Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kansai Hokuriku + East Nagano Niigata Pass 2018/3/9 22:47
How to use these 2 passes sequentially ? I will fly to Osaka and exchange the Voucher for the first Pass, but I can not exchange the Voucher for the second Pass during this journey anywhere. So the sequential use of these Passes is unrealistic .. or does anyone know the solution ?
In general, this is a problem with other regional Passes. JR should think about better and easier use of their Passes in order to simplify the tourism of foreign visitors. It's just a matter of agreement between the JR directorates. Thank you.
by Jose (guest)  

Re: JR KansaiHokuriku+JR East NaganoNiigata Pass 2018/3/10 11:59
JR East and JR West are not "directorates"; they are completely separate and independent companies, which only occasionally collaborate on some specific projects. The rail passes you mention are not among them.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR KansaiHokuriku+JR East NaganoNiigata Pass 2018/3/10 14:58
The only place those two passes overlap is in Joetsu, which is not a huge tourist destination. Assuming you are coming that way, the closest place to exchange a pass would be Nagano. You would likely have to cover that small segment separately to get to Nagano to exchange your pass voucher. You'll have to calculate the value of the pass based on that.

The Hokuriku Arch pass may be a better value in that case, depending on days and other destinations intended. http://hokuriku-arch-pass.com/en/

by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR KansaiHokuriku+JR East NaganoNiigata Pass 2018/3/10 17:08
I have been traveling to Japan for 28 years, and unfortunately, holes and imperfections sometimes appear in the usually perfect Japanese system. This is one of them. JR East and JR West could work better (JR West is, in my opinion and experience, the best of those five JR companies). The Hokuriku Arch Pass is not better value because it's just an expensive Pass between Osaka and Tokyo - it's mostly better to buy Japan Railpass. Using JR Kansai Hokuriku Area Pass + JR East Nagano Niigata Area Pass, a very efficient transport coverage is achieved in the most important areas of Japan. But there is the hole between Kanazawa and Nagano. Why the Voucher could not be exchanged in Kanazawa (sometimes this is possible in the case of other Passes). JR Central could also improve travel in the area between Osaka and Tokyo, but it is the least active of all five companies (recently released only a few local single-purpose Passes, which are mostly unsuitable because their combination is more expensive than Japan Railpass. JR companies should think about better cooperation - especially at the time when the Olympic Games are being prepared.
by Jose (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR KansaiHokuriku+JR East NaganoNiigata Pass 2018/3/10 17:27
Now you are just blowing smoke. Nobody cares how long you have been traveling to Japan, and by the way, there are six "JR" passenger rail companies, not five.

Re: JR KansaiHokuriku+JR East NaganoNiigata Pass 2018/3/10 17:32
Regional passes are designed to cater for those entering the country inside the passes validity area. Not designed to come in from outside that area.

If you want a passes that covers half the nation, then get the nationwide passes.

I can understand your frustration that these passes wont work for your situation. But they cannot cater for 100% of travelers situations, especially when they are as unique as yours.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: JR KansaiHokuriku+JR East NaganoNiigata Pass 2018/3/10 17:33
Yes some things do not match perfectly or as we would like. I suggest you address your complaints to the various JR companies. Otherwise you are just ranting at random people on the internet.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: JR KansaiHokuriku+JR East NaganoNiigata Pass 2018/3/10 17:53
Ehhhhhh, for the wise Firas - yes, it is still not much used JR Shikoku sixth company. Otherwise for accuracy - The group consists of seven operating companies and two other companies that do not provide rail service.
by Jose (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR KansaiHokuriku+JR East NaganoNiigata Pass 2018/3/10 18:27
Yes there are 9 in total.

Firas was accurate when stating there were 6 "passenger" JR companies.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: JR KansaiHokuriku+JR East NaganoNiigata Pass 2018/3/10 18:59
Yes, then there is the nationwide freight rail company, then the bus companies, the Miyajima ferry company, then the JR hotels, hospitals, department stores, and God knows what else...

At the end of the day, it still seems you only came here to rant. As someone else noted, if you have a complaint, you can direct it to the relevant companies.

reply to this thread