Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Asthma Medication 2018/2/24 06:30
Hi all.

Ifm visiting Japan for three months and I have just found out that I may need a yakkan shoumei and that it can take time to process. I have seventeen days before I leave.

Worst comes to worst, I will have to buy salbutamol inhalers as I cannot live without it. I use it daily.

Ifm a resident of Wales and we get our prescriptions for free but if I need to buy them my questions are this:

Can I buy them if I am not a citizen?
Where can I buy them from?

Any help would be great as I leave on the 13th March 2018
by RobynMakin  

Re: Asthma Medication 2018/2/24 07:36
If all your Yakkan Shoumei paperwork is in order and you email it, you should receive the approval within a day or two - at least that's my experience.....and an asthma inhaler is one of my medications....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Asthma Medication 2018/2/24 11:39
Why donft you bring the 3 mths supply. That not an excessive quantity. If asked at the airport (very unlikely) tell them itfs for personal use. Your ticket shows the exit dates.
You can also ask yr GP to provide a medical certificate that states you use the medication. Again in my opinion itfs highly unnecessary unless you are carrying a years supply.

by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Asthma Medication 2018/2/24 13:02
I would bring in 3 months worth also. It is a common drug and also customs are used to seeing it. Reason why below...

If you need a prescription, you go to the doctor. Very expensive for first time visitor in Japan. $150-200USD

then take prescription to drug store and purchase.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Asthma Medication 2018/2/24 19:25
1. Yakkan shounmei must be obtained if you bring more than a one-month supply of ANY medicine, no matter how "common".

2. As already mentioned, yakkan shounmei can now be applied for by e-mail, so it does not take as much time as it used to.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Asthma Medication 2018/2/24 22:57
Thank you everyone.

I will bring a letter from my doctor and all of my prescription documents, keep the medicine in the original boxes as well.

I have emailed the Embassy of Japan in the U.K. and I have spoken to the Consul of my city for the embassy, I am just waiting for a reply from them.

I will update further with a final resolution so others can see.
by RobynMakin rate this post as useful

Re: Asthma Medication 2018/2/24 23:22
The embassy is not the right place to ask about this (it is pretty much never the right place to ask about anything other than visa applications).

It is the MHLW that is in charge of this. http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/01...
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread