Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Future Immigrant - A Bizarre Naming Issue 2018/3/26 14:32
My brain has nearly exploded trying to come up with answers.

Allow me to give a brief explanation. I am planning to earn citizenship in Japan, and I don't plan on keeping my birth name when I go to fill out the official documents. It might sound a bit sad, but my alias has more sentiment to me than my actual name... I've met the most important people in my life through this name, and most people know me by this name anyway.

With that being said, I'm not sure how I should go about converting my alias/future name into Japanese...
As an artist, I have always valued the hidden meanings within everything. So, right away I thought "I must use Š¿Žš!" But then the anxiety set in, along with a million questions. Will this be too hard to read? Is it too ‚«‚ç‚«‚ç? Does it possibly have inappropriate connotations? Which is why I am writing here today. Who better to help me than actual Japanese?

I think I've made good progress, but I can't be sure. The English spelling of my alias is Kessarah. When converting it phonetically into Japanese, it sounds like ‚¯‚¹‚¢‚ç or ƒPƒZ[ƒ‰.
I've spent a couple nights trying to put together the right Š¿Žš y‚Í‚¢AŽ„‚ÌŒŒ‰tŒ^‚ÍA‚Å‚·BBBz, and this is what I came up with: Ÿ†´—–
(All three Š¿Žš use ‰¹“Ç‚Ý)

So what do you guys think? I would very much appreciate your honest opinions on this, even if they are negative. Don't worry, I will not be offended.
by Kessarah (guest)  

Re: Future Immigrant - A Bizarre Naming Issue 2018/3/26 20:55
When you say you are "planning to earn citizenship", do you mean you are applying to become a Japanese national? Are you qualified? If so, I find it hard to understand why you're asking those questions. You are supposed to have many Japanese friends in Japan who could give you personal advice.

If not, it's too early for you to be thinking about names, and therefore there is no need for your mind to explode. Either way, if I were you I would think of something that suits better when combined with your family name (which you also need to be officially registered, whatever you're trying to do).
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Future Immigrant - A Bizarre Naming Issue 2018/3/27 08:53
I guess you will not pass if you can not prepare well by yourself
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Future Immigrant - A Bizarre Naming Issue 2018/3/27 09:04
never explode or stress yourself because of this minor issue.

just go to book store buy a book that contain list of japanese names then you can chose best kanji that have sound related to your name. or get japanese person to help you read them.

even in 100yen shop .. you can see the stamp roller that contain different types of kanji for stamps. you can also check kanji related to your surname.
by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: Future Immigrant - A Bizarre Naming Issue 2018/3/27 09:29
You can't use ٠ in a name.
http://www.moj.go.jp/MINJI/minji86.html
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Future Immigrant - A Bizarre Naming Issue 2018/3/27 09:30
@Uco
I didn't know she isn't qualified if she has no close Japanese friends to advise her. You shouldn't judge someone in that way.

Re: Future Immigrant - A Bizarre Naming Issue 2018/3/27 10:15
@ guest.

The original asker did suggest honest feedback was welcome, even if negative. So the "judging" as you put it is welcome.

And I would agree with Uco. Asking a English question forums about your Japanese naming questions when you stay you will be applying for citizenship doesn't make sense.

As to become a citizen (in that sense of the word), you'd be in the country for a long period of time and should have made enough friends had have would have the correct language skills, that a English question forum wouldn't be needed at all.

Hence the suggestion by Uco to go backwards a few steps and try again.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Future Immigrant - A Bizarre Naming Issue 2018/3/27 11:03
@hakata14
As to become a citizen (in that sense of the word), you'd be in the country for a long period of time and should have made enough friends

I said this is quite a self-righteous assumption. Even a native Japanese who was born and raised here happen not to have close friends for many possible reasons.
If the number of friends isn't included in the official condition of qualification for naturalization, it's just a fixed idea about someone's life and personality, which is avoided for sure.

Re: Future Immigrant - A Bizarre Naming Issue 2018/3/27 11:04
* which should be avoided

Re: Future Immigrant - A Bizarre Naming Issue 2018/3/27 11:18
Yes it is an assumption, agreed.

Self-righteous it is not.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Future Immigrant - A Bizarre Naming Issue 2018/3/27 11:25
@hakata14
I see you don't have enough Japanese language ability to evaluate her level from her post. (I'm a native Japanese and apparently, she's got to the level required to be qualified for naturalization, at a level of native 7-8 y.o.
The way one lives with/without friends and if she asks this kind stuff to her friends totally depends on the individual. If you step into this area (again, unless the number of friends is not one of the conditions), it can be called lŠiUŒ‚.

Re: Future Immigrant - A Bizarre Naming Issue 2018/3/27 14:15
I'm sorry if I had been misleading or had offended anyone in any way. What I meant was this: For a non-Japanese person to obtain Japanese nationality, it will be a huge plus if the person is obviously adapted/contributing to the Japanese society. In short, the person is pretty much expected to have friends in the local community that can exchange information and advice, to say the least. I hope this clarifies my intention. By the way, I mentioned nothing about "close" Japanese friends. In Japan, you don't have to be close to get advice about your name from someone.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say to the OP is, "Turn to your real-life friends in Japan instead of asking the Forum. That will get you closer to your obtaining Japanese nationality, if that is what you want to obtain. And if that is not what you want to obtain, then you don't need to have your mind exploded."
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Future Immigrant - A Bizarre Naming Issue 2018/3/27 15:44
What name you will use, is only asked in the last interview/submission of the completed forms - so you have lots of time to decide on a name. I believe it took me more than six months to obtain all documentation, complete the forms, and finish the interview process.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Future Immigrant - A Bizarre Naming Issue 2018/3/27 18:14
Calm down people. The OP isn't even in Japan yet. He's just day dreaming.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread