Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kagoshima or Kumamoto Jan 2019? 2018/3/23 12:45
Hi All,

At present I've booked a flight to Fukuoka in Jan 2019 for around 13 nights. Something that I like to do is explore prefectures in detail and get a bit off the beaten track.

As I hate hot weather and there seems to be more to do in Kumamoto, which do you think is the best option?

(1) 3 nights Yakushima and the rest around Kumamoto with a car.

(2) The whole time in Kagoshima, with 4 nights shared between Yakushima and Tanegashima?

I've already visited Amami Oshima so don't need to visit there. I also don't want to drive in snow, with the Kuju Mountains and Mt Aso being the only locations which might have snow. Any advice on the amount of snow in these locations in Dec/Jan would be much appreciated. I'm aware that this is also early in the snow season, specifically so south.....

by mfedley  

Re: Kagoshima or Kumamoto Jan 2019? 2018/3/23 16:30
I can't speak for Kumamoto but I was very surprised how much there was to see in & around Kagoshima so personally I would go for your second option. I enjoyed:

Shiroyama Park Observation platform (& not just because Sakurajima erupted when I was there)
Sengan-en
The harbour area
Chiran Peace museum for kamikaze pilots
Mount Kaimondake & Nishi - Oyama station
Lake Ikeda.

There is so much I didn't have time for especially all the Meiji restoration history. I also wanted to visit the Jomon site at Uenohara. I will have to do that next time. I also want to do the Tour de Minamisatsuma bicycle event one year.

by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Kagoshima or Kumamoto Jan 2019? 2018/3/23 17:40
One day to explore Kumamoto prefecture's surrounds isn't enough. So I'd just use that day for Kagoshima.

Come back and do central Kyushu when the snow is gone.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kagoshima or Kumamoto Jan 2019? 2018/3/23 18:18
Hi Hakata,

I'm in one of these prefectures for 13 nights - with a few days in Yakushima included. As such, I'll be in Kagoshima (Kyushu) for 9 nights or Kumamoto (Kyushu) for 10 nights in total....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread