Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

14/21 JR Pass - Advice Appreciated 2018/3/9 07:36
Hi all,

I will be in Japan for 17 nights later this month and was hoping for advice on whether with the below itinerary, a 14 day or 21 day JR pass would be more suitable.

I will be in Tokyo for the first few days where I will likely make a day trip (most likely Nikko) but otherwise am more likely to explore the city itself.

I was thinking of getting a 14 day JR pass and activate it on day 4 of the trip (using a Suica pass or similar for Tokyo travel at the start and end of the trip). Does this work out as more economical or should I get a 21 day and be covered for the airport travel etc? Many thanks in advance for your advice.

1. Arrive Tokyo Narita
2. Tokyo
3. Tokyo
4. Tokyo (potential daytrip - Nikko?)
5. Tokyo - Matsumoto
6. Matsumoto - Takayama
7. Takayama - Kyoto
8. Kyoto
9. Kyoto
10. Kyoto
11. Kyoto - Osaka
12. Osaka - Hiroshima
13. Hiroshima (visit Miyajima)
14. Hiroshima - Naoshima
15. Naoshima (visit Teshima)
16. Naoshima - Tokyo
17. Tokyo
18. Fly back from Tokyo Haneda
by Aysha (guest)  

Re: 14/21 JR Pass - Advice Appreciated 2018/3/9 14:34
5. Tokyo - Matsumoto
6. Matsumoto - Takayama
7. Takayama - Kyoto

I think you will do these trips with JR, but some of these part can be done by bus which might be better for some reasons. Three Star Route Shinjuku Ticket 8560 yen covers Shinjuku-Matsumoto-Takayama-Shirakawago-Kanazawa bus rides.

https://highway-buses.jp/ticket/route-shinjuku.php

Matsumoto to Takayama by JR takes more time than by bus and from Takayama to Kyoto you may want to see Shirakawago on the way which is only accessible by bus. The Three Star Ticket ends at Kanazawa from where you can take Thunderbird express 7000 yen to Kyoto.

You will need 7 day JR pass when you leave Osaka for Hiroshima. The total cost should be 8560+7000+29110=44670 yen.

by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: 14/21 JR Pass - Advice Appreciated 2018/3/9 16:02
Thank you so much for the advice regarding buses. I will definitely do one or two daytrips from Kyoto though (Nara, maybe Koya-SAN etc). Would it still make sense to get the 7 day pass starting on the Osaka-Hiroshima leg or would day trips from Kyoto add up to make a 14 day pass worth it?

Thanks again.
by Aysha (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14/21 JR Pass - Advice Appreciated 2018/3/9 16:40
Would it still make sense to get the 7 day pass starting on the Osaka-Hiroshima leg or would day trips from Kyoto add up to make a 14 day pass worth it?

I think 7 day pass is enough since Koyasan is not covered by JR and trip to Nara costs only 1500 yen. Within Kyoto you can do some JR trips, but they should be less than 500 yen per day.

If you do JR trips from Tokyo to Matsumoto, Matsumoto to Takayama and then Takayama to Kyoto, then the 14 days pass will pay off.

Re: 14/21 JR Pass - Advice Appreciated 2018/3/9 17:17
12. Osaka - Hiroshima
13. Hiroshima (visit Miyajima)
14. Hiroshima - Naoshima
15. Naoshima (visit Teshima)
16. Naoshima - Tokyo

If you can change order to Osaka-Naoshima-Hiroshima-Tokyo, buy JR normal tickets or JR Kansai Hiroshima pass (13500 yen) and fly from Hiroshima to Haneda (10800 yen) would be even cheaper.

Re: 14/21 JR Pass - Advice Appreciated 2018/3/10 00:10
Great - thank you so much - thatfs been really helpful! I wouldnft have thought of the bus route to Matsumoto.

by Aysha (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14/21 JR Pass - Advice Appreciated 2018/3/10 08:38
For that schedule I would get the 14-day pass as it covers the JR option to Nikko on day 4 and gets you back to Tokyo. You do not have to worry about side trip costs (and you can use JR part the way to Koya).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread