Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Getting around Aomori from cruise ship 2018/3/5 00:44
We will be docked in Aomori on a Celebrity cruise ship on Saturday April 28. We would like to see Nebuta Warasse, Hakkodamaru Memorial Ship and Sannai Maruyama Site. We are four people in our 80s in reasonably good condition. What would be the best way to get around Aomori? Thank you.
by JANET SALVAGNI (guest)  

Re: Getting around Aomori from cruise ship 2018/3/5 13:14
Nebuta Warasse and Hakkodamaru are close to each other and can be enjoyed leisurely. The fish market is nearby as well. Sannai Maruyama is out of the area and best to take a taxi.

http://sannaimaruyama.pref.aomori.jp/english/site-information.html
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Getting around Aomori from cruise ship 2018/3/5 21:24
Thank you for your help. How far are these places from the cruise port? How would we get there from the ship? Thank you.
by JANET SALVAGNI (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting around Aomori from cruise ship 2018/3/6 17:48
From the website, it seems the port will be near ASPAM (the A-shaped building), so it will be a nice leisure stroll (~20 mins) either along the bay or by the city. Nebuta Warasse and Hakkodamaru are located near the bay too.

Re: Getting around Aomori from cruise ship 2018/3/6 18:57

How would we get there from the ship?

I was with Princess cruise last year and took a shuttle bus from the cruise terminal. Could not remember the fees, could be $10 for a return Journey.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting around Aomori from cruise ship 2018/3/6 23:45
Can anyone suggest any other places to visit in Aomori? If so, the best way to get there. Thanks so much.

Re: Getting around Aomori from cruise ship 2018/3/7 01:37
I've never done a cruise so I don't know how long you have at a destination, but if you have the ~1.5 hour round trip time, you can visit nearby Hirosaki which is just lovely. It's about 45 minutes from JR Aomori Station, just be careful as there is only 1 or 2 trains an hour. Some are locals and will cost you 670 yen and some are limited Expresses and are ~1200 yen without a seat reservation. You'll just need to make sure you know what train you need to take back to make it back to your cruise. When I was in Aomori I went to Towadako/Oirase Stream and Osorezan, but both are much longer trips and I would not risk it unless it is an offered excursion by Celebrity Cruise because the transport back is just not always frequent.

Enjoy!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Getting around Aomori from cruise ship 2018/3/7 10:47
Aomori is a small and quiet city. It is not touristy, so don't expect place like Tokyo or Kyoto with lively tourist spots and rich transportation. Be prepared with less to no English spoken, too.

As mentioned on above comment, Aomori as a city by itself has less to offer, although I've stayed there for 4 days and totally enjoyed the quiet stroll. The more popular destination is Hirosaki (castle). It might be too rushed to enjoy a nice stroll to both cities, depending on how much time you have and how is your travel style. I suggest to check Hyperdia and Japan Guide for both cities and see there's anything you'd like.

Re: Getting around Aomori from cruise ship 2018/3/7 18:28
Janet, since you'll be going to the Nebuta Museum, I suggest also going to A-Factory right next door. They specialize in apple-based foods and beverages, but there's lot of other tasty goodies to buy, too. If you like apple juice, they have it in just about every shade of yellow (including a red one).
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Getting around Aomori from cruise ship 2018/3/7 21:38
Thank you once again for your help. We have checked into the Hirosaki castle. If we decide to spend the day in Hirosaki rather than Aomori, what would be the easiest and best way for us to get there from the Aomori port? We really appreciate all of the information you have given us.

reply to this thread