Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I swap my UK laptop cables with JP ones? 2018/2/9 16:25
Hi there,

Have just moved to Japan, and have plug adaptors for my two laptops I use for work. I'm wondering, however, whether I can just replace the kettle cables (the ones that connect to the power brick) with ones that have the Japanese prongs? The UK plugs are so bulky, and if it's possible I'd like to just replace them.

Kind regards
by MrMoo (guest)  

Re: Can I swap my UK laptop cables with JP ones? 2018/2/9 19:02
normally yes. the power brick/transformers is a switch mode 100-240V version (will be written on it somewhere) and the plug into the wall is removable from the brick/transformer, then yeah it should work without issues.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Can I swap my UK laptop cables with JP ones? 2018/2/9 22:09
As @Hakata14 says yes, absolutely. You can get little stub "adaptors" in most if not all electronics stores.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Can I swap my UK laptop cables with JP ones? 2018/2/10 09:10
Thanks! One more question though - I've noticed that the cables differ in amp. Will I need to get a cable that has the same amp output to the one currently in the transformer?
by MrMoo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I swap my UK laptop cables with JP ones? 2018/2/10 15:06
wouldn't the cable you are replacing be the input to the transformer? So the output shouldn't be an issue.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Can I swap my UK laptop cables with JP ones? 2018/2/10 18:38
@Hakata14 is correct again. This is what I bought about a decade ago. The green circle is because it had a cable for earth which I cut off. http://s349.photobucket.com/user/Stan_Norrell/library/Laptop%20adapter
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Can I swap my UK laptop cables with JP ones? 2018/2/10 19:04
Thanks :) I bought the cables today and everything's working fine! Cables everywhere now...

Thanks again!
by MrMoo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread