Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Snowy day in Tottori 2018/3/21 09:04
Hello all,
I am going to Tottori tomorrow for 2 days and 1 night. It's forecast to be windy and cloudy in the daytime and snow at night. I'm also not sure if there'll be a chance of rain. I was supposed to go paragliding but according to the company it will most likely be cancelled due to bad weather.
1) Will it be a bad idea to visit the sand dunes under such weather conditions?
2) What else can I do while I'm there?
I'm going by train so I don't have a car.
Thank you!
by kiraning (guest)  

Re: Snowy day in Tottori 2018/3/21 13:00
I don't know where you're at right now, but I hope you're not stuck in snow here in Greater Tokyo. But there's still a lot you can enjoy in snow.

First of all, it's a good idea that you're traveling by train, because driving in snow is very risky. Try to arrive during the day so that you can get info at the tourist information counter in the middle of Tottori Station. Train station staff can also provide information for tourists when they're not too busy. Needless to say, hotels/hostels are one of the best places to obtain tourist info too.

An article tells us that the sand dune in snow is not bad at all. In fact, I was there (decades ago) in the middle of winter, and it was quite surreal with very few people in sight.
https://matome.naver.jp/odai/2144585871733217201

I'm sure you've also done your homework checking tourist info websites. You can enjoy museums, food, and locals may typically enjoy onsen in snow.
https://www.tottori-tour.jp/en/sightseeing/

Tottori is accustomed to snow, so I'm sure it won't affect public transportation. Or you can always use taxis. You can even hire one to take you around major places, and typically it costs like 10000 yen for a quick tour. Ask for prices before hiring one.

Hope you have fun, and stay warm :)
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Snowy day in Tottori 2018/3/21 18:21
Tottori has one the best old fashioned bath houses i ever experienced in japan. No fancy stuff, nothing beautiful, only locals, but just really great (extreme hot) water. might be good for cold days....

For example this:
http://www.trnad.com/east/hinomaru.html
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Snowy day in Tottori 2018/3/21 20:37
@Uco Thank you so much for your detailed reply. It's a relief to know that it will still be alright to visit the sand dunes. It would've been quite the disappointment otherwise. Other than some city sights I think I will try to catch the sightseeing boat around Uradome Coast. Thanks also for the transportation tip. It sounds like just the perfect way to get around in bad weather.

@glimpigumpi Thank you for your recommendation. That's something we've not tried as yet and seems like a great thing to do in the cold. Will check it out!
by kiraning (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Snowy day in Tottori 2018/3/22 04:31
btw, this bath house has open until very late (i think even midnight), so you can do it - like i did it - after dinner to relax before sleeping... if possible take shampoo with you, cause otherwise you got to buy it there (for an extremely cheap price though) - in comparison to most onsen in japan it is not provided there
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread