Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka - Arashiyama by train 2018/2/8 17:04
Hi
I have plan to visit Arashiyama by train from Osaka in early April 2018

I stay near Osaka-Namba station , or Dobutsuen-Mae subway station
Plan in to go to Arashiyama, visit Togetsukyo bridge , Monkey Park (optional), Tenryuiji Temple, Bamboo grooves. Then walk back to Torokko Saga st and catch the Sagano Scenic Railway and back from Umahori st - Kyoto - Osaka

Is it better to catch the train from Namba or from Shin Osaka?
Osaka Namba to Sagaarashiyama involved 3 transfer and less expensive
Shin Osaka to Sagaarashiyama only 1 transfer and more expensive
Is it better to catch a taxi from Namba to Shin Osaka, the reason is because I am travelling with someone that has back problem and if we can simplify the travel the better. Would be even better if we can do that at a reasonable cost still

Sorry if I make it sounds too complicated, but I really want us to have an enjoyable trip
Thanks
Margaret

by Margaret (guest)  

Re: Osaka - Arashiyama by train 2018/2/8 18:37
Shin-Imamiya to Shin-Osaka to Kyoto to Saga-Arashiyama for JR lines option.

Dobutsuen-Mae to Awaji to KAtsura to Hankyu-Arashiyama for sunbay/Hankyu option.

I'd only do the JR lines option if I had a JR pass, otherwise the Hankyu option is quicker and cheaper.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka - Arashiyama by train 2018/2/8 21:13
Avoid morning rush. Say, from 7:30 to 9:00. If you start very early (6:00) or very late (10:00) on a weekday, you will have no problem. Personally, I would go to Umeda by subway and take Hankyu since Umeda is the terminal and you can wait for the next limited express train (note that Hankyu limited express does not require additional fee) to secure your seats.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka - Arashiyama by train 2018/2/9 14:05
Thank you @Hakata14, @Frog54 for your respons
Just a general question :
If there is a seat fee, does it mean that I have to make a reservation for the seat ? Or it is not necessary ?
I notice that the seat fee is usually charged during rush / peak hours

Thanks

by Margaret (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka - Arashiyama by train 2018/2/9 14:57
Also, why the timetable describe "transfer 1 times" eventhough it still using the same line

Example travelling from Fushimi Inari to Yodoyabashi

11.34 - 11.41 Fushimi inari - Tambabashi Keihan main line for Yodoyabashi
11.43 - 12.23 Tambabashi - Yodoyabashi Keihan main line for Yodoyabashi

Does is mean we have to change the train at Tambabashi ?

Sorry I am confused reading Hyperdia's Timetables

by Margaret (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka - Arashiyama by train 2018/2/9 17:33
Depends on the symbol between journey legs. A double grey arrow just means to stay on the train as it continues.

The help using website down the bottom of the hyperdia webpage as a description of all the symbols.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka - Arashiyama by train 2018/2/9 17:52
If there is a seat fee, does it mean that I have to make a reservation for the seat ? Or it is not necessary ?

This canft be generalized. Some trains have only greserved seath in which there is no non-reserved seat. In this case, the reservation is mandatory. Some trains have reserved and non-reserved seat both of which require gexpress feeh. In this case also you must pay something in addition to the gnormal fareh. Some trains have reserved seat which requires reserved seat fee and non-reserved seat which does not require seat fee. And finally, there are trains with only non-reserved seat. Of course you donft need to pay for the reserved seat fee nor the express fee. In fact you can easily know what you must pay on Hyperdia.

I will show you some examples.

https://goo.gl/uAe31w

See Route 1. Tennoji to Umeda is subway and does not require gseat feeh (by Hyperdia. It should be gexpress feeh I think). Osaka to Shin-osaka is JR commuter train which does not require seat fee also. Of course you canft reserve seat in these trains. Shin-Osaka to Kyoto is by Shinkansen which requires greserved seat feeh or gnon-reserved seat feeh which sometimes make confusion among foreign tourists. Most Japanese understand JR Express trains (including Shinkansen) require gexpress feeh which is subdivided to greserved seat express feeh and gnon-reserved seat express feeh. In this case, the former is 2460 yen while the latter is 860 yen. Most Japanese do not get Shinkansen when going to Kyoto from Shin-Osaka. If you take Route 3, JR Special Rapid Service take you to Kyoto without no additional fee (normal fare 560 yen is required). In this case you canft reserve seat.

I notice that the seat fee is usually charged during rush / peak hours

I have never heard of this information. Where did you get this idea? Perhaps itfs not true. Almost all limited express trains by non-JR lines connecting Osaka and Kyoto have no greserved seath (there are some exceptions, as you will see later in this post) regardless of the time of the day.

Also, why the timetable describe "transfer 1 times" eventhough it still using the same line

Probably you mean this.

https://goo.gl/Cp6EEF

In Route 1, you will take Keihan Main Line Sub-Exp. for YODOYABASHI first. This train goes to Yosoyabashi, but you might better take faster Keihan Main Line Ltd. Exp. for YODOYABASHI. To do this you must transfer at Tambabashi. Keihan Main Line Ltd. Exp. has both reserved and unreserved seat (car). In this case if you take the reserved seat (this is a kind of superior seat, like business class seat in the airplane), you must reserve and pay additional 500 yen.

It might seem confusing, but just think you will pay for time or comfort. Sometimes many people think it is worth, sometimes not.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread