Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/15 10:30
Hey there,

5 years ago I was denied entry into New Zealand, as 5 years before that I was deported from China for visa overstay.

I've been trying to get an answer as to how this will affect my ability to enter Japan as a tourist. I'm a 30-year-old Australian male, with passports for Australia and Great Britan (dual citizenship), with a full itinerary booked out down to every hotel for every evening with the holiday taking up 15 days total.

I've visited my local Japanese consoulate, who said that they could not give me an answer, and that I'd have a more luck talking to the Immigration Information Centre in Tokyo, who I called today and they said they could not give me any solid information, and that my best course of action would be to just turn up and see if I'm let in.

Does anyone here know of any other channels I could get some information from? I don't want another holiday ruined by the follies of my youth.

Thanks in advance,
-Caleb
by Caleb (guest)  

Re: Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/15 14:52
Does anyone here know of any other channels I could get some information from?

No. The only ones who know are the Immigration Bureau, and as you have seen, they are not telling.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/15 15:09
If you have a passport with a stamp labeled "deported" you may have trouble everywhere, not just in Japan or NZ. BTW how did NZ knew you were deported from China ? Is it a stamp or NZ and OZ share some kind of database about immigration stuff ?

If you have a stamp "deported" get rid of your passport, report it as lost and get a brand new one, it costs money but it help avoid suspicion at immigration all over the world.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/15 15:24
Thanks for responding,

My Australian passport isn't stamped deported but has a Chinese exit visa in it with the remark "Requested to leave China in 10 days" my UK passport is brand new and unstamped.

When entering New Zealand the entrance questionnaire had a box on it asking if I had ever been barred from entering or removed from a country, which I ticked yes on. They asked for a chat and denied me entry. I don't think theirs a shared Oceania database. The Australian border security guys were shocked when I told them the story.
by Caleb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/15 15:32
I would have been shocked also that you were refused enter. But you didn't tell us why you overstayed and what you said to NZ officials. So there might have been a valid reason.

But I would do as others have suggested and get a new black passport. And start fresh.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/15 15:52
It was overstay primarily due to my passport being stolen while living in China for work. From my discussion with their border security there is just a blanket baring of anyone who has been deported from a country unless you have a compelling reason, or prior approval. I was told that if I hadn't said anything in the arrival form it'd not have been an issue.

Re: Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/15 15:52
Getting a new passport doesn't change the fact that you must answer "yes" to the question of whether you have ever been refused entry to a country.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/15 15:56
Which is my concern, I was hoping for a way to guarantee my entry, or be confident in refusal before departing for Japan and potentially wasting a lot of money.

Re: Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/15 18:44
I don`t believe that Japan has a similar question.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/15 20:05
Google and look at the "disembarkation card" that you need to fill out when arriving.
by (^_^) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/15 21:22
Japan has shared information about entry refusal with some countries.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/16 06:45
@Paul.

It is question 1 on the back of the disembarkation card entering Japan.

Re: Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/16 06:58
@hakata: Question 1 is about have you ever been deported from JAPAN. This is not the case, so the PP can tick NO.
A different problem would be if the PP got ever convicted for any crime, including outside of Japan, but that does not seem to be the case.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/16 12:11
haha
Thanks for the correction. Cannot say I've read it properly each time I have filled it out. Cos it is always no in my case.

But yes for the OPs case, no to that question seems fine to use.

Re: Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/17 17:18
Thanks for all the info guys, and a good idea to look up the disembarkation card. Looks like I will be in the clear for what's listed there.

Re: Legal Concerns About Entering Japan 2018/3/22 08:58
Just in case, it might be a good idea to bring as much written information as possible, about your bad luck in China. For example, the police report from when you reported your passport as stolen. Just in case they magically do know these facts about you, and don't know your backstory. If you get questioned, you can show them how it wasn't your fault, and explain how you did everything you think was possible to follow their rules, and all that. And stay polite of course.

Just in case, you know?
by thany rate this post as useful

reply to this thread