Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Miyajima from Osaka, day trip? 2018/3/4 19:47
Is it possible to do a day trip to Miyajima from Osaka using the JR pass? Consider that some members in the party are slow movers, so being realistic we would be leaving Osaka at 10am at the earliest. We only want to see the temple and would like to be back at Osaka to have dinner There. Would we have enough time to enjoy it and take it sort of slow?
by Alonso Odria  

Re: Miyajima from Osaka, day trip? 2018/3/5 16:00
It is doable. Whether you would have enough time to make it enjoyable is up to you. From Shin-Osaka to Miyajimaguchi station takes about 2 hours so if you left at 10 you wouldnt get there till after 12. The return journey would take about the same time so that's over 4 hours on trains for a couple of hours at Miyajima. I would look for somewhere nearer Osaka to visit say Himeji, but of course you may already be planning to go there.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima from Osaka, day trip? 2018/3/5 17:47
what is the latest you could return from miyajima on the shinkansen to osaka? is it possible to have dinner in miyajima or return after sunset?
by Alonso Odria rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima from Osaka, day trip? 2018/3/5 18:27

WITH JR PASS:

21: 01: DEPART MIYAJIMAGUCHI
21: 58: DEPART HIROSHIMA
23: 32: ARRIVE SHIN-OSAKA
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima from Osaka, day trip? 2018/3/5 18:35
Note that most of the restaurants in Miyajima island close at 17:00 to 18:00. You might better eat at around JR Hiroshima station where most rastaurants open until 22:00.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima from Osaka, day trip? 2018/3/5 22:06
I thought about suggesting having dinner in Hiroshima but had to go to work (It's my lunch break now). How about stopping for dinner at Okonomiyaki mura http://www.okonomimura.jp/foreign/english.html and getting the 7:50 train back, arriving at Shin-Osaka at about 9:25

If that is too far from the station then there is also http://ekimae-hiroba.jp/about/ but I have not personally been there

My opinion is that it would be rude to go to Hiroshima and not eat Okonomiyaki (Yes I know there is Osaka style as well but Hiroshima is better)
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima from Osaka, day trip? 2018/3/6 00:33
That is a great suggestion, would definitely eat in Hiroshima if we go there!

Re: Miyajima from Osaka, day trip? 2018/3/6 10:44
Just a word of caution since you said that there are slow movers in your group.
If you are using the JR National Rail Pass, do not plan to ride on the Nozomi or Mizuho Shinkansen - not covered. You can only use these trains if you are holding the JR West Pass.
by CS Tan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima from Osaka, day trip? 2018/3/6 12:54
CS Tan - Respondents have already quoted travel times using the slower Shinakansen trains knowing the asker was using a JR pass. So arriving late to the party and dropping some well known facts about the passes doesn't really help, all it does is possibly add to more confusion.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima from Osaka, day trip? 2018/3/6 23:59
That is a great suggestion, would definitely eat in Hiroshima if we go there!

reply to this thread