Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Narai 2018/3/15 01:52
Hi,

We are planning to stay one night in Narai, one night in Tsumago.

We are currently booked at minshuku near Narai station. Is Narai easily walkable? How many minutes, leisurely walk from North to south end?

Anyone do the Kiso-torii hike? Is it similar to Kumono Kodo Nakahechi? Looks steep and read somewhere it is the most difficult portion of Nakasendo.

Is there a link for bus service in area?

Thanks, PH
by papayahead  

Re: Narai 2018/3/15 16:15
Hi there

Is Narai easily walkable? How many minutes, leisurely walk from North to south end?

Yes, very walkable. It's basically one straight street about a kilometre long. But there are lots of shops, cafes etc to stop and look at. So how long depends on how often times you stop along the way.

Anyone do the Kiso-torii hike? Is it similar to Kumono Kodo Nakahechi? Looks steep and read somewhere it is the most difficult portion of Nakasendo.

Do you mean the hike over the Torii Pass from Narai to Yabuhara? I have done it, but I have not done the Kumano Kodo so I cannot compare the two. The Torii Pass hike goes over the pass, so it's hard going up and easy going down! The scenery is pleasant enough (from memory, it's mostly on a hiking track, away from any roads), but I walked it during the autumn and could enjoy the autumn colours. I would not say it was the hardest part of the Nakasendo (again from memory, Wada Pass and Usui Pass were tougher), but it is rather steep.

Can't answer that. But you can catch train from Yabuhara to Nagiso and get a bus (or hike) from there to Tsumago.
by Walkingfool rate this post as useful

Re: Narai 2018/3/15 16:24
Forgot to say, it's about 6 km from Narai to Yabuhara. It took me just over 2 hours to walk.
by Walkingfool rate this post as useful

Re: Narai 2018/3/15 18:31

Where exactly do you want to go? Here's a link to a map showing bus stops nearby:

https://mb.jorudan.co.jp/os/bus/2059/line/27482.html

Narai train station is #2. The bus stop at the south end of Narai is #3 on the map.
by Shinshu Resident (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Narai 2018/3/15 18:36
by Shinshu Resident (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Narai 2018/3/16 02:24
Walkingfool and Shinshu,

Thank you, exact information I was seeking!

PH
by papayahead rate this post as useful

Re: Narai 2018/3/22 15:43
Shinshu-

Ha, ha, thank you for link to map and timetable....I cannot read Japanese! :) Also, love local buses, but, we always get lost, which leads to delightful extra tour of area :) So we really need to be sure of correct stop.

Is there a bus between Narai and Yabuhara? We will arrive in Narai from Matsumoto.

Thank you, PH

Re: Narai 2018/3/22 18:34
Sorry. I'm not aware of a bus that runs that exact route.

There's the train. It costs only 200 yen and takes just 6 minutes.
Some afternoon/evening times:
Narai 15:19 - Yabuhara 15:24
Narai 16:29 - Yabuhara 16:35
Narai 17:29 - Yabuhara 17:35
Narai 19:13 - Yabuhara 19:19

It's only about 6 km., so in a pinch, call a cab, especially if you have a small group of say 3 or 4.
by Shinshu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Narai 2018/3/23 05:38
Thank you!!

reply to this thread