Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kansai Hiroshima Pass: Okayama to Tottori? 2018/2/9 22:14
Hi everyone. My original plan for mid-march was to travel from Hiroshima to Osaka, stopping for a few days in Okayama in between. So I decided that I might get the JR Kansai Hiroshima Pass.

However, I was not quick enough to book sumo wrestling tickets, and since that was basically all I wanted to go to Osaka for (I've been to the Kansai region on previous trips), I'm thinking of going to Tottori instead.

Looking at the Kansai Hiroshima Pass, it does go to Tottori but in quite a round about fashion: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_kansai_hiroshima.html

I could get the JR Sanyo Sanin Pass instead since it has a more direct route to Tottori: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_sanyo_sanin.html. However, it costs 5500yen more.

My questions are:
1) Would I be saving much more time if I get the Sanyo Sanin Pass? Or would the travel time be comparable? (Aka, is the time I could save worth the 5500yen extra?)
2) Could there be another more cost effective (and time efficient) way to get from Okayama to Tottori besides using passes?

Thank you.
by kiraning (guest)  

Re: Kansai Hiroshima Pass: Okayama to Tottori? 2018/2/10 14:38
Tsuyama to Tottori is about 3100 yen. It will be additional to the pass. Or you can go the long way around for free via kinosaki-onsen.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Hiroshima Pass: Okayama to Tottori? 2018/2/10 14:56
For the limited express.

You can do it for 1490 yen on local trains taking 2.5 hours.

Re: Kansai Hiroshima Pass: Okayama to Tottori? 2018/2/10 16:07
Tsuyama to Tottori is about 3100 yen. It will be additional to the pass.

As far as I searched, there is no limited express that goes to Tottori through Tsuyama. The main route should be going through Kamigori, and the fare including non-reserved seat for express train from Kamigori to Tottori is 3050 yen, so the conclusion is not so different. There seems to be no good alternate for the express train going through Kamigori and Chizu express. The Sanyo-San'in Area pass is 5500 yen more expensive, but it is valid for 2 more days and you can use reserved seating.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Hiroshima Pass: Okayama to Tottori? 2018/2/10 16:29
Thank for the correction. The price quote is similar, so that Chizu/Inaba ltd exp is probably what I was originally thinking about.

Not sure any pass will pay off one direction Hiroshima to Osaka via Tottori. But it time traveling is a key want, and I needed a pass. Then I'd get the San'in pass for extra 5000 yen, as going to and from Tottori will cost more than that.

Re: Kansai Hiroshima Pass: Okayama to Tottori? 2018/2/10 17:04
kiraning:

Another major difference between the two JR-West rail passes is:
unlike the Kansai-Hiroshima Area Pass, the Sanyo-San'in Area Pass allows you to use reserved seats in Shinkansen and Limited Express trains.
http://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai_hiroshima/
http://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/sanyo_sanin/

When you travel between Kamigori and Tottori only once, the Kansai-Hiroshima Area Pass could be a better choice.
Kamigori Station is on one of the three routes between Okayama and Aioi.
The section Okayama -- Kamigori can be covered by both the two passes.

How is your whole itinerary?
Which airport(s) will you fly into and fly out from?

hakata14:
Maybe you misunderstood as if Limited Express (Super Inaba) went via Tsuyama.
The basic fare to get from Tsuyama to Tottori is 1490 yen as you say.
Actually only seven trains go in a day from Tsuyama to Chizu, which are all Local trains;
and it may require 3 and a half to 4 hours to travel on non-express trains from Okayama to Tottori, which is very unrealistic.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Hiroshima Pass: Okayama to Tottori? 2018/2/11 14:51
Thank you all for your helpful replies! I hadn't realised that I could reserve seats with the sanyo sanin pass. That sounds very convenient.

@omotenashi I will be flying in and out of Hiroshima airport and my itinerary is as follows:
16-18 Mar: Hiroshima
19 Mar: Hiroshima to Tadanoumi (Okunoshima Island), then onwards to Okayama
20 Mar: Day trip to Bitchu-Takahashi and Kurashiki
21 Mar: Day trip to Naoshima Island
22-23 Mar: Tottori
23 Mar afternoon: Head back to Hiroshima
I'll be leaving on 24th afternoon.
by kiraning (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Hiroshima Pass: Okayama to Tottori? 2018/2/11 16:20
With your itinerary it will cost almost 30,000 yen when you buy tickets individually. If you buy the Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass, you need to pay 3050*2=6100 yen additionally. Therefore you might better buy The Sanyo-San'in Area pass 19,000 yen.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Hiroshima Pass: Okayama to Tottori? 2018/2/11 16:25
I see, in that case I'll go ahead and get the sanyo sanin pass. Thank you!
by kiraning (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread