Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nagoya - Toyama - Osaka 2018/2/8 16:19
Hi,

I intend to fly into Nagoya on 19/5 and leave on 26/5. I am not sure if my itinerary seems to rushed. I am travelling with my parents, they are ok with walking though not too much.

19/5 Arrival Chubu airport morning - Head to Takayama (stay)
20/5 Takayama -Shirakawago -Toyama
21/5 Alpine route - Osaka ,arrive evening
22/5 Osaka
23/5 Osaka/ Nara (day trip)
24/5 Kyoto (day trip)
25/5 Nagoya
26/5 Fly back morning

I am also quite confused with all the passes offered by JR , Kinetsu etc. Based my my current understanding, the best to get is the Takayama-Hokuriku Area pass and activate it on 21/5 ?

Thanks!
by Faith6543  

Re: Nagoya - Toyama - Osaka 2018/2/8 18:12
Takayama-Hokuriku Area pass and activate it on 21/5 ?

Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass: Yes. This pass allow you to travel from JR Nagoya to Takayama and then to Shirakawago to Toyama and then to Osaka. This pass does not include the Alpine route so you need to buy the ticket separately. I think you should do the round trip to Murodo from Toyama, and then take Shinkansen to Kanazawa and then transfer to the Thunderbird express to Osaka. Centrair to Nagoya is not the JR line so you must pay it also. You should use it from 19/5.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya - Toyama - Osaka 2018/2/8 18:38
your second and third days are completely unrealistic.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya - Toyama - Osaka 2018/2/9 07:37
your second and third days are completely unrealistic.

Well, it depends on the person.

Day2

https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/highwaybus/toyama/

If you depart Takayama at 12:20 you will arrive Shirakawago at 13:10. The last bus to Toyama departs at 16:40 then you will have 3:40 which might be sufficient for some people.

Day3

In general Toyama to Murodo takes about 3 hours. If you start Toyama at 6:00 and spend 3 hour at Murodo, you will be able to come back to Toyama at around 15:00. Toyama to Osaka is about 3.5 hrs. Of course if you want to do the "full route" it is another story.

Re: Nagoya - Toyama - Osaka 2018/2/9 17:28
18/5 Arrival Chubu airport morning - Head to Takayama (stay) Acitvate Hokuriku
19/5 Takayama -Shirakawago - Toyama
20/5 Alpine route - Kanazawa (stay)
21/5 Kanazwa (half day) - kyoto
22/5 Kyoto - Osaka Hokuriku expired
23/5 Osaka/ Nara (day trip)
24/5 Osaka
25/5 Osaka
26/5 Fly back morning

Does this make more sense? The only other transport fee I have to fork is out the Alpine route itself (Toyama to Murdo) at 7k yen...is that right?

by Faith6543 rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya - Toyama - Osaka 2018/2/9 17:36
All you did was remove 3 hours of train travel from one day. So no real fix.

It may work if you are only doing Murado. But you say alpine route. Which is longer.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya - Toyama - Osaka 2018/2/9 18:23
It may work if you are only doing Murado. But you say alpine route. Which is longer.

The OP says he/she will do the Murodo round trip. It is late May so there should still be the snow corridor. I did the Murodo round trip from Toyama and then the whole trip from Toyama to Shinano-Omachi last September when there was almost no snow, but still Murodo is the best spot in the entire route.

If you stay Kanazawa after Murodo, you might better consider staying Kanazawa after Shirakawago. Kanazawa to Toyama is only 22-23 min by Shinkansen which is covered by the Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass. In so doing you don't need to carry your luggage on day 3.

Re: Nagoya - Toyama - Osaka 2018/2/12 12:43
Thanks for all the advice, frog1954!

There's a new complication now..i had 4 pax to go when I planned this initially. The number might increase to 6 or 8. Should I consider driving?
by Faith6543 rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya - Toyama - Osaka 2018/2/12 13:18
I'm pretty sure that you can't drive a lot of the Alpine Route so you're going to need take public transport for that.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya - Toyama - Osaka 2018/2/14 11:37
Should I consider driving?

As rkold wrote, you can't do the Alpine route from Tateyama (to Bijodaira by cablecar, and to Murodo by bus).

I don't recommend self driving in big cities such as Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto or in the winter in the snowy places. Further, the road sign is mainly in Japanese with small English which might be hard to recognize from the car.

If it is very inconvenient places such as countryside of Hokkaido, Shikoku and Kyushu, you don't need to worry about the traffic and sometimes driving car is most appropriate mode of travel.

This time, Nagoya to Takayama to Shirakawago to Tateyama to Kyoto to Osaka. Well, I don't recommend it. It will be very hard ford the driver. The total cost (including gas, toll fee and drop-off fee) will be comparable to the public transportation and the time should be also comparable. Traffic in Kyoto and Osaka will be terrific and you will have difficulty in finding parking lot everywhere. Take public transportation (Takayama Hokuriku Area Pass and return ride from Toyama to Murodo) unless some of you are very fond of driving or some of you don't want to walk.

reply to this thread