Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do I buy, drive then export a motor home 2018/2/8 05:46
My plan is to go the Rugby World Cup in Japan..September 2019....buy a small motor home...insure it ....drive it around Japan for the duration World Cup...then export the motor home to Ireland...or England. I would really be gratefull for any suggestions or ideas in relation to buying...insuring. driving a motor home around Japan...exporting to Europe........
Kind regards............Bealnablath
by Bealnablath  

Re: How do I buy, drive then export a motor home 2018/2/8 14:25
Is there any specific reason for wanting to own a Japanese motor home? If not, youfll probably find it less of a headache (and less painful financially) to simply rent a vehicle for the month or so that covers the rugby, then buy one of your own in Ireland, which honestly if itfs anything like the UK has a much better market for motor homes than Japan.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I buy, drive then export a motor home 2018/2/8 18:27
Probably best to talk to those car importers for Japan cars in your country.

Also many things on your camper home will be illegal or not pass various standards like gas bottle pipe fittings etc. As Japan will have different standards to the UK. You may be up for a hefty bill to replace to bring it to UK compliance.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: How do I buy, drive then export a motor home 2018/2/9 03:09
Unless you can search for a suitable mobile home to buy before you depart, it also means that you will need a considerable amount of your time in Japan on searching for it. And you might not buy the best for your needs. While if you buy it in your home country you can search as long as you want, understand all the technical documents, ask all the questions you would like, etc.

Sorry, I realize it is your dream to do this, but it would seem hard to accomplish.

There was an other person on this forum about half a year ago who asked a similar question (wanted to buy a car I think). If he/she registered maybe you can reach out to her/him to see if she/he managed to put his/her dream to reality.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I buy, drive then export a motor home 2018/2/9 06:40
Sometimes similar questions are posted, but there is fundamentally a big ignorance.

A foreigner can buy motor home(camping car) in Japan.
However, it is impossible to realize that dream
bc there is no registration qualification necessary to run on the Japanese road(=public road).

Get yr IDP and rent a car, then negotiate whether you will sell the rental car after returning,
or look for another dealer in the middle of yr travel.

But most dealers can not do export procedures abroad,
so there is no choice but to ask importer that has a company in UK and Japan.
There are many exports of cars to UK, but the international ports with customs are limited.
Also it may be necessary to improve the exhaust gas regulation value and more.
If you make a quote, you will immediately notice how you are doing something worthless.
by MicBrewer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I buy, drive then export a motor home 2018/2/9 13:37
Youfd better contact this, either buying or renting. They have English HP.
Japan Recreational Vehicle Association
http://www.jrva.com/en/
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I buy, drive then export a motor home 2018/2/12 04:21
Maybe donft be so downhearted.
If I were you, Ifd start with talking to one of the people who import Japanese cars to the UK.
Itfs a niche market but you do see grey import (I believe thatfs the term) Japanese cars in the UK and they tend to be either the small-engined sporty-looking mini roadsters or else combi/camper type vehicles. For instance, there always used to be a small but passionate group of UK folks who had Mazda Bongo campers, and IIRC they used to have a web forum.
There are a few people doing this, or there always used to be. It may be inconvenient and it may be expensive, but there will be people in the UK who can tell you what it involves.
Good luck with your adventure...
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread