Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel Expenses - JR Pass 2018/3/7 09:20
Hi - I am travelling with my mother and wife: Narita - Tokyo - Kamakura - Hakone - Kyoto - Ohara - Hikone - Narita.

Using the JR Pass calculator neither the 7 or 14 day JR passes seem worth it. Also when I do the maths on individual tickets / subways / region passes etc it still seems better to buy individual tickets.

Question - am I right or am I missing something?

Thank you - Reece
by rct303  

Re: Travel Expenses - JR Pass 2018/3/7 11:16
It's been recently discussed here:
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+161928

Make sure the route is covered by the pass as some buses or non-JR trains are not covered.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Travel Expenses - JR Pass 2018/3/7 17:13
Tokyo to Kyoto and back isn't enough to make a 7 day JR pass worth it.

Kyoto to Ohara is not covered. Neither is any Hakone travel from Odawara.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Travel Expenses - JR Pass 2018/3/8 05:15
Thank you - our itinerary would use non JR transport so doesn't seem worth the expense.

Question: in Tokyo what would be the most convenient pass? we are there for 3 days staying just outside Shibuya and will be doing a day trip to Kawagoe. There seems to be so many options...
by rct303 rate this post as useful

Re: Travel Expenses - JR Pass 2018/3/8 08:00
Seibu Railways offers a discount pass for 700yen. https://www.seiburailway.jp/railways/tourist/english/ticket/deals_kawa...

Enjoy Kawagoe!
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel Expenses - JR Pass 2018/3/8 08:34
Passes exist, and they are excellent if you want to travel a lot of miles, but if thatfs not your plan then they wonft work for you.
Use something like hyperdia to work out your likely costs, and then see if a pass is a good idea for you.
This is a very common query. The answer is the same in all cases.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread