Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tax Refund query 2018/3/21 19:39
Ok so I received my Notice of Lump Sum Withdrawal Payments (Žx‹‹Œˆ’θ’Κ’m‘) and money in my bank account a few days ago so now all I have to do is get the 20% back that was withheld as tax.

I initially got my ex wife to act on my behalf since I thought I wouldn't be in Japan at the time but I will be back in June to visit friends and enjoy the start of a sweaty humid summer...NOT lol

Anyway, I was wondering if I could go to the tax office where I lived before and file the tax return myself with the help of a Japanese friend. I didn't close my bank account when I left so I was wondering if I could use that to put the money in.

If not then maybe have it put in my friends bank account.

It's not that I don't trust my ex wife, it's just that I would rather do it myself if I'm going there in exactly three months (if it is still possible to do in three months time that is)

What do you think? is this possible?

your relevant answers are appreciated.

Ta,

Ahox2man :)
by ahoahoman (guest)  

Re: Tax Refund query 2018/3/22 10:23
I'm stumped on this myself. Any takers?
by Metoo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tax Refund query 2018/3/27 10:39
Answer to your question is YES IS POSSIBLE.

just gather all the documents required .

by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: Tax Refund query 2018/3/27 10:41
Youfve been through this or you know someone who has?
by Hmmm (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tax Refund query 2018/3/27 13:25
yes i have do it every year.
just go to city offic or fax office .. tell them you want to file for kakuteshinkoku (Tax declaration). they will direct you the office responsible for that.
usually is done feb15 -march 16 . but you can still do it any time. even 3years ago tax.

if your friend or 3rd party will receive money for you . need an authorization letter or power of attorney.
by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: Tax Refund query 2018/3/27 14:37
just go to city offic or fax office

I think she meant "tax office". And it's too late to do it at a city hall, by the way.

I also wonder if your Japanese friend is used to this procedure. Depending on the contents, it can be a hassle and require a couple of days since you tend to make mistakes. It's also possible to do it on-line (in Japanese).
https://www.nta.go.jp/tetsuzuki/shinkoku/shotoku/kakutei.htm

Note that you can have your tax refund sent to your bank account.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tax Refund query 2018/3/27 15:20
the OP has received the money in 1018. the tax filing should be done in 2019.
after January 4, 2019, you can access a new (2018-tax-year) form in the above website.
do not lose Žx‹‹Œˆ’θ’Κ’m‘.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tax Refund query 2018/3/27 15:34
Ummm canft you do this tax refund on your lump sum pension withdrawal anytime of the year? Ifve had friends who left Japan and had their friend living in Japan do it for them at different times of the year. Yes AFTER tax time.
by Yaya (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tax Refund query 2018/3/27 15:50
Oh, I guess I had it mixed up with Žx•₯’²‘ which is the notice you get about the payment you received in the previous year (2017). Sorry for the confusion.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread