Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Left bag in an Osaka taxi 2018/3/13 10:33
Hi, I just arrived in Osaka last night. Travelled from Kyoto via the Shinkansen. I reached Osaka station and caught a cab to my hotel, the dotonbori hotel. I was so tired and accidentally left my suitcase in the taxi boot. Realized it about 2 min later and went back to try find the taxi but the taxi was gone. I canft remember what the taxi company was because I was exhausted and it was 11pm at night. I have made a police report at the nearby police post. Besides this, is there any way that I can get my luggage back? Is the chances of my luggage coming back very good? There are some very valuable things in the bag, such as my laptop with all of my work and photos etc and all my clothes and toiletries. I leave Japan on Thursday 15 March to head home. Please help urgently!!!! What do you advice?
by Pikachugirl  

Re: Left bag in an Osaka taxi 2018/3/13 16:54
Youfve already asked the hotel staff for help, right?
If you remember what color of the car or anything, tell them and they should be able to guess and call the taxi companies.
In your case, asking the hotel staff for help is the best and only wayc
Good luck!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Left bag in an Osaka taxi 2018/3/13 17:57
Did you report your lost correctly ?
Shinkansen never stops at Osaka station. it should be Shin-Osaka station.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Left bag in an Osaka taxi 2018/3/13 18:23
You had better look for a way to be in Japan longer, hopefully for at least 2 more days.
If you don't speak Japanese well, it is preferable that a reliable native Japanese speaker can help you.

Travelled from Kyoto via the Shinkansen. I reached Osaka station and caught a cab to my hotel

Was that station really not Shin-Osaka Station but Osaka Station?
(Shinkansen goes not via Osaka Station.)

Haven't you got anything such as a receipt which shows the name (and phone number) of the taxi operator?

Osaka Taxi Center can inform taxi operators who have offices in a specific zone including Osaka City about articles left in their taxi cars.
Your phone number is necessary for this foundation to contact you about your lost property.

(Public interest incorporated foundation) Osaka Taxi Center
- Web form in Japanese for notification of lost articles
@http://www.osaka-tc.or.jp/inqlost.php
- Phone numbers for notification of lost articles, complaints
@06-6933-5618, -5619 (#)
@http://www.osaka-tc.or.jp/pdf/receipttel.pdf
@: The phone staff is ready from 9 to 17 on weekdays and from 9 to 12 on Saturdays.
@: The 21st of March 2018 will be a public holiday in Japan, not a weekday.

I have made a police report at the nearby police post.

It may take a few days from when the police receives submitted lost property until the police disclose on the website the information about it.

I suppose you know one or a few facts regarding your lost property which other people either cannot know or probably don't know (such as how to log in the system of your laptop computer when it is locked).
Keep such facts hidden so that the police or the operator of your taxi can believe you as the person who actually left the articles.

Osaka Prefectural Police
- Website in Japanese for search for lost articles
http://www.otoshimono.police.pref.osaka.jp/

(#) To make an international phone call at the number, you omit the first 0 and add Japan's country code 81.

Japan Guide
- How to dial
@https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2223_how.html
@: See "From Abroad to Japan" section.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Left bag in an Osaka taxi 2018/3/13 19:17
Thanks for all the comments.

The only thing I remember about the cab is that it was a black color taxi, and the driver was a thin, elderly man who smokes. Unfortunately I donft remember the taxi company and the driver did not issue me a receipt.

Yes Ifve asked the hotel staff for help already and they have already called the four big taxi companies to send out a message to their drivers regarding the lost luggage. Does the Osaka Taxi centre cover all of the taxis that were in the area at the time? Would it be of help if I ask the hotel to call them tomorrow?

Unfortunately my flight home has already been booked and I donft know if it is possible that I can change the date.

Do you think that the chances of my luggage turning up is very high at this stage? Itfs really valuable to me. Itfs been a day already and therefs still been no news. Getting really depressed now and I really donft have any belongings other than my small handbag.
by Pikachugirl rate this post as useful

Re: Left bag in an Osaka taxi 2018/3/13 20:30
Don't have a receipt from the taxi that dropped you? It usually has the taxi company name and the taxi ID. If it's in Japanese, get one of the hotel staff to help you translate it.
by ----- (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Left bag in an Osaka taxi 2018/3/13 21:03
Unfortunately the driver didnft issue me a receipt. Ifve checked all my receipts and there isnft one from this trip. Really at a loss now.

Re: Left bag in an Osaka taxi 2018/3/13 21:11
My lugggage has my name and my overseas phone number pasted as a sticker on the outside. If the driver hasnft given my luggage to the police or something by now, is there still hope? Sigh.

Re: Left bag in an Osaka taxi 2018/3/13 21:14
In my limited experience recovering lost property for guests (actually my staff have done this - so it's 2nd hand):
The taxi companies and JR send left items to some kind of central spot if they cannot return them to the owner. (certainly the case in Tokyo) They may have one in Osaka - kind of a clearing-house. If you have done your police report it might show up in a few days (2-3). Having a helpful Japanese speaker is very handy in cases like this, but sounds like you have done your police report and not much more to do beyond that.

https://www.police.pref.osaka.jp/17language/english/01sogo/madoguchi/0...
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Correction 2018/3/14 17:18
Let me delete the section for the web form of Osaka Taxi Center in my previous response.
This web form is not recommendable,
because your personal data are sent not by HTTPS but by HTTP without SSL/TLS.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Left bag in an Osaka taxi 2018/3/15 08:18
I asked the hotel to call the Osaka taxi Centre.

Ifm leaving for home today but therefs still no news on the luggage. So depressed. Hopefully something will turn up really soon.

What are the chances at this stage that I will see all my stuff again?

If it does somehow turn up in the next few days, how can I get the luggage shipped back home?

Re: Left bag in an Osaka taxi 2018/3/15 11:00
Hello all. Is it possible to try and persuade the police to check if there was a cctv around and if so, have a look at the footage for more info on the taxi concerned? Would they usually do that?

Re: Left bag in an Osaka taxi 2018/3/15 14:53
No. They won't do it.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Left bag in an Osaka taxi 2018/3/15 21:44
By the way, is there a way that I can get hold of a list of either the phone numbers or email address of every single taxi company in Osaka? Ifve been told there are more than 300 and I can only find the contact details of the 4 main ones.
If anyone could provide such a list, that would be really great help. Thanks.

reply to this thread