Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

opinion on my incoming trip to japan 2018/3/2 09:03
Greetings! I'm planning going to Japan from May 14-20. I want give you my itinerary and tell me if its a good one or not?

Day 1-2 Tokyo (May 14-16)
Day 3 Hakone (May 16-17)
Day 4 Kyoto (May 17-18)
Day 5 Osaka (18-19)
Day 6 Roppongi (19-20)

My question is do you think this is good choice of cities to go to? I'm planning purchasing a JR Pass, would that ticket cover all the cities thats listed? My plane leaves at 5pm on the 20th. Would you change anything? Sorry about the all the questions, i just like to be prepared :).
by Alexa (guest)  

Re: opinion on my incoming trip to japan 2018/3/2 11:05
Too rushed. Just stay around Tokyo, there's more than enough to do for a week.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: opinion on my incoming trip to japan 2018/3/2 12:05
I agree that it is too rushed. Skip Kansai.

You can easily find out yourself if a JR Pass covers all of those destinations. It won't get you all the way to Hakone.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: opinion on my incoming trip to japan 2018/3/2 12:18
Your schedule looks fine if there are things you want to do in each of those places. Definitely don't spend all the time in Tokyo. Or Osaka. Both are extremely overrated, and quite frankly, boring. Osaka is especially lame. If you like traditional Japan, spend even more time in Kyoto.
by Traveler (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: opinion on my incoming trip to japan 2018/3/2 15:22
Agree with PP. Too rushed. Depending on your interests I would do Tokyo and Kyoto only.
JR pass calculators exist. Just consider that it is valid ONLY on JR trains. So while it can be used in transportation within the cities there might be much better options such as subways and buses. Also inner city transportation isnft expensive enough to pay off for the pass. So if the pass pays off for your long distance travel then use it as a bonus in the cities.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: opinion on my incoming trip to japan 2018/3/6 03:08
If you don't have your flights yet you could do a fast-paced week flying into Tokyo and out of Kyoto/Osaka, but you don't get your money's worth out of a JR pass.

Personally I'd stay in one of the two cities and take a day trip or two to nearby locations. For example: Tokyo with a day trip to Kamakura or Nikko, or Kyoto with a day trip to Himeji or Nara.
by SkipperL rate this post as useful

Re: opinion on my incoming trip to japan 2018/3/6 13:00
Too rushed for 6 days.

Just do Tokyo and Hakone. And even 6 days isn't enough for those two sights.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: opinion on my incoming trip to japan 2018/3/6 14:20
I would tend to agree with the above. I am going to Japan soon for the 2nd time and will be spending 6 days just in Tokyo (spent 4 days in Tokyo last time), out of a 19 day trip.

Given that the total time you have is 6 days, it may be extreme to only go to Tokyo. You could feasibly begin to scratch the surface of Tokyo/Kyoto. I wouldn't try and fit in Osaka - for me the vibe is like a more laid back and gritty version of Tokyo, Kyoto gives you a bit more diversity.
by Kanishka (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: opinion on my incoming trip to japan 2018/3/6 21:27
I agree with most of the comments above that this is much too rushed. Ifd pick two of the above destinations, your must see places, and leave it at that. Personally, Ifd choose to do 2 nights Tokyo, one night Hikone and then 3 nights Kyoto. You can then check on Hyperdia if a JPR pass is worth it (I very much doubt it).
by Ronda (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread