Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Luggage storage Naha 2018/3/28 20:08
Hi,
I will be leaving Naha on a flight departing 18.00 but I wanted to do some sightseeing on the daytime.

However, I carry a suitcase that is best not carry around in the sightseeing spots.

Is there anywhere to put a medium sized suitcase? The airport maybe?
by Non (guest)  

Re: Luggage storage Naha 2018/3/29 07:29
No worry. There are coin lockers and baggage storage.

http://www.naha-airport.co.jp/en/facility/service.html

They are on the 1st floor.

http://www.naha-airport.co.jp/en/facility/floor_guide_1f.html
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage Naha 2018/3/29 08:34
Thank you frog,
Just a bit curious but... how big are these lockers? I don't got the exact size in my head but I think it is about 60-65 cm high and 40 cm wide and perhaps 20-30 cm thick. I know this is way over standard travel bags in Japan considering lockers and so on...
by Non (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage Naha 2018/3/29 08:37
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage Naha 2018/3/29 09:14
I don't got the exact size in my head but I think it is about 60-65 cm high and 40 cm wide and perhaps 20-30 cm thick. I know this is way over standard travel bags in Japan considering lockers and so on...

No worry. There is a manned baggage storage.

http://www.naha-airport.co.jp/facility/service_detail/service_08.html

According to this site,

http://www.tabirai.net/sightseeing/okinawa/info/terminal/naha-airport....

The fare for a suitcase is 463 yen (maybe not include tax, so it might be around 500 yen0.

Re: Luggage storage Naha 2018/3/29 09:40
I was at Naha airport a couple of weeks ago and had the same predicament as you. There are a large number of different sized coin lockers in both the domestic and international terminal (the international terminal lockers were much more expensive).

Do note that the main lockers near the domestic terminal exit are often filled quickly, specifically the large ones which are found close but not at exactly at the same location as the backpack sized ones.

Note that there is also a large number of coin lockers near the ANA checkin which seems to be much less used (I got a locker here). There are also lockers at most monorail stations but it's pot luck if these are free. The lockers are inside the gates.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage Naha 2018/3/29 16:46
Ah thank you for your information.

I have experience of Toyoko inn that keep luggage before check in but as I understand they cannot guarantee it can be kept after check out.

Somehow it feels like a better option to head early to the airport and leave the bag there at the manned storage and then go directly to the airport after sightseeing instead of having to pick it up from the hotel on the way.

Does it sound like a fair option?

Re: Luggage storage Naha 2018/3/29 17:40
head early to the airport and leave the bag there at the manned storage and then go directly to the airport after sightseeing instead of having to pick it up from the hotel on the way.

Then after check out your hotel in the morning and then take monorail to Naha airport, drop your bag and then again take monorail to go sightsee?

Basically this is what I did one year ago. Yui-rail will arrive at the 2nd floor level so if you can find vacant locker which accommodates your bag, then just do it. If you can't find one, go down to the 1st floor and find the manned luggage storage. Note that there might be coin lockers in other Yui Rail stations and of course you can use them.

By the way, you might better buy 1day ticket of Yui-rail. Unlike many other 1 day ticket in Japan, this ticket is valid 24 hrs from the time of purchase. That means if you buy it at 5:30 of the previous night you can use it until 5:30.

https://www.yui-rail.co.jp/en/faretable.html#2

Re: Luggage storage Naha 2018/3/29 20:20

I understand they cannot guarantee it can be kept after check out

Not sure what you meant, I never have any issue with Toyoko inn keeping my luggage a few hours after checking out. You may confirm with Toyoko Inn in Naha ( if you are planning to stay there).
FYI, the bus terminal for many day sightseeing tours is near Toyoko Inn Naha Asahibashi Station; it would be best to leave your luggage at the hotel if you plan to take a day tour.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage Naha 2018/3/30 05:18
Thank you for your replies.

The reason for bringing the bag to the airport directly in the morning was to avoid having to stop by the hotel on the way to the airport later. I do not know how much I manage to see during the day but probably the Shuri castle and the "nearby" garden. I was thinking of the castle ruins but going so far felt like a risk in missing the flight and I probably would not manage time to see Shuri on the same time.

Maybe it would work out either way. If I leave early to sightseeing I would have to return early to the hotel, etc...

Thanks for the idea on the Yui pass too.

Re: Luggage storage Naha 2018/3/30 06:02
Thanks for the idea on the Yui pass too.

If you are going to Shuri castle and buy the pass, show your pass at the ticket booth. The fare will be discounted from 820 yen to 660 yen. There are some other places which provide discount etc.

https://www.yui-rail.co.jp/wp-content/themes/yuirail_original/file/201...

Re: Luggage storage Naha 2018/3/30 18:17
@frog
Alright. Sounds like a great offer.

I suppose doing Shuri castle and the garden (I think it was a 20 min walk from the castle) would fill up the day more than enough probably.

The closest ruins are about 60-80 minutes away by bus from the bus terminal and the Sefa Utaki also 60 minutes. No big deal if I can't see it as Naha is only a stop over. Renting a car is no option.

Re: Luggage storage Naha 2018/3/30 22:23
Shuri castle and the garden (I think it was a 20 min walk from the castle)

Do you mean Shikina-en? If so you might walk through Kinjo-cho Ishidatami route. This is descending route but very steep so you should wear walking shoes. It will take 30 min by foot. If you have time, I recommend you to go to Tsuboya pottery town (probably by taxi) and then to Kokusui-dori shopping area. Makishi is the nearest Yui-rail station from Tsuboya.

Re: Luggage storage Naha 2018/3/31 00:18
@frog

Ah yes, it must be Shikina-en.

Hmm, looking at the map, the Shuri castle area seems quite big. Maybe I should just concentrate on Naha while there, to avoid any risk of missing my flight.

I probably will have some time to explore Naha when I arrive in Okinawa as it is expected to arrive around 15:00, but it might be spoiled in case of delays. But then I would definitly check out Kokusui-dori, eh, you mean Kokusai-dori right?

I was thinking of possibly checking out the Former Navy HQ "near" the airport, but only if I got time for it.

Re: Luggage storage Naha 2018/3/31 06:31
I probably will have some time to explore Naha when I arrive in Okinawa as it is expected to arrive around 15:00, but it might be spoiled in case of delays. But then I would definitly check out Kokusui-dori, eh, you mean Kokusai-dori right?

Then you will arrive Naha airport at 15:00 on day 1 and leave at 18:00 on day 2? If so you should think how to use the 1 day ticket. I think you should buy the ticket as soon as possible and use it to go to the hotel and then to somewhere of your interest. Maybe you should go to Shuri to see around even if you are too late to go inside. On day 2 go to Shuri and if the time and your energy permit, go down the steep Kinjocho Ishidatami and Shikina-en. You might instead go to Tamaudun, tomb of the former kings. The ticket expires at around 15:30, so you may stay somewhere and buy the final ticket separately or you can go to the airport by 15:30 and take rest there (there are some shops and restaurants).

Yes, not Kokusuidori but Kokusaidori. Kokusai means international and Kokusui means ultranationalism :). This error comes from autocorrect future of my computer. Do you mean former Japanese Navy Headquarter? If so it is far from Yui rail station so you must take taxi or bus.

reply to this thread