Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ishigaki rental car location advise 2018/2/19 07:26
Hi,
Will spend 3,5 day in Ishigaki island and as I plan on staying in the central parts not too far from the ferry and bus station, I try to figure which rental shop(s) would be best if doing a one day sightseeing of Ishigaki.

The other days I plan to see the other islands so renting a car at the airport would be a hassle imo.

I will be carrying an Intl Drivings Licence (IDL), but reading on http://www.ishigaki-japan.com, it mentions IDL might not be accepted everywhere but on the more nationwide rental shops like Toyota (which is only located at the airport)...

I am not really sure what to do in this matter. I would rather want to secure a car as soon as possible.
by Ishi (guest)  

Re: Ishigaki rental car location advise 2018/2/19 21:22
Many car rental shop don't bother about international driving licences, you have to have a international driving permit, they are two different things, although it's best to have both available when asked for.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Ishigaki rental car location advise 2018/2/19 21:26
Check requirments for driving in Japan, it's the same nationwide, and will vary from countries.

Re: Ishigaki rental car location advise 2018/2/20 01:21
Sorry. My bad. It was the driving permit I meant. I have one.

In Ishigaki downtown there are several different rental shops but the only ones with English page links me to their respective airport rental shop instead.

As I only rent it for a day, I find renting from the airport a big problem as I would need to get to and from there also...
by Ishigaki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ishigaki rental car location advise 2018/2/20 02:30
Best option is to plan out your trip and figure the best place to start your rental service, you can also consider pickup and drop off at different locations, although there will be a surcharge if you drop off at a different prefectures, pickup at tokyo and drop at other tokyo location will not incure extra cost.

My visit to Japan, I always rent a car for 2 days, 0500 to next day before 2230, I use nissan, pickup before 0500 and return after 2230 will have extra cost. also nissan is one of the few rental companies that have full coverage, meaning you pay nothing if anything happens.

My last rental was december cost about 21000 yen inclusive everything for a Nissan Note e-power, sort of like a hybrid car.

Re: Ishigaki rental car location advise 2018/2/20 02:34
update.

nissan rental in Ishigaki, has english registration.

Re: Ishigaki rental car location advise 2018/2/20 07:01
Hi,
Unfortunately the rental shop of Nissan is located at the airport as well it says...

Re: Ishigaki rental car location advise 2018/2/20 11:23
There is a Toyota Rental car bus at Ishigaki airport. I am currently staring at it while I wait for my bus to the ferry....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Ishigaki rental car location advise 2018/2/20 18:04
Huh? Toyota bus?

Re: Ishigaki rental car location advise 2018/2/20 18:53
There are many more car options than you think. As I went past Ishigaki airport, there were the following car rental options. Nissan, Orix, Budget, ABC and Toyota. There was a bus that takes people from the airport to the Toyota Car rental facility. Orix and Nippon are also in the main city....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Ishigaki rental car location advise 2018/2/20 20:30
could be a toyota shuttle service to take you to the rental station.

Re: Ishigaki rental car location advise 2018/2/20 22:34
Oh. That makes sense. But wouldn't a shuttle bus cost for such a long transfer distance?

I am not sure if I could comminucate good enough in Japanese to reserve a shuttle bus though...

Re: Ishigaki rental car location advise 2018/2/21 01:55
Shuttle service are normal short distances, nissan rental is only 5 minutes wall, but I think they also have a shuttle service.

Re: Ishigaki rental car location advise 2018/2/22 08:29
I mailed them today but unfortunately they ahve no shuttle.

It's about 2,5 km from the port. I don't mind walking but that's a little far...

I remember walking from Dogo Onsen to my Toyoko Inn hotel (Katsuyamacho) after I realized the tram had stopped running a bit earlier than expected. It took me half an hour.

Anyway. The rental shop seems to be near route 390, I suppose there must be some buses passing the area?

There is an Orix rental shop a few hundred meters closer to the city as well. Not sure which is better.

reply to this thread