Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary Kyoto to ? to Tokyo 2018/2/23 10:00
Hi all,

My wife (5 months pregnant at time of travel) and I are going to Japan for the first time!

We are going this March, landing in Osaka (landing at 10am) on the 19th March and returning from Haneda on the 26th March at 2am.

We know we don't have that much time but we would like to get a glimpse of the best of Japan. We would like to see the traditional side of Japan, have at least one 'experience' such as visiting a blacksmith or a wasabi plantation, ideally with some time to relax close to nature and some nice views, but also experience Tokyo.

We had thought of staying in Kyoto on the 19th, 20th, and 21st (visiting Nara one of the days) and perhaps arrive in Tokyo in the evening of the 23rd and stay there also on the 24th (with the 25th passed at the airport already. For the middle bit we had thought perhaps of going to Takayama or Araraji for that relaxation bit, but are somewhat concerned it may make us loose some time in travels, particularly if we were to stay there only for one night.

What do you think? Would anybody have any suggestions for that middle relax bit, particularly options on the bullet train or at least somewhat more accessible that Takayama or Araraji? Also, we were thinking it might be worth to reduce the time in Tokyo to 2 days and 1 night only and with that get an extra night on the middle bit?

Many thanks in advance for all advice you can give!!
Helen and Rodrigo
by Rodrigo (guest)  

Re: Itinerary Kyoto to ? to Tokyo 2018/2/23 18:31
With only a limited amount of time and a pregnant partner. you don't have time to go rural and see traditional Japan.

Do yourself a favour and cancel this trip, and aim for when you bub is around 10-12 months old and you can allot more time to your travels.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Kyoto to ? to Tokyo 2018/2/23 21:47
Thank you for the note for cancelling the trip, but this is pretty much an opportunity holiday as Ifm going there for work. We certainly hope to be back for a proper tour of Japan, but right now with these known restrictions and assuming we would not cancel the trip, what would be your suggestion? Stick to Kyoto and Tokyo only? Is there any other option for a bit of peace and quiet that does not involve much travel? Thank you.
by Rodrigo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Kyoto to ? to Tokyo 2018/2/23 22:23
Ah. In which case I would suggest sticking to Kyoto & Tokyo with at least a day trip to Nara. You can use the loop bus to reduce the amount of walking. Hikone is nice & quiet & on route. I have not been to Shizuoka but the views of Mount Fuji from there look great. Oh & this just popped up on the front page https://www.japan-guide.com/blog/sam/171204.html
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Kyoto to ? to Tokyo 2018/2/24 12:54
Yes stick to Kyoto and Tokyo only if you have only 6 full days.

Arashiyama is relaxing if you don't do the monkey park, but temple, nature, sagano railway and river boats.

Re: Itinerary Kyoto to ? to Tokyo 2018/2/26 08:07
Thank you for the note for cancelling the trip, but this is pretty much an opportunity holiday as Ifm going there for work. We certainly hope to be back for a proper tour of Japan, but right now with these known restrictions and assuming we would not cancel the trip, what would be your suggestion? Stick to Kyoto and Tokyo only? Is there any other option for a bit of peace and quiet that does not involve much travel? Thank you.
by Rodrigo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Kyoto to ? to Tokyo 2018/2/26 09:12
echo echo echo...

Re: Itinerary Kyoto to ? to Tokyo 2018/2/26 10:16
Your trip is very short to be doing a lot trips outside Kyoto and Tokyo, but if you must :) maybe something like Shuzenji? (between Kyoto and Tokyo, and accessible by another railway from JR Mishima station, where JR Shinkanse stops)

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6311.html
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Kyoto to ? to Tokyo 2018/2/26 16:54
Something odd happened here. The system has eaten my post from yesterday & duplicated others, anyhow, to repeat.

I would get the 1 day pass on the tram system "Hiroden" to reduce the amount of walking http://hiroden.co.jp/en/e-1day.html There is a huge variety of trams in service in Hiroshima and you never know if you will get a very modern one or a very old one. The ferry to Miyajima is covered by the JR Pass.

Re: Itinerary Kyoto to ? to Tokyo 2018/2/26 17:05
Oops my confusion. Too many tabs open. Kindly disregard my post above re:Hiroshima. If any moderators see this please delete it.

reply to this thread