Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best way to travel 2018/2/22 12:39
Hi Everybody,
Very excited about our travel to Japan next month. It'll be 2 adults and 2 kids(10&9)

We were just wondering what the best passes to buy for the train. Here's our rough travel plan.
Day 1 -3 : Arrive NRT. Take train to Osaka
Day 3-5 : Take train to Hilton Tokyo Bay/Disney Sea
Day 5-10 : Take train to Central Tokyo. Will probably be around the Sunshine City area.
While here, we'll be visiting Sunshine City, Akihabra, Odaiba, Shibuya, etc.

I see you can buy a JR Pass for 7 or 14 days but nothing in between.
Would it be best just to get a 7 Day JR pass then just pay as you go or would it be better to get a 14 day pass. While in Central Tokyo, we'll be traveling around different parts of the city.

Should we get a Passmo or Suica card for easier travel?
Seems like a Suica might be cheaper since I can get one for the whole family?

Was also thinking of picking up a Pocket Wifi to use out and about. It comes out cheaper then getting the international plan from AT&T at $10/day.
What do you think?

Thanks for your opinion!!!
by bsk997 (guest)  

Re: Best way to travel 2018/2/22 13:52
With a round-trip between Tokyo and Osaka, and the trip from Narita Airport to Tokyo on the N'EX, a 7-day JR Pass may be cost-effective. A 14-day JR Pass definitely will not be cost-effective, however. JR Passes are designed for long-distance travel between cities, not travel within cities; your only long-distance trips are Tokyo-Osaka and back. Remember to purchase the Pass before you come to Japan; it is cheaper to buy it outside of the country. What time do you arrive at NRT? You will need to make sure the exchange counter will be open, and also that you can take a shinkansen to Osaka straight away. Alternatively, you could organise a cheap domestic flight from NRT to Osaka, and not purchase the JR Pass at all.

You can purchase a Suica or PASMO at Narita Airport to use in both Tokyo and Osaka (even while your JR Pass is valid, not all transport is run by JR, so it's good to have an IC card). They will both work the same, so it is your choice which one you purchase. You can refund the remaining balance upon leaving Tokyo, or keep it for a future trip (they stay valid for up to ten years without use).

Pocket wifi is very convenient. I recommend SoftBank's rental - it's the cheapest I've found. (You should be able to Google it). Depending on your arrival time at Narita, you can pick it up at the airport so you can start using it straight away, or organise to have it sent to your first hotel.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to travel 2018/2/23 00:34
Thank you for the assistance!

We land into NRT at 3:30pm so I think we should be ok to pick up the JR pass.
I think we'll just order the 7 day JR Pass. I thought the JR pass would work on all the trains. Sounds like it's just for the long rides on the bullet trains.

Thanks for the tip on the SoftBank pocket wifi rental!
by bsk997 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to travel 2018/2/23 02:57
What are you doing in Osaka? Seems like you will only have 1-1.5 days there, since you will probably get to Osaka near bed time.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to travel 2018/2/23 03:45
Ifm pretty sure therefs no way you can use any IC cars for a group of people.
Itfs one card per person (and, for the kids, you need a child card each, or else you end up paying full fare).
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to travel 2018/2/23 05:43
You can use the JR Pass for any travel within cities that is operated by JR (e.g. the Yamanote Line in Tokyo). It's the cost that makes it not worth it - local travel isn't expensive enough to justify the cost of a 14-day JR Pass.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to travel 2018/2/24 05:38
Yeah, it seems like a far and a bit expensive just to spend about 1.5 days there but the boss wants to go. She wants to see the castle, shopping area. Kids want to see the Pokemeon center, Nara's deer park.
by bsk997 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to travel 2018/2/24 16:14
Day 1 -3 : Arrive NRT. Take train to Osaka
We land into NRT at 3:30pm
Day 3-5 : Take train to Hilton Tokyo Bay/Disney Sea

With these information, I would recommend you to take airplane than the bullet train (plus some trains), since airplane is faster and cheaper. Two legacy airlines (JAL and ANA) provides promotional airfare for foreign tourists which is about 8000 yen between Tokyo (Narita and Haneda) and Osaka (mainly Itami). Narita to Itami is not so many (perhaps twice a day, in the evening) so it might be possible that the promotional fare ticket is sold out, but you can also consider LCC (Peach, Jetstar etc) flight to Kansai airport (KIX). From Itami you can take airport limousine bus to many of the central regions of Osaka (JR Osaka, Namba, Tennoji etc.). From KIX you can take Nankai Rapi:t express which will take 35 min.

From Osaka (Itami) to Haneda there are many flights by JAL and ANA so you can easily find the promotional fare. The flight will take about 1 hour. There are bus service from Haneda airport to Hilton Tokyo about twice an hour.

by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread