Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question about spouse visa 2018/3/18 17:46
Good day,

I'm quite confused with what step should I do next to get my partner's spouse visa, I'm a japan national, and my wife is from Philippines, we are legally married here in japan and she's already been registered to my kosekitohon. But we haven't reported our marriage in Philippine embassy because she's working in ph and needed to go back to her country.

Next step should be applying her spouse visa to immigration, but the requirements i'm seeing everywhere is the certification of marriage from her country which is the ph.
Can't we use the marriage certificate issued here in japan rather than from her country?

p.s sorry for my english im not good with this language
by yuta (guest)  

Re: Question about spouse visa 2018/3/19 12:12
You got married in Japan, right?

You might want to call up Immigration office to make sure. You don't have to mention your name or your wife's name, just mention nationality and ask.

As far as we've experienced (me = Japanese, my husband = continental European, got married in the UK), we took our UK marriage certificate to the city hall in Japan to report it, so that our marriage is in my "koseki."

When we applied for a change of resident status to "spouse of Japanese national," a copy of my "koseki" was all I needed to prove our marriage to immigration.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Question about spouse visa 2018/3/19 15:01
Unfortunately if her country record marriages, then you also need the marriage certificate from there. You can try two things:

1) Ask her Embassy in Japan if someone else can delivery to them the docs for the transcription. In my case (Italy) my embassy was fine with my Japanese spouse to delivery the docs or even to mail them, as long as all docs were there. I think her embassy will issue right away a doc stating you are registering the marriage in the Philippine, and that doc is enough as prove (alternatively just wait for the actual registration, but that may take some time).

2) Your spouse can ask the city hall where she lives if she can register directly the marriage, bypassing the embassy.
by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread