Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/13 03:05
Hi Everybody,
Making our first trip to Japan at the end of March.
We're arriving on Saturday at 3:30pm on March 30th and trying to plan out the subway travel on hyperdia.
I was just wondering how long it normally takes to get out of customs and gather luggage out of Terminal 1, with ANA.
I'm planning for 2hours for everything? Does that sound right?
Thanks!
by bsk997 (guest)  

Re: Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/13 10:16
I canft say how long a first-timer would take, since Ifm familiar with the terminal and procedures. On a normal day, it takes me no more than 30 minutes to deplane and pass customs. I would estimate about an hour for novices, but I wouldnft worry about train departures until youfve cleared customs and go to the basement of the terminal.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/13 15:24

I'm planning for 2hours for everything? Does that sound right?
Yes, allowing 2hrs sounds reasonable. However, be prepared for any "unexpected"; once it took me more than 2 hours due to unexpected long queue.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/13 16:07
As others have said 2Hrs sounds plenty. I wouldnt worry too much about transport as the train/subway runs frequent services and you are not arriving late in the evening.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/14 00:42
Thanks for the information guys.
I just wanted to plan out routes for the train.
The schedule and whole subway system looks very daunting. lol
by bsk997 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/14 03:14
No worries, it isnt really that confusing. However I will never forget my first visit over a decade ago when I got through arrivals, looked at all the signs & thought "what the hell am I doing here" and took 20 minutes to find the station. It was just down some stairs :)

Re: Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/17 07:14
I'm having troubles reading hyperdia and trying to see if it'll be worth it go get a 7 JR Pass or not. I can't tell how everything is priced out.
Here's our trip from Narita to Osaka
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=NARITA%20AIRPORT%2...

I'll probably do Routes 3, or 4 since they have the least transfers and cost a bit cheaper. Lessens our chances of getting lost. :) Please tell me if other routes are better.
Looking at Route 3, it looks like Narita Express is 1900yen. Then the Sinkansen Nozomi 253 is 4870yen for unreserved.
Then the other 2 look like local Osaka City Subway at 280yen.
Total for JR from the first 2 lines are 6770yen which is only about $64 dollars.

Return route from Osaka to Hilton in Tokyo bay.
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=NIPPOMBASHI&arv_no...

It looks like it'll be about the same pricing if we go with Route 2.

So it looks like a total of about $130 total RT.
The rest of our time we'll be in the Tokyo area so we won't be use JR that much.
So it looks like it doesn't make sense to get the pass right?

If I get a Passmo card, can I use those for the Narita Express and the Shinkansen Nozomi?
Traveling on March 31st and April 2nd around 4-5pm'ish. Should we get the "Reserved" seats?

Thanks guys!

Re: Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/17 07:31
I once had a 2 hour queue, but that was at Kansai Airport (KIX). I should hope Narita Airport (NRT) is a bit more efficient. Either way, the Japanese seem to love queueing ;)
I've never arrived in Japan via Haneda Airport (HND) - I've only ever used HND for domestic flights - so I can't say much about that one.

Normally the queue is about half an hour. Take another 30 minutes for deboarding and find your luggage at the carousel. Then, you probably need to find the train station, and possibly buy tickets, arrange a Suica Pass, and/or exchange your Japan Rail Pass.

Two hours seems reasonable, but as said, don't plan too tightly.
If you have spare time, you can always have a bite somewhere. It's better than having to hurry.
by thany rate this post as useful

Re: Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/17 07:37
Youfre Nozomi fare is actually 14,650 Yen.

Re: Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/17 07:44
Itfs your, not gyoufreh ( I dislike tablets!). You were only looking at the cost for what Hyperdia considers gseat feeh. You failed to take into account the base fare of the trip from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka, which is 8750 yen

Re: Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/17 08:37
Looking at Route 3, it looks like Narita Express is 1900yen. Then the Sinkansen Nozomi 253 is 4870yen for unreserved.
As John says, you are not looking at the "total". the "seat fee" is not optional.
N'Ex is ~Y3000, but Narita Airport to Shin-Osaka is Y17,000 or closer to Y16,000 with unreserved seating.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/17 13:40
Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, I forgot to take in the base fee and was only looking at the seat fee.
Looks like a JR Pass will be about $30 cheaper overall for the round trip.

Are those "high times" and should I reserve seats. It'll be me, wife and 2 kids(9&10).

Re: Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/17 14:19
Reserving seats would guarantee a better chance of sitting together.

Re: Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/17 16:34
I generally book seats anyway as it's free with a JRP and takes very little time. It guarantees that you can get 4 seats next to each other. One nice feature is that you can rotate the seats so you can face each other. (not my video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr3OTCivaYQ

Re: Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/18 13:01
Agreed. Definitely make reservations for any train that has reservable seats.
It might seem like hogging, but it's not. It's totally fine. It's much worse if you can't make it to your reserved train and then fail to cancel your reservation.

If reservations are no longer available, just be at the platform at least 30 minutes early, be at the starting point for that particular train line preferrably, go stand at an unreserved door location (it'll make some sense when you get there), and don't leave that spot. You can then be the first to board the train and grab 4 seats. It might seem a bit unholy to be that way, but it's a stragey Japanese people take on as well.
by thany rate this post as useful

Re: Time to get out of customs and baggage claim 2018/3/20 00:12
Thanks for the help everybody!
I'll order the JR Passes today.

I'll definitely reserve seats since I hate having to search and worry about not being able to sit together.
Thanks for the video on the swiveling chair. I've seen it on one of the tokyo videos before. I'm sure the kids will like that.
Thanks

reply to this thread