Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel between Hiroshima and Yokohama 2018/2/25 08:41
I am just wondering if it would be better to stop along the way to Hiroshima from Yokosuka or take SHINKANSEN HIKARI 493 out of Yokohama station and go straight to Hiroshima and make stops on the way back?

We will have a 7 day JRPass and want to go as far as Hiroshima and then back. I am hoping we can catch the Cherry Blossoms when we are there on April 16- April 20. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. so far we think these stops would be preferable.

Miyajima Island - full day
Osaka - optional short stop
Kobe - optional short stop
Kyoto - half day
Arashiyama and Sagano - full day

We picked the above stops because they are essentially en route to Hiroshima and are reachable with the JRPass.

thank you!!!!

by perezp77  

Re: Travel between Hiroshima and Yokohama 2018/2/25 12:13
https://www.japan-guide.com/sakura/

Please check the forecast to plan your visits if your main aim is to see cherry blossoms. How long is your whole trip?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Travel between Hiroshima and Yokohama 2018/2/25 20:44
Yes, I saw the schedule for cherry blossoms and that is why I was wondering if it made a difference if I went to Hiroshima first or should I try to stop along the way. When they bloom, how long do they last? I will be in Yokosuka on Saturday April 14 and was planning to go to Mt. Hakone for the weekend and then take off on Monday towards Hiroshima. I have to be back in Yokosuka by Friday night April 20 . Looking at the schedule maybe I need to skip Hakone and head north to Fukishima area to see the Cherry Blossoms.
by perezp77 rate this post as useful

Re: Travel between Hiroshima and Yokohama 2018/2/26 06:35
I would read the forecasts again as it should answer most of you questions. Considering the date of your travels. You'll be on the very end of any cherry blossom viewing for your listed destinations.

Yes going north of Tokyo will help you in you adventures to see cherry blossoms.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: your itinerary and cherry blossoms 2018/2/26 13:53
I am hoping we can catch the Cherry Blossoms

Mid-April may well be to late
to see common, five-petal cherry blossoms in or to the west of Kanto Region.
Probably you will have more chances in Tohoku Region
(e.g. Aizuwakamatsu and Nihonmatsu in Fukushima Prefecture, Sendai in Miyagi Prefecture).

Late-blooming, double-flower cherry blossoms may be seen at some spots in Kanto,
such as Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden in Tokyo,
but still you had better go there early.

When they bloom, how long do they last?

That depends on weather conditions; a strong wind may scatter cherry petals.

I will be in Yokosuka on Saturday April 14

Where in Yokosuka City will you stay?
What station is close?

It is about 34 kilometers, around 45 minutes
to go from Yokosuka Station to Yokohama Station by the JR Yokosuka Line.

take SHINKANSEN HIKARI 493 out of Yokohama station

Shinkansen is not available from Yokohama Station.
The only Shinkansen station in Yokohama City is Shin-Yokohama Station.

To travel with your Japan Rail Pass by the Shinkansen for western Japan,
you make two transfers,
first in Yokohama Station to the Yokohama Line (Track 4),
and second in Shin-Yokohama Station
from the Yokohama Line via the Shinkansen East or West Transfer Gate
to the Shinkansen.
(The two platforms in Shin-Yokohama Station are apart from each other.)
I recommend you except at least 30 minutes
after your arrival to Yokohama Station
until you get to the Shinkansen platform in Shin-Yokohama Station.

Similarly the only Shinkansen station in Osaka / Kobe City
is Shin-Osaka / Shin-Kobe Station.

Unlike Shin-Yokohama and Shin-Osaka Stations,
Shin-Kobe Station is not on a JR non-Shinkansen line.
So, when you come to Shin-Kobe Station by the Shinkansen,
you have to use a non-JR transportation mode
to go to another area of Kobe City such as Sannomiya.

Alternatively you can make a transfer in Shin-Osaka Station
and take a Special Rapid train to Sannomiya Station.
In that case,
please pay attention to morning and evening commuters' rushes on weekdays.

and go straight to Hiroshima

A Japan Rail Pass does not allow you to take Shinkansen Nozomi or Mizuho trains.
According to the timetable which should be effective from 2018/3/17,
regular Shinkansen trains
which depart from Shin-Yokohama and run to or beyond Hiroshima
are Nozomi trains, except Hikari 493 (bound for Hiroshima), which departs at 6:00.
To catch this Hikari train,
you may need to leave your Yokosuka accommodation before 5:00.
Otherwise, as long as you travel with you Japan Rail Pass,
you change Shinkansen trains at least once on your way from Shin-Yokohama to Hiroshima.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Travel between Hiroshima and Yokohama 2018/2/26 14:24
I am hoping we can catch the Cherry Blossoms when we are there on April 16- April 20

The blooming of the most popular species (someiyoshino) will end way before you even depart Yokosuka, unless you travel northbound. But you can still see other species in Hiroshima (as well as in Yokosuka). There are a few parks that have various species so that visitors can enjoy at least some kind of cherry blossoms during March to even May. Although cherry blossoms are the most visual from a great distance, you can also enjoy a variety of flowers during this season.

I am just wondering if it would be better to stop along the way to Hiroshima from Yokosuka or take SHINKANSEN HIKARI 493 out of Yokohama station and go straight to Hiroshima and make stops on the way back?

Since you don't have to worry about the blossoms, it totally depends where you want to be less tired from your trip. Note that Shinkansen trains depart from Shin-Yokohama station instead of Yokohama station. I'm sure you know that Shinkansen trains also stop at Kyoto, Shin-Osaka and Kobe.

By the way, do keep in mind that, at least in the cities you mention, touristic spots aren't really right there in front of the terminal stations. So even if you only intend to see one or two spots per city, you should take it easy. For example, don't try to do Kyoto and Osaka in one day and move on to the next city. You'll only have time to do some quick shopping and lunch. Think like, see Kyoto during the day, have dinner at Osaka and stay over, and then see Osaka in the morning and move on for lunch.

When they bloom, how long do they last?

Just to answer your question, cherry blossoms change during the course of a couple of weeks. First, part of the trees start to blossom, and then they fully bloom, and then petals begin to scatter in the air, and then green leaves start to grow among the blossoms, and each aspect is beautiful in its own way, and each viewer has his/her preferences (I love the scattering period).

Hope you have a great spring in Japan!
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread