Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Strange Chubu and Kinki attractions 2018/3/3 18:04
What are some of the more interesting attractions in the southern Chubu and Kinki regions?

I'm trying to stay away from the typical tourist destinations since the people I'm traveling with are Japanese and have already traveled extensively around the country.

I'm interested in "off the beaten path" attractions. Nothing excites them anymore, so I'd like to find something out of the ordinary and/or strange.
by Here&Back (guest)  

Re: Strange Chubu and Kinki attractions 2018/3/4 08:24
The whole Otsu/Biwako/Shiga region never gets enough love. Castles, 200-300yo canals, cruises, islands, beaches, temples, temple on islands etc. And only 30-60 minutes outside Kyoto.

https://en.biwako-visitors.jp/
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Strange Chubu and Kinki attractions 2018/3/4 16:38
I enjoyed very much inner Nara prefecture:

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.nl/search/label/Kansai+Ride?m=1

Imaicho, Hasedera ...

I agree with PP on Lake Biwa

Also the cape irago and the ride down that peninsula was really nice. I can vividly recommend the Kyukamura hotel at the cape. And then off by ferry to Toba and Ise.

bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.nl/2017/10/day-35-bentenjima-to-irago.html?m=1

I guess if you want to impress Japanese you need to find an extremely nice onsen resort in the area. I enjoyed Hirayu but that might be a bit too far from where you are looking.

Enjoy your trip through Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Strange Chubu and Kinki attractions 2018/3/4 16:38
I enjoyed very much inner Nara prefecture:

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.nl/search/label/Kansai+Ride?m=1

Imaicho, Hasedera ...

I agree with PP on Lake Biwa

Also the cape irago and the ride down that peninsula was really nice. I can vividly recommend the Kyukamura hotel at the cape. And then off by ferry to Toba and Ise.

bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.nl/2017/10/day-35-bentenjima-to-irago.html?m=1

I guess if you want to impress Japanese you need to find an extremely nice onsen resort in the area. I enjoyed Hirayu but that might be a bit too far from where you are looking.

Enjoy your trip through Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Strange Chubu and Kinki attractions 2018/3/5 22:12
Strange things... Well, it depends on what they view as "strange"...

There is a famous phallic shrine in Komaki (Tagata Shrine) along with a rarer "breast" shrine, Mama Kannon Temple. Although not completely unknown, these shrines are not common so there is a good chance your friends have never been to such places.

Just north in Inuyama is Momotaro Shrine, a shrine dedicated to the folk hero. There is a museum in the precincts that has an "authentic" ogre club and even bodily remains.

Sakushima Island is good if they like art, especially if they enjoy taking pictures on/around it. Most of the art is interactive and designed for photo ops. Nothing "strange" but it's a fun place to visit with friends.

In western Gifu Prefecture, Yokokuraji Temple houses a Buddhist mummy, known as sokushinbutsu. I think it's the only one outside of Niigata and Yamagata Prefectures.

Are these the kinds of places you are looking for? Or just places that few people travel?
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread