Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 01:19
Hi! Im currently in Japan for 2 months now and holding a "temporary visitor". However i got married here last December, and we already filed for "spouse visa" last January 4. And up to now we haven't received the postcard yet.

My question is, we went back to japan immigration and try to request for a extension since my tourist visa is about to expire next week. And they told us that it is automatically extended for 2 months since i already applied for spouse visa. Now im wondering why they didn't put a stamp in my visa/passport or even give us a paper for proof?? And can i stay here even without it or go back home in our country and wait there??

I hope someone can answer my question as soo as possible, coz im concern and panicking now. My departure ticket to go back in our country is already in February 25.
by JackieKairan  

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 11:55
Can I ask why not your Japanese spouse call the immigration?
If you need the answer asap, I think you REALLY should call directly and ask them.

(I'm also Japanese spouse. I always wonder when I read spousal visa related questions in this forum why Japanese spouse doesn't take care of them.)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 12:02
Thanks for the reply. My husband called the japan immigration yesterday and they still gave us the same answer . But why they didnt put a stamp or even ask us to go back there to stamped it and give us the paper for proof?? Why its all verbal??
by JackieKairan rate this post as useful

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 12:15
If that is the answer, that's that. I thought they gave you a stamp or give you a piece of paper describing the process, if you yourself went in person, but maybe they got rid of that.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 12:42
I see. Does that mean i can stay here in japan for additional 2 months with no fear that one day the immigration will stop me or put on hold for not having a stamp or that piece of paper?? Or bettet yet ill go back to our country and wait there??

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 12:44
If that is the answer, that's that. I thought they gave you a stamp or give you a piece of paper describing the process, if you yourself went in person, but maybe they got rid of that.

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 12:55
One last question, is it true that if i go back in our country while the application for spouse visa is being processed, it'll be cancelled ??

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 13:31
Just to be sure, when you say filed for "spouse visa" do you :

1. apply for change of status from TEMPORARY VISITOR to SPOUSE OF JAPANESE NATIONAL STATUS

or

2. apply for COE FOR SPOUSE OF JAPANESE NATIONAL VISA

Unless there is new procedure,
1.change of status should have your passport stamped APPLICATION, which will grant you stay extension until your application is decided

while

2.COE will not have any stamp on your passport.

So double check your application, what was being applied for.

by @... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 13:52
Again AFAIK, I don't think that is true. You should be able to leave Japan as long as you come back before the extra time is up. But in case the postcard comes in in the meantime, you know that there is only a limited period of time during which you need to show up at immigration to get the new "spouse" status. For this one, I recommend contacting immigration again to make sure.

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 13:56
If it is COE with no stamp and my temporary visitor visa is about to expire, what should i do??

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 14:33
Sorry I was assuming it was a change without anyCoE.

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 14:43
If incase i go back in our country next week and my husband will revieve the postcard next month and he will send the postcard to me in our country, can i process the postcard or spouse visa in japan immigration in our country in the philippines ??

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 16:55
I am not familiar with the COE process with the applicant in Jspan, so please get your husband to call immigration again to ask. And please be sure to get him to ask about an CoE application, not about a change of status.

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 16:55
I am not familiar with the COE process with the applicant in Jspan, so please get your husband to call immigration again to ask. And please be sure to get him to ask about an CoE application, not about a change of status.

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 20:20
You need to check and confirm what application did you apply for?

Did you applied for CHANGE OF STATUS or COE FOR VISA?

CHANGE OF STATUS your passport will be stamped APPLICATION, when the application is accepted. Your stay will be extended until your CHANGE OF STATUS is granted/denied.
However not sure whether you can leave Japan and enter again during your application extension period. Check with the immigration.

COE FOR VISA you will need to leave Japan before your current TEMPORARY VISITOR status expired or else you be consider OVERSTAYED. Once the COE is approved, it will be send to your husband address(you did include self addressed stamp envelop during application). He will need to send this COE to you in Philipines and you will need to apply for SPOUSE VISA at Japanese Embassy in Philipines. Check with the Japanese Embassy for require documents and procedure.
Once your visa is approved at embassy, then you can enter Japan using the Spouse visa and COE.

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/14 22:24
Thanks for the answer, its very helpful. But why did the immigration told us that i can stay here for two months after the expiration of my temporary visitor even if they know that i am waiting for the COE not the change of status??

Can you reply in english and nihonggo separately, so that i can explain it to my husband and let him read your answer,coz i can speak a little nihonggo only.

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/15 10:49
First thing to do is to double confirm/check what type of application did you "filed" in at the immigration.
We don't know that and it is not clear to us.
And also depend on how you phrase your word the immigration will only give you relevant information pertaining to your "word/question".
It is not their job to explain what is available options, unless specific question asked.

Best is find out what exactly is your 'filed' application is and start from there.

Sorry, my Japanese is not that good to put it in writing.

Change of Status application : your passport will be stamped APPLICATION if your application is accepted for process. You are granted extension of stay until the application result is known. Normally within 1-2 months.
http://www.reviewmylife.co.uk/blog/2011/07/06/japan-visa-change-of-sta...

COE application : You need to leave Japan before your Temp. Visitor stay expired. If approved, COE will be send to your husband address, and he need to send COE to you in Philipines. Then you bring the COE and other required document for Spouse Visa application at Japanese Embassy in Philipines. Once granted the Spouse Visa, you can enter Japan with the visa and COE, which the immigration at airport will give you your resident card with Spouse of Japanese National status if they let you in.

Below are the information about application for COE and Change of Status, both link in Japanese and English.

Ý—¯Ž‘Ši”F’èØ–¾‘Œð•t\¿‘
APPLICATION FOR CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY (COE)
English version:
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/01.html
Japanese Version:
http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/16-1.html

Ý—¯Ž‘Ši•ÏX‹–‰Â\¿‘
APPLICATION FOR CHANGE OF STATUS OF RESIDENCE
English Version
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/02.html
Japanese Version
http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/16-2.html

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/15 12:07
I cheked the application and its stated there that i applied for CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY for spouse..

Re: Why there is no stamp in my visa? 2018/2/15 20:26
My question is, we went back to japan immigration and try to request for a extension since my tourist visa is about to expire next week. And they told us that it is automatically extended for 2 months since i already applied for spouse visa. Now im wondering why they didn't put a stamp in my visa/passport or even give us a paper for proof?? And can i stay here even without it or go back home in our country and wait there??

Thanks for the answer, its very helpful. But why did the immigration told us that i can stay here for two months after the expiration of my temporary visitor even if they know that i am waiting for the COE not the change of status??

Now that you confirmed that your application is COE, and yet on your earlier post you said as above, maybe you should check and clarify again with immigration office.

Usually COE application will not automatically extend your current status(Temp. Visitor), you have to leave and complete your spouse visa application at Japan embassy.

reply to this thread