Shinjuku (Shinjuku Expressway Bus Terminal) is just next to Shinjuku station. I don't know the exact place of your hotel, but if it is in a walking distance from Shinjuku station, you will be fine. If your hotel is not in Shinjuku area then you must go to Shinjuku first.

So I need to purchase the return bus/train from Kanazawa to Shinjuku - right ?

I think you would better take Shinkansen which is much faster. You can get off at Nagano and see something.

Re: Tokyo-Nagoya-Takayama-Kanazawa-Nagano-Tokyo 2018/2/7 14:40
Hi Frog

Thank you for the explanation. No worries - I copy and paste the link so its work for me. Thanks for the link which help me to save "a lot" The Malaysia agent advised me to purchase 14-days JR Pass that cost me JPY 43,690 (a bomb). Will follow your advise to use the 3-star route Shinjuku ticket and omit Nagoya.

Will need to do some homework on reserved seats for Matsumoto.

Booked hotel is Mystays Shinjuku (on arrival) & Toyoko Inn Shinjuku (on return) and mainly will try book hotel near train station (Toyoko Inn/Mystays whichever is lower) for Matsumoto and Kanazawa.

Once again thank you.

Re: Tokyo-Nagoya-Takayama-Kanazawa-Nagano-Tokyo 2018/2/7 22:22
Before purchasing a rail pass, do the math and make sure it is worth it. Some of your route is by bus (which is what I believe Frog1954 is recommending, as Alpico is a bus company.) There is no train between Kanazawa and Shirakawa Go or Shirakawa Go and Takayama. You have to take a bus. Takayama to Matsumoto is also recommended by bus. It's 2 hours and 48 minutes vs. nearly 5 hours by train.

And what is considered walkable really varies by person too.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread